Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins MW resume vs Sturms MW resume. Whos is really better & who would win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
    Care to explain why in some detail?

Sturm would outbox Hopkins at long range, use fast hands, excellent jab and fast movements to befuddle Hopkins. Hopkins would look to hit and hold, but with Sturm being a natural MW, Hopkins wouldnt have as big a strength advantage as hes used to having, and Sturm would box his way to a close decision. As said before Sturm has proven a better champ than Taylor, who beat Hopkins twice.

Why did Hopkins steer clear of Sturm?
    You can't be serious....

Taylor is an athletic fighter, something Sturm is not. Sturm is your typical Euro Robot jabber. What's your infatuation with strum? He's arguably lost his last 3 in a row. Get real. He's far from the fighter you're painting him as. he's not a 2 handed fast fighter, he's a 1 handed fighter who would get clinched and mauled in the inside with dirty boxing and cheap tactics.

It'd look a lot like the Winky fight with less headbutts.

Comment

Sounds like no answer 8 times in his career, Hopkins has stepped into the ring and not been good enough to win on those nights. So why the shock that he could possibly lose to top MW like Sturm?

By that logic, Sven Ottke's title defences is also one of the greatest achievements in the history of the sport

No thanks, give me Sugar Ray's Leonard's run at WW, which had significantly less defences over top quality opposition than Hopkins' run at MW, which had a lot of defences over awful opposition, when he could have moved up at anytime to fight Byron Mitchell, Frankie Liles, Joe Calzaghe, Roy jones (rematch)
      I see you're trolling now so this is my last response. Hopkins is a All Time Great, one of the Greatest Middleweights of all Time, oldest World Champion of All Time and 20 successful defenses of his Middleweight Crown. Sturm couldn't carry B-Hop's gym bag. You are obviously trolling us, you couldn't possibly be this stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
        You can't be serious....

Taylor is an athletic fighter, something Sturm is not. Sturm is your typical Euro Robot jabber. What's your infatuation with strum? He's arguably lost his last 3 in a row. Get real. He's far from the fighter you're painting him as. he's not a 2 handed fast fighter, he's a 1 handed fighter who would get clinched and mauled in the inside with dirty boxing and cheap tactics.

It'd look a lot like the Winky fight with less headbutts.
        I have no infatuation with Sturm, I'm just comparing the two fighters. He's clearly past his best now anyway, but yes Sturm is a fast 2 handed fighter with quick feet, an excellent jab and clean punching technique. Though I agree, the power advantage is with Hopkins, and if he closes the distance he will win rounds and hurt Sturm. It would be a close fight either way

Originally posted by jayjames616 View Post
        I see you're trolling now so this is my last response. Hopkins is a All Time Great, one of the Greatest Middleweights of all Time, oldest World Champion of All Time and 20 successful defenses of his Middleweight Crown. Sturm couldn't carry B-Hop's gym bag. You are obviously trolling us, you couldn't possibly be this stupid.

I'm not trolling at all

Sturm is a former world champion, I rate him higher than the Joppys, Allens, Trinidad and ODLH that Hopkins beat. I also rate him higher than J Taylor who beat Hopkins twice

I posted up an interesting debate that has seem to upset you. I wanted to discuss something other than Mayweather-Pacquiao, Lewis-Vitali, Ward-Calzaghe and the other crap that fills up these boards

Why not try and answer in some proper detail instead of getting offended by this thread

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Not really because it was a very weak division for the most part.

He beat the best of his time at MW and cleaned out the division and get's credit for that.

Is it that great of an achievement? Not really.

It's one of the reason's Hopkins is an ATG but if he were to retire after beating Trinidad, he wouldn't be considered an ATG for what he did at Middleweight.
          i disagree if he would have retired before moving up to fight tarver that doesnt really affect his standing at middleweight in history. before hopkins did all that people were comparing him to some of the best in middleweight history.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
            i disagree if he would have retired before moving up to fight tarver that doesnt really affect his standing at middleweight in history. before hopkins did all that people were comparing him to some of the best in middleweight history.
            Well of course it wouldn't effect his standing at MW.

But, he wouldn't be considered an ATG in general if he reitred at that point which answer's your question as to if "Having the most Title defenses at MW is great". It's not.

Felix Trinidad has the second highest amount of Title Defenses at WW yet he's not a Top 10 WW nor is he close. He's not an ATG either in general.

And Hopkins is compared to the best MW's in history in the sense he's a Top 10 MW or at the very least has a strong argument for the Top 10. Despite the fact he just scrapes a Top 10 place, for me.

Comment

Sounds like no answer 8 times in his career, Hopkins has stepped into the ring and not been good enough to win on those nights. So why the shock that he could possibly lose to top MW like Sturm?

By that logic, Sven Ottke's title defences is also one of the greatest achievements in the history of the sport

No thanks, give me Sugar Ray's Leonard's run at WW, which had significantly less defences over top quality opposition than Hopkins' run at MW, which had a lot of defences over awful opposition, when he could have moved up at anytime to fight Byron Mitchell, Frankie Liles, Joe Calzaghe, Roy jones (rematch)
              it is one of the greatest achievements.

Comment

Care to explain why in some detail?

Sturm would outbox Hopkins at long range, use fast hands, excellent jab and fast movements to befuddle Hopkins. Hopkins would look to hit and hold, but with Sturm being a natural MW, Hopkins wouldnt have as big a strength advantage as hes used to having, and Sturm would box his way to a close decision. As said before Sturm has proven a better champ than Taylor, who beat Hopkins twice.

Why did Hopkins steer clear of Sturm?
                You have your mind made up that Sturm is better than Hopkins so my going into detail as to why I disagree won't change your mind. You asked for opinions from us all and I gave you mine. Hopkins had a 10 year 20 defense run at middleweight without a single loss or even a close fight. He finally lost 2 fights that could have gone either way to 27 year old Taylor at age 40. How good do you think Sturm will be at 40 if he is still fighting? He just lost in his back yard at age 34 and before that he should have lost two other fights but got the wins thanks to home country judges. Hopkins toyed with and KOed an inshape Oscar. Sturm edged out an out of shape Oscar and got robbed. Hopkins did not avoid Sturm. Was he supposed to chase him to Germany? Can anyone imagine a prime Hopkins getting KOed by Castillejo? Sturm was 28 when Javier flattened him. But if you think Sturm is better than Hopkins you have a right to your opinion.

Comment

Hopkins resume is drastically better and would annihilate Felix.

Comment

The TS probably hates Hopkins for some reason rather then actually liking Strum.

I am not even going to break it down, but Bernard will break any version of Sturm, It's a joke thinking 'Oh Bernard at age 40 lost TWO CLOSE CONTROVERSIAL Decisions to a Prime fully focused Jermaine Taylor' = Sturm will beat Hopkins.

lol.

Comment

The two fights I said Sturm should have lost were his sd. win over Macklin and his draw with Murray.

Comment

Working...
                      X