Pull ups/dips etc. reduce speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull ups/dips etc. reduce speed?

Do Pull ups/dips etc reduce speed?

Nope. Quite the contrary since its your own body-weight you can do them eoither fast or slow depending on the difficulty. Normally for dips and pull ups I always like to go slow on the way down and explode on the way up to ensure proper form while simultaneously putting the working muscles under max tension.

Dips and pullups are both great for boxing. I highly recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by IronBoxer View Post
      Nope. Quite the contrary since its your own body-weight you can do them eoither fast or slow depending on the difficulty. Normally for dips and pull ups I always like to go slow on the way down and explode on the way up to ensure proper form while simultaneously putting the working muscles under max tension.

Dips and pullups are both great for boxing. I highly recommend them.
      I could not have said it any better

Comment

pull ups & dips are great for strenth but shadow boxing builds speed.

Comment

not at all. . . i mean you probably won't gain any speed if you don't shadow box with resistance bands! they will make your fast twitch muscles stronger so when you do your boxing, you will get better responses. . . help with overall stamina for throwing more punches too. . . also, pullups will improve your reach by widening your back, and allow you to "turn into" your jab better. . .

stick with body-resistance exercises like pull-ups and pushups, because if you do heavyweights you will likely gain bulk, which WILL reduce your speed and agility. . . well not necessarily, but it's more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
            not at all. . . i mean you probably won't gain any speed if you don't shadow box with resistance bands! they will make your fast twitch muscles stronger so when you do your boxing, you will get better responses. . . help with overall stamina for throwing more punches too. . . also, pullups will improve your reach by widening your back, and allow you to "turn into" your jab better. . .

stick with body-resistance exercises like pull-ups and pushups, because if you do heavyweights you will likely gain bulk, which WILL reduce your speed and agility. . . well not necessarily, but it's more likely.
            when boxing competitivley u really dont want to add bulk cause thats just more weight u gotta lose to make the limmit

i know guuys that are 30 some pounds heavier than me but if they were boxing they would be best suited at a lighter weight than me

but to answeer ts

i dont know of any trainer advising there fighter to avoid pull ups and other bodyweight exercises

i mean every gym ive been to has a pullupbar/dip bar thing

its one of the best ways to build upperbody strenghth

Comment

Where is a good spot price wise where i can get those resistance bands ???

Comment

As far as i know pull ups work the antagonist muscles to punching, which should increase your control and speed significantly in the long run. As for dips, they directly work the punching muscles and thus increase your power. Both exercises also work the obliques which should increase your thrust and speed. As a general rule, it is impossible to get slower from doing body weight exercises as you can only get more agile and faster by teaching your body to move itself, since the muscles respond very naturally to this kind of exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by terriblegabe View Post
                  Get some 2lb weights to start and shadow box with those in your hands. You can't just lay your punches out there though, you have to throw them fast to build your speed.

I found those resistance bands to be akward and uncomfortable. Hooks and uppercuts are useless to throw with those bands. With the weights you will have a free range of motion and it will build speed as well as stamina.

And as for pull-ups and dips, I did them everyday. Those exercises works great for fighters........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by terriblegabe View Post
                    Therabands are great for shadowboxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X