Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was JCC a ***** for "making" Whitaker fight at 145? Did it effect the outcome?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    145 is not that bad. Anything below that is bad for Cotto. I've heard Roach talking about 142 which is obscene. But if there is a catch weight then Cotto's belt should not be on the line. I think that's BS. If you fight for the welterweight belt then the weight should be 147 or don't fight. I also don't understand the logic of a catch weight when Pacquiao fought Delahoya at 147. But he won't fight Cotto at 147? That's the area where I see bull****. Also, while 1 or 2 pounds may not seem like much, it can be a factor if the body shuts down at a certain weight meaning the weight wont drop without repercussions. That's what happened to Nate Campbell when his body could not drop from 137 to 135.
    ww any weight above 140 and less than or equal to 147 so 145 catchweight fits into the ww l

Comment

No, he isnt and it didnt. Still, catch weights do have a negative effect on some fighters, like De La Hoya. It all depends on the situation. While I think its cheap to make somebody dehydrate themselves in order to beat them, fighters need to be smart about which weights they will agree to fight at.

Comment

Not really in this case since cotto just weighed 146. If they agree at 145, that's one less pound. So a few less rice & beans for Cotto on weigh in day and he'll be fine [/QUOTE]

LOL yeah I agree 145 won't be that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
          ww any weight above 140 and less than or equal to 147 so 145 catchweight fits into the ww l

No it doesn't and I've seen that twisted logic before. The welterweight limit is 147, not 145 or anything below 147. How many welterweights do you see fighting at 141 or 142?

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

No it doesn't and I've seen that twisted logic before. The welterweight limit is 147, not 145 or anything below 147.
            the limit is 147 lbs, but technically WW is anything from 147 to 141 lbs.

How many welterweights do you see fighting at 141 or 142?
            they could if they wanted to and that's the point.

Originally posted by KJB View Post
            No, he isnt and it didnt. Still, catch weights do have a negative effect on some fighters, like De La Hoya.
            dlh was fine when he fought forbes, then he went on his crazy kangaroo meat diet and rehydrated too late. can't blame anyone else but dlh for that.

It all depends on the situation. While I think its cheap to make somebody dehydrate themselves in order to beat them, fighters need to be smart about which weights they will agree to fight at.
            exactly, if cotto doesn't want to fight below 147 lbs, he can walk away from the pac fight. its just that simple.

Comment

u can only lose so much tho...to those that are saying if cotto can make 146 then he can make 145..or shed 2 more pounds... so when's it gonna stop?.. each pound is very precious..cotto probly struggled to make 146.... one can only lose so much...

Comment

chavez is a ***** period.

Comment

Originally posted by RisAri0 View Post
                  u can only lose so much tho...to those that are saying if cotto can make 146 then he can make 145..or shed 2 more pounds... so when's it gonna stop?.. each pound is very precious..cotto probly struggled to make 146.... one can only lose so much...
                  now let's check out the flipside... cotto will rehydrate to be practically a middeweight and pac a welterweight on fight night... every lbs is precious and so this fight is clearly a mismatch.

the only way to level the playing field is to fight at a catchweight. otherwise cotto should just walk away from the fight.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pullcounter;5511971]the limit is 147 lbs, but technically WW is anything from 147 to 141 lbs.

It is, but if you're cutting off the limit at 144-145 you can't call it a legitimate welterweight championmship fight. I have yet to see a major welterweight fight with the fighters weighing 141-142.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                      Cotto isn't considered a big welterweight either, he's actually quite small.

If it's at 145, to me there should be no excuses from cotto fans IF he loses. Same with Pacquiao if he loses.
                      Cotto is a big Welterweight dude. Sure Cotto is 5'7 5'8 but he is a big guy that once weight 190. He can carry a lot of weight of his body and asking him to go down to 144 is pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                      X