No announcement yet.

Old man robs bank to escape wife, instead sentenced to house arrest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Old man robs bank to escape wife, instead sentenced to house arrest

A Kansas man who robbed a bank to get away from his wife has been sentenced to six months house arrest as his punishment due to his mental health.

Lawrence John Ripple, 70, walked into the Bank of Labor just down the street from police headquarters in Kansas City with a note demanding money and that he had a gun.

He had written the note at home in front of his wife after telling her he would "rather be in jail than at home," the Kansas City Star reported.

After the teller handed him nearly $3,000 in cash, Mr Ripple waited in the lobby for police to arrive.

Mr Ripple had multiple bypass heart surgery in 2015 and suffered from depression that, according to lawyers, went undiagnosed.

Prior to the robbery, he lived a normal, law-abiding life as a husband and stepfather to four children. His public defender called the robbery a "cry for help".

At the sentencing trial Mr Ripple said he had sought medical help for his mental health and said he "feel[s] like his old self".

The vice president of the bank and the teller both supported a request for leniency for Mr Ripple given his mental health state. It is incredibly rare for someone who commits a bank robbery not to be sentenced to prison and Mr Ripple's sentence could have faced up to 37 months per local law.

He will also serve three years of supervised probation and must do 50 hours of community service. Mr Ripple was ordered to pay $227.27 to the bank, which represents the billable hours for bank employees sent home on the day of robbery. He is also required to give $100 to a crime victims fund.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7791586.html

Just get the dude away from her before he does the unthinkable

Comment

Exactly. I see a murder in his future now. Or possibly a murder/suicide. Reminds me of that 911 call I heard where the guy said he shot his wife in the stomach because "she enticed me and ridiculed me". And shooting someone in the stomach is a slow death, so you know he wanted her to suffer.

Comment

I’ve seen this before..

https://abc30.com/news/fresno-pd-ban...n-jail/884855/

Don’t laugh... you get institutionalized, and fear freedom. Before I got released, a guy, old guy, was knocking at the door, to be free... in prison..

I’m lucky, I had a network of people, waiting to support me.

Institutionalization .... dependence on others to determine our lives, our dreams, our everything... they give us a two party system, let us believe we(voters) decide how our country is run...

The interstate commerce law has been misinterpreted to give the federal government the power to ......you guys tell me.... please... someone tell me... something, anything...

Comment

lol..........Judge just trolled the hell out of him

Comment

LOL! Robs bank to escape wife (cruel and unusual punishment).

Gets sentenced to house arrest (wife is the warden).

Comment

Motha****a tried doe

Comment

Sounds like the judge violates his 8th amendment rights to me

Comment

Working...
                X