No announcement yet.

New to boxing...some advice needed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boxing...some advice needed.

Hi everyone, my first post here! I joined this forum as it seemed like a good place to find knowledgeable people who might be able to help me out with a problem I’m having, here’s the backstory:
    I’m British but live in the Philippines where around 6 months ago I started some boxing training 3 sometimes 4 times a week for around 2 hours each session. I say boxing the trainer is actually a muai thai fighter/trainer who’s training me, he started off teaching me some basics of kickboxing but then I asked him to just focus on boxing basics and then maybe later we can move onto the muai thai. We do around half an hour 45 mins of conditioning and stretching followed by some 3 to 5 minute rounds of mitt work and teaching me movement, footwork, combos and punching technique.
    After the first few sessions I noticed that my hands became sore, particularly my knuckles. I put it down to never having punched something for any length of time and just kept on going, a few times during our sessions it would be really painful after a particular kind of connection and I’d have to stop for a second. We started putting some foam in my glove around the knuckles to see if that would help and it did a bit but there was still a lot of pain.
    After 3 months of training I was up to 10 or so 4 minute rounds and generally my knuckles would be sore at the start but then ease off a bit after the adrenaline started pumping and they warmed up but later that day they would be sore and the next day, even after 3 or 4 days break they were still sore and clenching a fist would be painful. Recently I ‘ve had a break from training of 2 months as I went back to the UK but even after that long break from punching mitts (I was still doing the conditioning exercises) my hands still hurt when I clench a tight fist or pick up something like a heavy dumbbell or apply pressure to the knuckles from the palm side.
    I’m keen to get back into the training and ideally I’d like to move onto sparring soon but as you can imagine I don’t want to permanently damage my hands if that can be avoided…
    So a few questions for you guys!
    Could my punch technique not be correct, causing stress or pressure to the wrong parts of my knuckle? (the pain that’s still lingering feels inside my knuckles and is a little worse at the smallest fingers end)
    Do you think the trainer could be resisting or hitting my fists with the pads too hard and should I be worried that he’s not correcting my technique/changing wrapping or gloves (I’m using 12 ounce, I’d have to check the brand when I get home, I think twins and wrapping between the fingers with 1 inch wraps) to help with the problem?
    Have other people had this problem? Does it just eventually just stop hurting after a few years? (I’ve checked the forums knuckle pain seems quite common…but still hurting after 2 months break?)

OK a bit of an essay for you but thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some tips or advice!
    All the best, Chris.

To be honest I have very little experience, I just do boxercise which invloves mitt work and I use a padded insert glove thing with additional wrist wrap support so I would recommend a hand wrap of some sort even with mitts.

Do you feel it more when throwing hooks or straight punches? it's more difficult to through a correct hook than a jab or cross it could be down to technique and reason I mentioed is I have found it quite difficlut to throw a good quick hook, might be cos Im geting a bit older though!

Comment

Don't wrap in between your fingers with the wraps just go over the knuckles, see if that helps.

Alex

Comment

do what ever oyur trainer says and dont doubt him

Comment

Protect your chin the best way you can. Being a brit you're genetically pre-disposed to having an awful chin.

As already stated, just listen to your trainer. After a while you'll be able to determine if what he's telling you is just blowing smoke up your ass or if it's the real deal.

Comment

i would say see a doctor about your hands. they'll probably xray them.

as for the pain. it's common to have it, i'm not sure about 2 months layoff and the pain is still there though. that's why i say see a doctor.

even ray leonard had knuckle pain. he said it himself that it would hurt so bad he thought about quitting after the olympics. so, it is very common. even in an ATGs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Rampant: I feel the occasional sharp wincing pain when I'm jabbing, but generally feel it the worse at the end of the session.

Alex: Yeah i was thinking of trying some different wrapping styles.

Pugilist: Even if my trainer is not really a pro trainer just a guy who has been trained himself and then started training others? I've checked some other links on youtube and they seem to hold the pad stationary not bring it towards the gloves.

Flicker: yeah i'll see a doctor. Whats ATGs by the way?

Comment

Let me guess he brings the pads to your hands. I do Muay Thai, not really boxing. That seems to be common with most people in Muay Thai. I think they do it because it teaches the pad holder to attach the weapon. Unlike boxing, you may grab someone by the wrist or arm to bring them into a knee or some other offensive weapon. With all of that said, the side effect may be that your guy is attacking a bit to hard or at awkward angles. I would highly suggest you find a real boxing teacher, if you are going to work out with a Muay Thai guy maybe you should consider just doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by jim9097 View Post
                  Let me guess he brings the pads to your hands. I do Muay Thai, not really boxing. That seems to be common with most people in Muay Thai. I think they do it because it teaches the pad holder to attach the weapon. Unlike boxing, you may grab someone by the wrist or arm to bring them into a knee or some other offensive weapon. With all of that said, the side effect may be that your guy is attacking a bit to hard or at awkward angles. I would highly suggest you find a real boxing teacher, if you are going to work out with a Muay Thai guy maybe you should consider just doing that.
                  This is a good point, in boxing you definately need to hit the pad and in theory if your not, you need to get in range better.

If you have someone good on the pads they will let you reach the pad and also apply that but of force so that if feels like you have hit something and not just a floppy pad.

I still wonder / think alot when im holding pads them for someone, I sometimes think its harder holding the pads than trying to punch them.

Comment

Working...
                  X