Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth aside, is shadow boxing with weights useful?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth aside, is shadow boxing with weights useful?

I keep hearing stories about injuries, it will slow you down etc

Anyone been doing it for a long time and care to share the pros/cons?

2 kg weights mind you

I'd personally say resistance bands are better & allow a more controlled motion putting less stress on joints & your cuffs. I use those and feel they're superb.

Though there are many in my gym who use dumbells (pretty heavy ones at that) and I've seen Fedor use big ass weights and Floyd shadow boxes with light dumbells.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews from fighters, trainers, etc

Some say they're great and help greatly with conditioning, power, speed etc whilst others say they're dangerous or a waste of time.

Comment

they wont slow you down, just be careful and dont use them while fatigued, you could easily **** up once and cause hyperextension, which believe me(it's happened to me) is no joke and you could be ****ed for life

otherwise it's a great way to shadowbox, for a session, try shadowboxing with weights for awhile then switch to no weights shadowboxing

NOTE: dont use heavy weights, the heavier the harder it is to control the weight and the more your technique suffers, you dont want to end up just being an arm puncher, another reason why you shouldn't box with weights while fatigued
      Last edited by SplitSecond; 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Defututus View Post
        they wont slow you down, just be careful and dont use them while fatigued, you could easily **** up once and cause hyperextension, which believe me(it's happened to me) is no joke and you could be ****ed for life

otherwise it's a great way to shadowbox, for a session, try shadowboxing with weights for awhile then switch to no weights shadowboxing

NOTE: dont use heavy weights, the heavier the harder it is to control the weight and the more your technique suffers, you dont want to end up just being an arm puncher, another reason why you shouldn't box with weights while fatigued
        What about using weights that aren't too heavy, and keeping proper technique? I've used 5 lb dumbells without letting technique suffer; and I do believe it does help with your technique when you're not using them.

I guess it could lead into the discussion of what's too heavy and what is not. Heavy enough for some resistance but keeping proper form is what I'd say.
        __

& yes I believe shadowboxing with weights is best done towards the beginning of a workout- for the reasons you stated.

Comment

the point of shadow boxing is to work on your technique and movement, footwork and all that stuff. its not supposed to be a workout for your arms

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
            the point of shadow boxing is to work on your technique and movement, footwork and all that stuff. its not supposed to be a workout for your arms
            Some might argue it's not really a workout for your arms; but improving technique. Myself included.

It does not need to be done every time one shadowboxes.

Comment

I find benefits in them, tho their may be better ways. Going above 3lb dumbells is no bueno imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Emphasis View Post
                Some might argue it's not really a workout for your arms; but improving technique. Myself included.

It does not need to be done every time one shadowboxes.
                this is what its supposed to look like

0:20-0:50

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
                  I find benefits in them, tho their may be better ways. Going above 3lb dumbells is no bueno imo.
                  Also worth noting, i especially like using weights in shadowboxing when i am focusing on my defense.

Comment

i think its very good, use them myself.

just be careful, dont start your shadowboxing with weights, dont do it when you are fatigued at the end of a workout and dont use too heavy weights. hand weights are supposed to be light, 1-2lbs, 3lbs at most. 2kg is too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X