No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton: Amir Khan deserves his chance against Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Hatton: Amir Khan deserves his chance against Mayweather

Amir Khan deserves his big chance against Floyd Mayweather Jr in the ring, according to Ricky Hatton - even if he'll probably lose.

Speaking at Canary Wharf on Tuesday, former world champion Hatton believes since Manny Pacquiao has come unstuck with two straight defeats, the Bolton-born boxer has the best chance of challenging Mayweather.

"I'll be made up if Amir fights Mayweather," said Hatton, who was at Jubilee Place mall signing copies of his autobiography for fans.

"Mayweather is running out of opponents he's been that good and if anyone deserves a shot it's Amir Khan. There's very few fighters who can match him in speed.

"Normally people fly at Floyd but If Amir can jab, move and keep out the way and, if Floyd has to be the attacker, it could be different.

"I don't think he'll beat him and I don't think Amir will mind me saying that - I think most would class him as an underdog - but it will certainly be interesting if Amir swallows his pride for one fight and doesn't go to war. If he keeps his head and boxes you never know."

The fight between Khan and Mayweather has yet to be confirmed but looks increasingly likely to go ahead next year.

Less likely is Pacquiao and Mayweather - both victors against Hatton.

"I don't think that fight will happen now, unless Pacqiao comes back with a real storming performance," said Hatton. "He struggled against (Timothy) Bradley and got beat by (Juan Manuel) Marquez as well. That fight lost him his shine a bit."

But if it does go ahead, then Hatton will be wanting his former arch-rival Mayweather to win, despite their being no love lost between the two before their fight in 2008.

Because 35-year-old Hatton said the success of the man nicknamed Pretty Boy - unbeaten in 45 fights - makes his performance against him in Las Vegas stand out.

"With every fight Floyd faces my performance is looking better and better," said Hatton. "For the first five or six rounds I had him under the cosh. I've seen Floyd mention a few times that I was the only one from start to finish who tried to beat him.

"A lot of people think 'I'm not going to beat him' and coast a little but I didn't."

Regarding the talent coming through on these shores, Hatton believes a host of British boxers will be competing for top prizes, starting with middleweight Billy Joe Saunders, who won the British Boxing Writers' Best Young Boxer award for 2013 this week.

As well as Saunders, Hatton said he has his eye on the Olympic 2012 successes such as Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell.

"Billy Joe Saunders won the award and the majority of those who win it become world champion," said Hatton. "Hopefully he will. He is very talented and has a great chance.

"As do all the Olympians who had a great Games last year and are now turning professional. It will be great to see how they progress. Boxing is in a really healthy state."

Hatton was at Canary Wharf publicising his autobiography War and Peace at an event organised by Waterstones.
    http://www.wharf.co.uk/2013/10/ricky...n-deserve.html

no ......................

Comment

experts know amir khan speed and style can give problems to mayweather
      Last edited by trixx12; 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, Amir's speed and activity might give some trouble to Floyd. But his crappy balance and no chin are huge demerits that will always be his downfall

Comment

He clearly does not deserve a chance against Mayweather, regardless what you think the outcome of the fight would be.

Comment

Ricky's been snorting coke again.

Comment

Khan has 0% chance of winning this fight.

Comment

Working...
              X