No announcement yet.

Donaire-Narvaez: Good stay busy fight; Broner-Rees: Not watching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
    consider the opposition. Rees was never a champion.

but again, it's hard to knock a guy for staying active while he chases the better fights in the division. there's been nothing yet to suggest Broner doesn't want the other top guys at LW after DeMarco.
    Of course it's easy to be a champ these days and even in Rees case it's laughable but he was a champ at a higher weight and that still have to be respected by the ones who seems to be taking shot at his shorter height like it meant much.

Comment

Broner has different standards than other fighters because a) His mouth, b) some idiots pound for pound rankings and c) the comparisons to Floyd Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Except Narvaez was the top 115 pound fighter with like 25 title fights

Rees is not good enough to even be a paper champ

Broner is fighting a guy the same size at 135 that nonito did at 118 and nowhere as good
        So basically, you rather watch the top guy at a weight class below vs one of the top guys at the weight class above him, rather than two top 10 guys in the same weight class go at it?

Comment

He's just chasing Ricky Burns, he could have fought Vasquez
          we don't know that he could have fought Vazquez, whose promoter has deep ties to Top Rank. that GBP-TRI cold war has stood in the way of plenty good fights.

possibly he could have fought Vazquez, but we do not know how feasible that fight really was. we can only speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            and that still have to be respected by the ones who seems to be taking shot at his shorter height like it meant much.
            that's a fair point. the height factor is being overstated. maybe it's because Broner seems to fight a lot of stumpy guys. but then he also fought some tall, long guys like Litzau and (more significantly) DeMarco, so...

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              So basically, you rather watch the top guy at a weight class below vs one of the top guys at the weight class above him, rather than two top 10 guys in the same weight class go at it?
              I didnt know how the Varvaez fight would go, but he was the top 115 fighter with 25 defenses. Yes i would rather watch the guy from a lower division then a guy who sucks and has fought nobody in the same division

Rees is not a top 135 fighter either

Comment

Rees is not the same height as Broner, official stats be damned. but people are making much too big a deal of the height business. Rees being short shouldn't call into question his ability to compete with Broner, what should call it into question is that he's a UK domestic/EBU level fighter and little else above that. that said, it's a keep-busy fight. i will watch it to watch Broner do his thing.
                I don't know about that bro, Rees looks like he stands with bad form.

My former English professor told me he's 6' tall. I told him straight up "No man, you're bull****ting, you can't be 6 feet tall". He has a hunched form of standing, so he stood up straight and it instantly showed his true height. It doesn't look like he walks too hunched, just a slight hunch made a big difference in his height.

Comment

Rees is a very good fighter... at UK domestic/EBU level. he's out of his league here. he is pure keep-busy fodder.

Comment

I didnt know how the Varvaez fight would go, but he was the top 115 fighter with 25 defenses. Yes i would rather watch the guy from a lower division then a guy who sucks and has fought nobody in the same division

Rees is not a top 135 fighter either
                    Who had Narvaez fought at BW? And name his notable wins at SFLW.

Comment

Rees is a very good fighter... at UK domestic/EBU level. he's out of his league here. he is pure keep-busy fodder.
                      He is way out of his league. But I don't like how fans don't call a spade a spade just because they dislike the fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X