No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Well anyone in the Top 20 would have been better than Darren Barker.

Macklin was a solid win considering he should have got the decision against Sturm but It's hard to say he was the best option out there.

Martin Murray yet another obvious joke of a fight.
    Murray's rankings: Ring #8, WBC #3, WBA #3, WBO #1. He's a former Commonwealth titlist. He had a draw vs. Sturm (who I considered the #2 MW at the time) and Sergio is coming off an injury. Murray is the same caliber of opponent (maybe even better) as Barker. Unlike when Sergio fought Barker, I actually know who Murray is. I don't think Murray is that bad of an opponent. The problem with MW is that the other top fighters (Geale/Golovkin/Quillin/Pirog) are not fighting each other, so Sergio fights contenders instead. IMHO, there's no reason to put his lineal title on the line if there's no indisputable #2 to defend it against. A case can be made for Geale though.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      Murray's rankings: Ring #8, WBC #3, WBA #3, WBO #1. He's a former Commonwealth titlist. He had a draw vs. Sturm (who I considered the #2 MW at the time) and Sergio is coming off an injury. Murray is the same caliber of opponent (maybe even better) as Barker. Unlike when Sergio fought Barker, I actually know who Murray is. I don't think Murray is that bad of an opponent. The problem with MW is that the other top fighters (Geale/Golovkin/Quillin/Pirog) are not fighting each other, so Sergio fights contenders instead. IMHO, there's no reason to put his lineal title on the line if there's no indisputable #2 to defend it against. A case can be made for Geale though.
      Why does he have that ranking? Can somebody enlighten me?

Because he got a draw in a fight that the majority of people thought he lost? What else?

Murray is a joke of an opponent.

Comment

He's the only fighter (with enough star power to the average fan) that fights around 154 that can beat Floyd. He's fast, strong & powerful. He's also beatable, but you'll need size to do it.

He's an anomaly. He beat the Punisher & took his mantle of most avoided. But the (most avoided) mantle doesn't mean all fighters are afraid of you. It only pertains to the big star fighters. Pirog & those guys would fight him, but the ginger's & Floyd's of the world avoid any city he's in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          He's the only fighter (with enough star power to the average fan) that fights around 154 that can beat Floyd. He's fast, strong & powerful. He's also beatable, but you'll need size to do it.

He's an anomaly. He beat the Punisher & took his mantle of most avoided. But the (most avoided) mantle doesn't mean all fighters are afraid of you. It only pertains to the big star fighters. Pirog & those guys would fight him, but the ginger's & Floyd's of the world avoid any city he's in.
          Bush you made good points but you are essentially measuring the MW champion relative to him beating 2 guys not at his weight that he expresses fighting only because they bring him a huge payday. WHy not discuss his options at 160?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Good fighter but he's taken too many soft touches in the last year or so.
            In the last 2 years he's fought Chavez Jr., Macklin, Barker, Dzinzurik, Williams and Pavlik! Of all of them Dzinzurik coming up from light middle would be the only one I would call a soft touch, and even then the guy is a great technician! I don't know where your going with the soft touch thing

Comment

hes good but his resume stinks imo theres only a handful of worthy opponents to some extent isnt his fault

Comment

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
                In the last 2 years he's fought Chavez Jr., Macklin, Barker, Dzinzurik, Williams and Pavlik! Of all of them Dzinzurik coming up from light middle would be the only one I would call a soft touch, and even then the guy is a great technician! I don't know where your going with the soft touch thing
                Let's see, Darren Barker had only had 1 fight above domestic level and in that one fight he had at European level he looked terrible. Wasn't ranked in the Top 20 at MW or even close yet he's not a soft touch?

Macklin's a solid win but again, not a world beater. Due to the fact he should have got the W over Sturm it's a solid fight but he's really not that good. People who have followed his career know this. But again, solid, none the less.

Williams and Pavlik are good wins, absolutely. That's what rightfully won him FOTY for 2010. Hence why I said "In the last year or so".

Now he's fighting Martin Murray. Who, other than getting an undeserved draw against Sturm has done nothing in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post

Pirog hasn't done anything besides talk in his career for me to seriously think he would take a fight with Martinez or even attempt to unify

Comment

When I first watched a Martinez fight I thought he would get exposed when he stepped up in class. This is because the way he fought is so peculiar, hands down and chin out. My bro told me "...this guy is the real deal" and I was like "...just watch some one is gonna catch him when he sticks his chin out." Then I started paying attention. His movement is good the guy moves in and out of range with amazing ease. His reflexes are superb, he has hands speed and power. Sticking out his face allows for him to counter. I was wrong about Martinez, he serves to be in the P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                      Bush you made good points but you are essentially measuring the MW champion relative to him beating 2 guys not at his weight that he expresses fighting only because they bring him a huge payday. WHy not discuss his options at 160?
                      1st off, forgive my rusty behind. I didn't even know that Dulorme got stopped!! But if I'm not mistaken in the original post I did say Pirog & those guys meaning the middleweights in general. I have no doubt that most would fight him.

However My points were focused on the fights he has left & the 1 matchup that's actually worth something to both the casual fan & the full time boxing fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X