Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jimmy Bivins--Greatest fighter to never win a title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Bivins--Greatest fighter to never win a title?

Jimmy held wins over--Archie Moore, Ezzard Charles, Charley Burley, Yarosz, Lesnevish, Maxim, Soose, Lloyd Marshall, Tami Mauriello, and went the distance with prime Walcott and Harold Johnson. Also went the distance several fights with prime Moore and Charles.

Arguments can also be made for Sam Langford, Holman Williams, Lazlo Papp, Billy Graham, Willie Joyce, Kenny Lane and others.

One glance at Bivins' resume and it's hard to argue against him as one of the if not the greatest fighter to never win a title. In today's era of alphabet titles and four champions per division, I would be willing to bet anything that Bivins would be an undisputed champion at 175 today. Or would he, thoughts?

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/9974

I think Burley would generally be considered ahead of him on a mythical all-time list. To last that era without being KO'd despite being the smaller man says a lot in addition to the reviews and reports especially that of Eddie Futch.

Bivins is up there though. I think Langford is the greatest that never won a title. Hell on paper he might even be top 3 that ever did it period.

Comment

Speaking of Ezzard Charles, I've heard him mentioned here as the all time best light heavyweight, even though he never got a shot at the title there? Agree or disagree on Charles being the best light heavy all time?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Speaking of Ezzard Charles, I've heard him mentioned here as the all time best light heavyweight, even though he never got a shot at the title there? Agree or disagree on Charles being the best light heavy all time?
        I would say a toss up between Charles and Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I think the way we judge over time is different. My guess is back then if you didn't win the championship you couldn't be considered as the greatest especially when the comparison is a guy that reigned for 10 years.

I'm 32 and have been into studying history and rating who I consider the best and whatnot since around 1995/1996 and have always considered Charles as the #1 and that's perhaps because of the head to head tie-breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I would say a toss up between Charles and Moore.
            I would throw in Tunney.; like Charles never actually held the title. (I think maybe the American LHW Title, Tunney that is.)

Comment

Sam Langford is the greatest fighter to never win a title In my opinion.

Comment

Why didn't Charles ever get a shot at the light heavy title? Was it a race issue or that whoever was the champ was ducking him because of how good Charles was?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                  I think Burley would generally be considered ahead of him on a mythical all-time list. To last that era without being KO'd despite being the smaller man says a lot in addition to the reviews and reports especially that of Eddie Futch.

Bivins is up there though. I think Langford is the greatest that never won a title. Hell on paper he might even be top 3 that ever did it period.
                  This right here! Well said.. ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post

Burley was a great fighter, but does have a loss to Bivins. I think what hurt Burley most was that his style wasn't considered exciting or television-friendly, and even if Robison could beat him, he wouldn't look good doing it. The fact that Burley could take a fight with Moore on short notice and go right from his day job to the venue and beat him on points is a testament to his greatness and it's a shame he never got his shot at Robinson.

Comment

Working...
                    X