No announcement yet.

Call me a prophet if you will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me a prophet if you will

But I think that if we were able to taste our galaxy the Milky Way it would taste of raspberry.......

Here, have another

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
      Here, have another

Well I'll be damned. I was right. You can worship me now.

Astronomers find Milky Way 'could taste of raspberries'
      Astronomers testing a giant dust cloud at the heart of the Milky Way have found that it might taste of raspberries, according to reports.

Scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Bonn, were searching space for evidence of amino acids: the basic chemicals from which life is created.

They told the Guardian newspaper that, despite failing to locate any such aminos, they did find a substance called ethyl formate, the chemical responsible for the flavour of raspberries.

Radiation from the star is absorbed by molecules floating around in the gas cloud, which is then re-emitted at different energies depending on the type of molecule.

While scouring their data, the team found ethyl formate as well as evidence for the deadly chemical propyl cyanide in the same cloud. The two molecules are the largest yet discovered in deep space.

Astronomer Arnaud Belloche said: "It [ethyl formate] does happen to give raspberries their flavour, but there are many other molecules that are needed to make space raspberries."

The results are being presented today at the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science at the University of Hertfordshire.

Last year, the team came tantalisingly close to finding amino acids in space with the discovery of a molecule that can be used to make them, called amino acetonitrile.

Previously, astronomers have detected a variety of large molecules, including alcohols, acids and chemicals called aldehydes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...spberries.html

My next prediction is that the milky way will smell like rum.
      Last edited by Iamnotausername; 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X