No announcement yet.

The most desired career among young people today is "Youtuber"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most desired career among young people today is "Youtuber"

According to a recent study, there’s a stunning new answer to the age-old question, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’

Three-quarters of young people are considering a career in the online video industry, reports The Sun, citing a survey of 1,000 kids and teens aged six to 17 conducted by travel company First Choice. At the same time, according to the survey, one in 25 children said they wanted to be a model while one in six said they harbored pop star aspirations. At the top of the list, however, more than one-third of respondents said they wanted to be a YouTuber.

Rather than traditional careers paths, like teacher or doctor, the survey found that young people today desire careers that will give them creativity, fame, and self-expression, per The Sun. Money, interestingly, is not a chief motivating factor, coming in at number four.

To this end, respondents also said that they wish media studies and video editing were taught in school — as opposed to traditional subjects like English and Math.

The top 10 jobs kids want, per the First Choice study, are as follows: YouTuber, blogger/vlogger, musician/singer, actor, filmmaker, doctor/nurse, TV presenter, athlete/teacher, writer, and lawyer.

I can understand the appeal. It's not realistic for most of them though.

I'm just glad it's not software developer, since the push to oversaturate this market is already aggressive

Comment

My kids can literally watch a "grown idiot" play video games for hours on youtube. Than i found out how much some of those "idiots" made & it made me feel like an idiot.

Comment

No different than any other era where kids all wanted to be movie stars, rock stars, or famous athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          No different than any other era where kids all wanted to be movie stars, rock stars, or famous athletes.
          Which basically means there will be an excess of waitresses, Uber drivers, and pan-handlers in the next decade.

Comment

That’s pretty sad actually. The world is coming to sht.

Comment

It's no different than when kids want to be like Michael Jordan or Kim Kardashian or Donald Trump.

The bad part is that they don't aspire to master certain skills or develop into the best human they can be. They aspire to be like some schmuck who doesn't give two ****s about them.

Comment

So? I'm well off now, but I had to work my ass off. If young people want a career doing YouTube videos, and are willing to put in the work, what's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Pechorin View Post
                  So? I'm well off now, but I had to work my ass off. If young people want a career doing YouTube videos, and are willing to put in the work, what's wrong with that?
                  Nothing wrong with it. But they better have a plan B and not hinge all their hopes on being famous. It takes a lot of followers to start earning any sort of real money you can live comfortably on.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    Funny enough all the three professions you mentioned required skill, training, practice & hard work.
                    To be a youtuber you need a camera and internet or a smart phone, both can be found and put to use in their parent's basement.

Comment

Working...
                    X