No announcement yet.

Prime for prime who wins at 168..Joe Calzaghe or GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
    Come on man, I was as big of a BHOP fan as anyone heading into that fight and I was embarrassed at how he had to fake low-blows and illegal punch damage in order to catch breathers because Joe was too much for him. He talked all that garbage pre-fight then got beaten by the guy moving up in weight.
    It was embarrassing, but he did that because he couldn't fight at a high tempo at 43. But he still landed the better punches, even though he threw less shots. Most of Joe's shots were completely ineffective.

Joe should have been at LHW much sooner than he was. He had to starve himself to make SMW. It wasn't hard for him to move up, he just didn't have to cut as much.

Comment

• It's a close one. But I'd favor GGG by about 60/40. I think it would be a 7-5 type UD in GGG's favor. Calzaghe's speed and unorthodox style would give him tons of problems though.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
        It was embarrassing, but he did that because he couldn't fight at a high tempo at 43. But he still landed the better punches, even though he threw less shots. Most of Joe's shots were completely ineffective.

Joe should have been at LHW much sooner than he was. He had to starve himself to make SMW. It wasn't hard for him to move up, he just didn't have to cut as much.
        they weren't even landing. i'm not sure how "he needed a breather" a completely subjective comment translates into calzaghe wnning 7 rounds. do you go back and change the other rounds because you think he was tired?

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Skull View Post
          Why don't you slow it down and count each one then lol, clinching isn't scoring shots either and Bernard did more clinching than he did with trying to land effective punches.

The fight was a clear UD win for Joe who commanded the action for the majority of the fight apart from one fluke knock down Joe made adjustments and Bernard couldn't keep in the fight 116-111.
          what adjustments? throw more punches that didn't land in order to trick the judges, trick the uninformed fans watching, and give fuel to biased people who lack a coherent argument? he was not landing clean punches. hopkins was. it was an easy fight to score. calzaghe tried to be aggressive but was missing(credit to hopkins defense) while hopkins timed him with clean shots. round after round the pattern held. this is just the "he tried hard" argument all over.
          Last edited by daggum; 06-04-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Joe would slap GGG silly.

Comment

• neither guy would take the fight anyway...moot point

Comment

• Great fight only because GGG has never fought at 168 and is smaller. I'd go with Joe on points

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
                  Would say Zags, plus he had a great chin and who knows how well GGG's power will carry up? Abraham was a beast a MW too.
                  No he didn't.

Comment

• Calzaghe in a clear 9-3 or 8-4 type fight. Too much movement and punch output, once he started to slip the jab GGG would struggle to land much at all. Walking down Calzaghe winging punches never worked.

Comment

Working...
                    X