Roman Gonzalez was never top #100 P4P Never mind #1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dontbeahater View Post
    Say Wha? There was Andre ward...
    And his resume is trash. Let's be honest. He was in the weakest division in boxing. Tom Loeffler made a deal with HBO to hype ggg and Roman. You didn't notice it was the same narrative on both?

Then Roman got wrecked when he fought anyone same size with skills. Ggg got wrecked the same.
    Notice a trend?
    Gonzalez inherited it when Mayweather retired. Ward had just come off his layoff and was fighting Smith, Barrera and Brand. As Neetzsche said there wasn't really anyone to be no1. Then we got all those great matchups in 2017 to establish some order.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I thought he was pretty awesome in his prime.
      He was. Lotta folk are dismissive of the lowest divisions and the TS has productively spent the weeks since he joined starting threads such as 'Lomachenko isn't in my top 50 P4P' just to give you an idea.

Myself I don't do P4P, but Chocolatito's accomplishments (and the eye test) certainly ranked him among the best in the world for a time.

Comment

He was an awesome fighter. Great offense, highly skilled for a brawling type and for a smaller man he had great longevity and beat some very good fighters and had some nice accomplishments. The people who claim he lost to Estrada and Cuadras didn't watch those fights or just decided who they wanted to win and I am a big Estrada fan. I attended all of those fights and got my moneys worth.

People hated him because they get offended by mythical lists which don't mean a damn thing whereas real boxing fans just enjoyed him.

Comment

Originally posted by cally83 View Post
          Wrong! So what, he beat a bunch of nobodies at flyweight? So that makes him a great fighter!? Laughable.
          based on you're lack of knowledge, there's no point.
          because you don't know most of his opponents anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by cally83 View Post
            Roman Gonzalez is the biggest hype job of all time. Former P4P #1 laughing my ass off. The resume:

Best win - Estrada - decent B level fighter
            Other good wins - Cuadras - But he really lost this fight - ROBBERY.
            ... ... ... No other good wins.

Then faced 20-1 underdog Wisaksil Wangek a rat-eating champion turned boxer, who had already lost to Akira Yaegashi, Yushin Yafuso, Kenji Oba and Cuadras. Wangek won clearly on points and knocked Gonzalez down. The badly scored split decision didn't really matter. They rematched and he KO'D him brutally and outclassed him from the start.

Why was there so much hype around the midget, bum-bully Gonzalez? What is it with overrating these tiny slappy fighters in P4P stakes? There's at least 40 heavyweights better P4P than Gonzalez.
            Imbecile...

Estrada a B level fighter🤣🤣

I’ve heard it all now

Comment

I never understood the hype behind him either, let alone his P4P status as #1.

He was an excellent text book fighter above his peers, but not in the same class as Ward, Canelo, or even GGG who all have natural gifts that truly seperate them from their peers.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                He was an awesome fighter. Great offense, highly skilled for a brawling type and for a smaller man he had great longevity and beat some very good fighters and had some nice accomplishments. The people who claim he lost to Estrada and Cuadras didn't watch those fights or just decided who they wanted to win and I am a big Estrada fan. I attended all of those fights and got my moneys worth.

People hated him because they get offended by mythical lists which don't mean a damn thing whereas real boxing fans just enjoyed him.
                Came here to say the bolded. Spot on

Comment

You are in charge of your own pound for pound best list and nobody else's. You don't get to dictate who we put on our pfp top 10 best lists. Pound for pound is just personal opinion and not provable fact. Your opinion means everything to you and nothing to others who already have their own opinion. Gonzalez was high up on every respected pfp list including Ring, Boxrec, ESPN, Showtime, HBO, Boxing Scene and all the others. So you say they are all wrong and only you are correct on where Gonzalez rated PFP which is not even in the top 100.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                    Refer to your own username mate
                    My pt is Roman was good. But not p4p #1. The hype was disgusting especially by Kellerman. Remember when saying he wasn't meant getting yelled at by the fanboys with Roman offense is so good he don't need a defense. That ended real well for Roman's face.
                    Loma at least fights at or beyond his weight and imo was helped by the salido loss to temper down expectations until he was ready.

Flyweight classes are about 2 or 3lbs apart so once Roman got to 122-126 it was over. Most go 126 to 130 asap because no money below 126. Same with cruiserweights

Comment

Working...
                    X