No announcement yet.

Timing can beat Speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing can beat Speed

What's your experience with this statement ?

Can good timing really beat someone with superior hand and footspeed ?

Originally posted by Peterp
    What's your experience with this statement ?

Can good timing really beat someone with superior hand and footspeed ?

yes cause it can set them off pace

Comment

One thing it can also make up for is power. Ali didn't have a whole bunch of power, but what he did was fire off shots with his opponent coming in to maximize the effect with two momentums coming torward one another.

Comment

This is a touchy statement, but it is somewhat accurate. Timing can make up for anything except losing. Timing leads to potential good counter punching, which can mean the difference in a fight. However, If you dont have the TIME to have good TIMING because your opponent is Roy Jones fast, then it doesn't really matter. Also, Foreman was an excellent example of power over timing. He got rocked plenty and lots of his punches were slipped/counter punched, but his power was ridiculous.

Comment

In a sport like boxing, rules were made to be broken. Timing can and does conquer speed but sometimes speed can destroy timing, if you know how to vary your speed and punch output to confuse the hell out of the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            In a sport like boxing, rules were made to be broken. Timing can and does conquer speed but sometimes speed can destroy timing, if you know how to vary your speed and punch output to confuse the hell out of the opponent.
            That's just another form of timing though.

Comment

I come from fencing, and I'd mentioned this in another thread, but in fencing, guys get hypnotized by the sound of the blades clashing, and fall into a rhythm. I was a musician for awhile, and it made it very easy to anticipate and counter once they fell into time.

In boxing, some guys get into a rhythm -- not a bad thing -- and stay there -- a bad thing. There are some guys at my gym who are faster than me, but their combos come at the same rhythm every time, and slipping and/or counterpunching becomes very simple once you get their pace worked out. Even though they're "faster," you can still sting them on the upbeat. The really good ones have different paces to their combos -- that's when it gets really hard. For me, anyway.

Comment

That's why it's good to practice many different speeds on the speed bag.

Comment

Cheers for the replies fellas

Comment

In boxing, some guys get into a rhythm -- not a bad thing -- and stay there -- a bad thing. There are some guys at my gym who are faster than me, but their combos come at the same rhythm every time, and slipping and/or counterpunching becomes very simple once you get their pace worked out. Even though they're "faster," you can still sting them on the upbeat. The really good ones have different paces to their combos -- that's when it gets really hard. For me, anyway.
                    Exactly! You shouldn't become predictable with anything in boxing. Upper body movement, punch rhythm, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X