ESPN: Mayweather/Berto shaping up to be a box office dud

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: Mayweather/Berto shaping up to be a box office dud

By ESPN's Darren Rovell

If this is Floyd Mayweather's last fight, he's going out with a dud at the box office.

With a little more than four days until Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto at the MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Ticketmaster shows there are more than 2,100 seats available -- and that doesn't even count the tickets that are typically held by the promoters.

That's despite the fact that the face value of this fight -- ranging from $125 to $1,500 -- is significantly lower than the prices for Mayweather's fight in May against Manny Pacquiao.
    There are more than 2,100 seats still available for Floyd Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto despite reduced ticket prices from Mayweather's May fight against Manny Pacquiao.

StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said the leading resale site had an average ticket sale price of $5,095 for Mayweather's fight against Pacquiao, while the average sale for Saturday's fight is more than six times less ($799). As of 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, only 25 seats to the Mayweather-Berto fight had been sold for more than $1,000 on StubHub.

In fact, the site has done a bigger business on the Anthony Joshua-Gary Cornish fight in London on Saturday than Mayweather-Berto.

While hotels in town had raised their prices to more than four times their normal rates for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, there has been no bump for Mayweather-Berto.

Late last week, as ticket sales halted, MGM Hotels started offering more aggressive deals to those who have frequently stayed at their properties. One offer was $1,000 for a two-night stay at the MGM Grand that included two Mayweather-Berto tickets.

The lack of interest in Mayweather's opponent is understandable. Berto has lost three of his last six fights, and many don't believe that this, Mayweather's 49th fight, will be his last because another win after this would allow him to pass Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0.

"This is 100 percent his last fight," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe reiterated to ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Still, gamblers aren't particular intrigued with Mayweather-Berto either. In order to win $1 at the Wynn Sports Book, a bettor favoring Mayweather to win would have to risk $35.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-ticket-prices

I read this. Knew it would make more than a few NSB regulars happy.

Comment

Who cares really? Are some posters on here getting a slice of the pie? If so, who? Because as a fan I don't give a flying fuck what fighters make.

Same goes for PPV figures, hotels, venues, managers, trainers, referees or any other of that rubbish. When did casual fans become fans of numbers rather than the sport? Wankers

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
        By ESPN's Darren Rovell

If this is Floyd Mayweather's last fight, he's going out with a dud at the box office.

With a little more than four days until Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto at the MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Ticketmaster shows there are more than 2,100 seats available -- and that doesn't even count the tickets that are typically held by the promoters.

That's despite the fact that the face value of this fight -- ranging from $125 to $1,500 -- is significantly lower than the prices for Mayweather's fight in May against Manny Pacquiao.
        There are more than 2,100 seats still available for Floyd Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto despite reduced ticket prices from Mayweather's May fight against Manny Pacquiao.

StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said the leading resale site had an average ticket sale price of $5,095 for Mayweather's fight against Pacquiao, while the average sale for Saturday's fight is more than six times less ($799). As of 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, only 25 seats to the Mayweather-Berto fight had been sold for more than $1,000 on StubHub.

In fact, the site has done a bigger business on the Anthony Joshua-Gary Cornish fight in London on Saturday than Mayweather-Berto.

While hotels in town had raised their prices to more than four times their normal rates for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, there has been no bump for Mayweather-Berto.

Late last week, as ticket sales halted, MGM Hotels started offering more aggressive deals to those who have frequently stayed at their properties. One offer was $1,000 for a two-night stay at the MGM Grand that included two Mayweather-Berto tickets.

The lack of interest in Mayweather's opponent is understandable. Berto has lost three of his last six fights, and many don't believe that this, Mayweather's 49th fight, will be his last because another win after this would allow him to pass Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0.

"This is 100 percent his last fight," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe reiterated to ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Still, gamblers aren't particular intrigued with Mayweather-Berto either. In order to win $1 at the Wynn Sports Book, a bettor favoring Mayweather to win would have to risk $35.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-ticket-prices
        In other words, this fight has only sold 12 or 13,000 tickets and the live gate is going to be much smaller than Mayweather/Pacquaio. How shocking! I wonder if this writer will come back in two months and write a blog about how this dud of a fight sold more tickets than GGG/Lemieux and Cotto/Alvarez, had a larger live gate and a larger number of PPV sales than both of those fights? I doubt it! I also doubt that any of the haters who will eat this piece of crap passing itself off as legitimate journalism will say a word about it either.

Comment

I couldn't care less, as long as I enjoy it, that's all that matters to me personally. I hate floyd but this event got me excited, what can I say. It's a solid card all around, I'm very much looking forward to watching Johnny in action again (Mex vs PR), SALIDO & ROCKY (MX vs PR, will be ONE HELL of a fight - Salido is coming for the kill), hopefully Groves KOs Badou PLUS Berto will go for broke against floyd.

It will be entertaining and well worth the money for me!!

Hatred is preventing some people from enjoying this event, A LOT OF people will regret passing up on this card. The card will give A LOT to talk about the day after. I pity whoever misses it. It will be fun, even the main event.
          Last edited by The Problem Child; 09-08-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel1981 View Post
            Who cares really? Are some posters on here getting a slice of the pie? If so, who? Because as a fan I don't give a flying fuck what fighters make.

Same goes for PPV figures, hotels, venues, managers, trainers, referees or any other of that rubbish. When did casual fans become fans of numbers rather than the sport? Wankers
            As a fan you should care because money drives the sport, 'it's a business'.

It also sets a precedent. It's saying to promoters/fighters 'You want to host horrible mismatches? Fine, but it'll cost you'.

I hope this fight fails massively, not because I resent Floyd's success but because it'll hopefully force other fighters to think twice about hosting mismatches, something that has been a cancer to boxing the past few years.

Comment

Still enough time for piss drinking or women beating

Comment

I'm a huge Floyd fan. Have him in my top 3-5 favorite fighters of all time but **** this fight. I won't be watching it. And I might regret it but oh well. If it bombs then so be it. I'm really hoping he returns for a 50th fight, assuming he doesn't get Tyson'd/Buster'd by Berto

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                  In other words, this fight has only sold 12 or 13,000 tickets and the live gate is going to be much smaller than Mayweather/Pacquaio. How shocking! I wonder if this writer will come back in two months and write a blog about how this dud of a fight sold more tickets than GGG/Lemieux and Cotto/Alvarez, had a larger live gate and a larger number of PPV sales than both of those fights? I doubt it! I also doubt that any of the haters who will eat this piece of crap passing itself off as legitimate journalism will say a word about it either.
                  I did notice that and I was thinking doesn't the MGM hold like 15,000 or something like that and there's only 2100 left how is that a disappointment but whatever I don't care.

I will say the M life did send an email to me and my wife about a deal to go to Vegas for the fight but we just got back from Hawaii and there's no way were doing that.

Comment

I can only imagine some of the inner circle of Team Mayweather is surprised by this. Fanboys & haters alike were not excited about this fight & this fight not selling well seemed like a solid bet.

Oddly though I think this fight proves the difference & shows the haterism going on with Mayweather's resume with so many of his previous opponents sucking by Sunday for some fans & this opponent who sucked way before Sunday September 13.

Comment

Working...
                    X