Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Smoger's take on Cotto-Margarito (Great Read)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always rated Smoger. But why did he say "take your time" when Cotto was gettin the bandage retaped....since when do you get to take your time?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      Always rated Smoger. But why did he say "take your time" when Cotto was gettin the bandage retaped....since when do you get to take your time?
      I think he wanted them to get it right the first time.

You see these trainers rushed to tape and it keeps coming off.

Take more time now so they don't have to deal with it later.

Comment

This year, we’ve had several incidents with fighters hugging and kissing and quitting, and complaining about shoulder injures and low blows…

Lol an obvious shot at Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz, Bernard Hopkins and Zab Judah.

Comment

My favorite ref from now on---he lets the fighters fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            I think, but I may be wrong, that Smoger probably knew that Cotto's trainer, Pedro Diaz, was experiencing his first professional fight and in this magnitude to do something as routine as re-tapping the glove wrapping may be hard to do under that spotlight.

Comment

Steve smoger is the complete opposite of joe Cortez

Comment

great read

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  December 05, 2011
                  SMOGER: STOPPING THE FIGHT "WAS THE DOCTOR’S ORDERS"
                  By Doveed Linder

Last Saturday, Steve Smoger was the referee for the rematch between WBA 154-pound super champion Miguel Cotto and his 2008 conqueror, Antonio Margarito. On Saturday, Cotto won via technical knockout due to the fact that Margarito’s surgically repaired right eye being completely closed at the end of the ninth round due to Cotto's punches. ********** spoke with Smoger to get his take on the pre-fight proceedings, the action in the ring, and the eventual stoppage.

STEVE SMOGER: I was absolutely honored to be selected by Melvina Lathan, the commissioner of the New York State Athletic Commission. When she contacted me, she told me that she had confidence in my abilities and she felt that I would fit for a fight of this magnitude. That selection was approved by Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, the vice president of the WBA. And that’s the process – you are selected and then approved. But it was Melvina’s call and she’s the greatest. I have a world of respect for her and I told her that I was honored and that I would do my best to live up to her expectations.

We had a rules meeting before the fight at Madison Square Garden. It was Mrs. Lathan, myself, and Aurelio Fiengo, who was the supervisor for the WBA. He’s a great guy. We met with the champion first, and this is my third title fight with Mr. Cotto. I worked his fight with Paullie Malignaggi, which was his last fight at 140. And he had a very exciting KO in Atlantic City over Carlos Quintana, which I worked as well. So we have a very positive association. We go over the rules and I noted that he was exceedingly loose. We asked him if he wanted the instructions in Spanish or English, and he said English. And I wish I spoke Spanish as fluently as Miguel speaks English. He was excellent. So we went over all the rules and we wished him well.

Next, we go see Tony Margarito. And I see him and I say, “The Tijuana Tornado!” I lighten it up, and he was smiling and he was very respectful. He carries himself with class and dignity. I had never worked with Antonio before, but I’ve been in his presence. I’ve always admired his ability in the ring and I had no preconceived notions about his past. I don’t know what happened and it’s not my place to judge the situation. And the immediate feelings I have for these warriors in indescribable. When I met with Miguel and Tony, I knew that I was going to get 110% out of both fighters. I could feel it in the dressing room. As a referee, I can just sense these things.

And I had no worries about anybody working outside of the rules, because of the efficiency of the New York State Athletic Commission. Two inspectors were there for the wrapping of the hands. In fact, chief inspector Felix Figueroa made sure there were two inspectors in each dressing room from the minute each fighter walked in the building. The eyes of the commission never left Cotto or Margarito the whole night. George Ward, a veteran state inspector, was assigned to Margarito and he was focused on the wrapping from the minute the tape and the gauze was delivered. And this was all handled by Commissioner Lathan.

After we go over the rules with Margarito, I’m standing in front of Tony. [His trainer] Robert Garcia is next to us. And I said, “Antonio, you are a complete fighter.” I said that in Spanish. I said, “Your eye doesn’t bother me, bro. I don’t care about all the stuff about the eye. You are a complete fighter.” And when I said that, I saw the concern on Margarito’s face leave. He knew I was going to give him a fair shake and that he was on an even playing field. I had the commissioner on my right shoulder, I’ve got HBO on my left shoulder, and I’ve got the supervisor from the WBA two feet from me. But I wanted to assure this young man that he was a complete fighter. Miguel Cotto is the star from Puerto Rico, Antonio Margarito is the hero from Tijuana, but the ring at Madison Square Garden was completely neutral. And from my perspective, there was a sense of relief from Margarito. And Robert Garcia said to me, “We’re glad we’ve got you, Steve.”

Now, for the fight… Both as a fan and as a third man, I had never seen Miguel Cotto box so skillfully. He was absolutely fantastic. His movement and his change of direction kept Tony off balance to a great degree. And when they got close, I didn’t want to break them up, because I knew that Cotto had something cooking. He’s using angles and just when you think it’s a clinch, he threw a tight combination. It was beautiful! And his movement was exceptional. He really took on the role of a boxer and his new trainer made some big differences. It was the most complete I’ve ever seen Miguel Cotto. From Tony’s perspective, I have never seen him better conditioned, I’ve never seen him more focused… He was on a mission. He did not take one step back the entire evening. And every time he was hit, he smiled and said, “Woooooo!” What a pleasure it was to be in the ring with these warriors! They gave it everything they had!

After the ninth round, we go to Margarito’s corner. The doctor called me over. And they get the eye physician who is one of the top rated opthalmologists in the country [Anthony Currieri]. And Antonio was pleading to continue. He said, “Steve, please! Give me one more round!” He said he felt great and that he wanted to keep going. But the doctor said, “Steve, you have to stop it. The eye is closed.” But I hesitated, because I wanted to make sure that all of the doctors were in agreement. If there was any delay, if there was any hesitancy, it came from me. I wanted to make sure. It’s hard to stop a fight when a guy keeps coming forward. Tony fought valiantly and I always want to give the fighter every opportunity, so I wanted to make sure that there was no confusion about this.

This year, we’ve had several incidents with fighters hugging and kissing and quitting, and complaining about shoulder injures and low blows… But Margarito wanted to fight! His eye was closed and he wanted to fight! He had no excuses whatsoever and that’s what boxing is all about. You want warriors? Give me Tony Margarito! Give me Miguel Cotto! They weren’t going nowhere, brother! I love these two fighters! They had a big draw, they fought at Madison Square Garden, they fought for a title, and they got paid. What more can you ask for?

As I entered the elevator to exit Madison Square Garden, I saw Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. So I said, “Hi, Junior. How are you?” And he said, “Hi, Steve. What did you think of the stoppage?” I said, “Doctor’s orders, Junior. Doctor’s orders.” When I went outside the building, I was greeted by several Mexican and Puerto Rican fans. I signed autographs, took pictures… Some of the fans agreed with the stoppage, some of them felt the fight should have continued. I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders, because what could I say? It was the doctor’s orders.

I was going to highlight certain areas, but the whole interview is good.

Boxing talk .com
                  Smoger is the truth!!!....what he said about Marg is so REAL!!!!

Comment

What a great, respectful person. Boxing needs guys like this, man.

Comment

Smoger is the man! One of the best refs ever!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X