No announcement yet.

Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Bricks View Post
    Stephen Hawking has existed for 68 years, so what does that make him? What does that make his theories?

It's unfathomable to me, why people decide to bind themselves to a certain set of values, whether it be the teachings of a spiritual being or a scientist.

Just seems like no matter what all of you think, you're just going to run in circles forever like a bunch of idiots.

The universe is too vast and complicated for anyone to understand, so why don't we stop perpetuating the age-old argument of religion vs science and accept the fact that we simply can't understand it?

To each his own?

edit: Hawking is ducking me.
    When u look at the world around u, do u think we havent made any progress in understanding the universe?

U would prefer to still be living like chimps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Bricks View Post
      Stephen Hawking has existed for 68 years, so what does that make him? What does that make his theories?
      This is completely irrelevant to the point that I am making.

It's unfathomable to me, why people decide to bind themselves to a certain set of values, whether it be the teachings of a spiritual being or a scientist.
      Scientists do not bind themselves to the "teachings" of scientists. Scientists aim to find out, through observation, what the truth is and they follow the evidence. This means that far from "following" a strict set of "teachings" theories change and are refined as our techniques of observation improve and our body of knowledge grows.

Science has a very good track record.

Just seems like no matter what all of you think, you're just going to run in circles forever like a bunch of idiots.
      Erm...

The universe is too vast and complicated for anyone to understand, so why don't we stop perpetuating the age-old argument of religion vs science and accept the fact that we simply can't understand it?
      Lightning/disease/sunrise/nutrition/agriculture/geology/chemistry/respiration/inheritence/reproduction/rocket engineering/surgery is too vast and complicated for anyone to understand, so why don't we stop perpetuating the age-old argument of religion vs science and accept the fact that we simply can't understand it?

To each his own?
      This is only reasonable to somebody who simply hasn't considered the evidence.

And again if you don't want to participate in debate you have the right to remain silent. But you don't have the right to try and make everybody else remain silent, just because the discussion makes you uncomfortable.

Comment

• To be able to create something out of nothing.....wow...what a miracle!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
          When u look at the world around u, do u think we havent made any progress in understanding the universe?

Id prefer to live like gorillas personally. If I can whoop you I get the girl. The rest of the day I just do whatever I want.

Comment

• why can't we just all agree that we don't know?

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              This is completely irrelevant to the point that I am making.

Scientists do not bind themselves to the "teachings" of scientists. Scientists aim to find out, through observation, what the truth is and they follow the evidence. This means that far from "following" a strict set of "teachings" theories change and are refined as our techniques of observation improve and our body of knowledge grows.

Science has a very good track record.

Erm...

Lightning/disease/sunrise/nutrition/agriculture/geology/chemistry/respiration/inheritence/reproduction/rocket engineering/surgery is too vast and complicated for anyone to understand, so why don't we stop perpetuating the age-old argument of religion vs science and accept the fact that we simply can't understand it?

This is only reasonable to somebody who simply hasn't considered the evidence.

And again if you don't want to participate in debate you have the right to remain silent. But you don't have the right to try and make everybody else remain silent, just because the discussion makes you uncomfortable.
              If talking condescendingly to me makes you feel superior by all means go ahead, but the point that I am trying to make is that instead of debunking what someone believes, why not try and understand it? Kind of makes you the same as an Evangelical, just not as big of a douche bag.

Common courtesy, I guess. But never mind, I'll just bow to you, forum master.

Comment

• I like Philosophers>Scientists>Theologians>Religious

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightfan82 View Post
                  Well if you were stuck in a chair unable to move your entire life with nothing to do but think, I'm sure you would come up with all kinds of thoughts and theories.
                  The fact that he isn't caving under the pressure of a God and Afterlife, where he can be in a better physical state then he is currently under, ought to be respected.

Any average IQ'd man or woman with the condition he's in, and they're caving in and grabbing their Bible or Qu'ran in prayer of a better tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
                    I'd be pissed off with the world and religion if I had the same cards dealt to me as Hawking.
                    Why would he be so pissed as to dismiss God in the stage he is in.

Wouldn't you wanna grab on to any shred of hope that there is something better for you out there then sitting paralyzed in a wheel chair for the rest of your life with nothing else to look forward to.

People who just have problems with every day things, or not having their ****t together financially cling to God, yet alone a paralyzed mutant looking thing.

He could do that if he were that desperate, but his rationality isn't allowing him to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post

Another Genius known as The Unabomber certainly thinks so, and thinks it would be the solutions to most our problems (environmentally and on a individual level).

Comment

Working...
                      X