No announcement yet.

PBC fights are always better then they seem on paper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    This has always been my question. If not for PBC where would these fighters be fighting? HBO cut their budget and as we see with the fighters they choose to showcase they're going for a different demographic. Fights like Collazo v. Vasquez aren't worth of Shobox. So where would these fighters be fighting? And why are journalist against more work? They're covering boxing more now than ever before. Maybe they're lazy and don't want to work.

There's been some good. There's been some bad. Like boxing has been for the past hundred or so years. Much more good than bad. Nobody matches their prospects tougher than PBC. People like to ignore that and focus on the Lara-Foreman type cards. Funny how the Arum's and De La Hoya's of the world can marinate fights and build fights up but Haymon must put on tough fights every fight. Boxing has never been that way, ever!
    its an effect and not a cause. Before teh cold war richard and haymon caused HBO was putting on collazo and all these others fighters.

Comment

Is it really necessary to dig out all the old threads where Top Rank and Arum were being slated? Most of you have been here too long for that to be necessary.

If you think the Haymon/PBC criticism is somehow unprecedented it's because you have become a fan of a company. 2014 was probably the worst year I can remember as a boxing fan. 2015 & 2016 weren't much better. This despite a huge number of fighters being united under the one umbrella, with no obstacles to matching them. If you think this doesn't merit criticism you've become a cheerleader.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR MIKEY! View Post
        its an effect and not a cause. Before teh cold war richard and haymon caused HBO was putting on collazo and all these others fighters.
        HBO banned his fighters, and people cheered that action . So with HBO banning Haymon' s fighters, where would they be fighting without PBC?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          Is it really necessary to dig out all the old threads where Top Rank and Arum were being slated? Most of you have been here too long for that to be necessary.

If you think the Haymon/PBC criticism is somehow unprecedented it's because you have become a fan of a company. 2014 was probably the worst year I can remember as a boxing fan. 2015 & 2016 weren't much better. This despite a huge number of fighters being united under the one umbrella, with no obstacles to matching them. If you think this doesn't merit criticism you've become a cheerleader.
          Don't pull out the threads. Pull out the media articles. We know fans are gonna criticize the promoters. Show me where the media colluded to wage OR war against Top Rank. And I use the word collusion because the media all used the same talking points against Haymon. You think they came up with those talking points independent of each other? Or is it just a coincidence Rafael writes an anti PBC article the week after he spent the weekend watching fights at Arum' s home?

Comment

HBO banned his fighters, and people cheered that action . So with HBO banning Haymon' s fighters, where would they be fighting without PBC?
            AND Why did hbo bann haymon fighters? is HBO racist?

FYI half of pbc stable still aint getting fights.

Comment

To me, PBC is filling the void left by ESPN removing Friday Night Fights, and HBO severly reducing the number of Boxing After Dark programs. They are filled with more or less the same quality fights and fighters. I don't mind, nor do I think they are doing a revolutionary thing. If anything I think more people tune into PBC events than either of the aforementioned programs, so I guess a couple more eyes to the product benefits everyone, never the less, they are what they are, and I appreciate that at that level, knowing exactly how a fight will turn out is less likely - and sometimes (hopefully regularly) you get a barn burner that excites the fans.

Comment

There's been some good. There's been some bad. Like boxing has been for the past hundred or so years. Much more good than bad. Nobody matches their prospects tougher than PBC. People like to ignore that and focus on the Lara-Foreman type cards. Funny how the Arum's and De La Hoya's of the world can marinate fights and build fights up but Haymon must put on tough fights every fight. Boxing has never been that way, ever!

Just stop it for 500m there should've been a whole lotta great some good and a little bad. Pbc is an absolute failure which is why they're going back to the old set up.

Edit: let me just add I think Schafer is a untrustworthy pos, but haymon shouldn't of started this without him. Pos or not Schafer really knows how to make good shows. Dude is legit.
                Last edited by Flash13; 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

no they arent...

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                    I was just thinking watching the fights last night that pbc cards are almost always bashed, granted it is an atmosphere created by boxing writers as a smear campaign sometimes even on gbp payroll directly or indirectly as we knew and are being confirmed by the gbp pbc case. But the point is that pbc cards seem to always deliver in the ring for the most part. Yes you have your prospects in overmatched fights thats a given but overall pbc cards are almost always entertaining and more competitive then they seem before hand.

I was also thinking that we know of so many more boxers that we wouldnt even know if it wasnt for pbc. so people *****ing about robert easterwouldnt even know who he was if it wasnt for pbc. Same goes with the prospects early in weekday cards we are getting to know fighters we wouldnt even know of otherwise for the most part.

what do you guys think though do you think the constant bashing of pbc cards is getting old when more times then not it turns out to be way more competitive or the underdog even wins?

I just feel we have created an atmosphere where its so hard for pbc to get a fair shake in every scenario not to mention were being cheated by boxing writers when it comes to pbc. whether or not you like pbc you should want the honest truth from boxing writers not a smear campaign.
                    Agreed. Some of their cards on Bounce were amazing shows, particularly the raushee warren vs payano 2 card

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
                      Everybody crapped all over Matthysse vs Molina until Matthysse was put on his ass twice. Maybe people don't know as much about boxing as they think they do.
                      THIS.

Theatre of the Unexpected

Comment

Working...
                      X