No announcement yet.

Anybody grow up watching Ali in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
    I'm translating from a non-boxing or sport related magazine, a memorial. It's so sweet.
    "It was 70s, we were children of a Turkish family moved to Germany to make money. Life was hard. Once a week there would be Turkish radio broadcast and we used to wait for it to hear whats happening in our homeland. We used to wake up early to watch Ali's fight, our fathers sometimes would spend the night awake to watch Ali fight early in the morning and go to work dizzy having been awake all the night. They would talk about the fight when they come together at work.
    My father was telling me that their chief/supervizor was mocking with him through Ali, the chief was a German. When Ali lost the first time against Frazier, it made all of us so saddened. After his loss the chief did mock with my father again. But then when Ali dropped Frazier my father went to the chief to talk about Ali's win, trying to say "Ali hit him and grounded him" starts to mimic with his fists and feet because his German was not sufficient. So, what happened is, my father says the chief knew what he meant but acted the fool and reported him to a higher manager saying that "This Turk threatened me, he says he will beat me". They fired my father. He came home with a bread in his hands at evening but he wasn't sorry, rather happy. He did lost his job because of Ali but his for love for him never decreased."
    Great story.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchMeIDareYou View Post
      Ali was a draft dodging, arrogant loudmouth who was a bad representation of the black community. All in all, he was a warrior inside the ring but a coward outside out of it. Condolences to his family.
      Don't blame him for dodging the draft that war was stupid, unjust.

Comment

Yea, millions upon millions saw him fight in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Bayless View Post
          If i could go back in time to watch 1 fight live it would be ali foreman. The buildup and the outcome was something else
          I thought the same thing either that one or the first Frazier fight.

Comment

I was 9 years old listening to Liston/Clay on a huge radio in 1964. I can still hear the announcer saying that Clay was 'bobbing and weaving'. I didn't realize until much later that the fight was fixed;...... Liston threw the fight by request of the 'mob'.

Comment

My first boxing memory at all, was Ali-Foreman. My dad woke me up in the middle of the night to watch the fight. Dad was a huge Ali fan. I rooted for Foreman because dad had told he punched so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Adonis Creed View Post
                I imagine it being like a Steph Curry in this day but even bigger and keeping it up for a decade.
                Steph who?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  I am slightly older, but my family always watched boxing on TV, Howard Cosell 0n ABC's wide world of sports.

I remember watching the Vietnam war on TV.

Same here, i used to watch the war on tv. I used to watch Ali fight.. I'm glad to have grown up in a time when boxing was awesome, and very popular. I saw Ali once when he was just starting his pro career.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
                    Same here, i used to watch the war on tv. I used to watch Ali fight.. I'm glad to have grown up in a time when boxing was awesome, and very popular. I saw Ali once when he was just starting his pro career.
                    Great stuff brother. Agreed. Social media has ruined boxing in many ways.

Peace!

Comment

Working...
                    X