Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fighters cutting 20 lbs, are they using some illegal method?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
    There isn't a culture of HUGE weight cutting in Boxing compared to MMA. People used to cut weight in the past by just starving themselves (something which I heard Broner did for his last fight) but Wrestlers who went into MMA brought about techniques on how to cut a lot of weight, fast.

Huge weight cuts are far more common in MMA than they are in Boxing. There is now an IV ban post weigh-in in Nevada I believe, so that has led to fighters managing their weight better in between fights and not blowing up as much.

Huge weight cutters are Chael Sonnen, Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman, Conor McGregor amongst many others. I heard Chael Sonnen saying he was going to cut like 20+lbs in just under a day, pure with water, baths, saunas.
    Gray Maynard would cut from 185-195 all the way down to 155.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
      There isn't a culture of HUGE weight cutting in Boxing compared to MMA. People used to cut weight in the past by just starving themselves (something which I heard Broner did for his last fight) but Wrestlers who went into MMA brought about techniques on how to cut a lot of weight, fast.

Huge weight cuts are far more common in MMA than they are in Boxing. There is now an IV ban post weigh-in in Nevada I believe, so that has led to fighters managing their weight better in between fights and not blowing up as much.

Huge weight cutters are Chael Sonnen, Ronda Rousey, Chris Weidman, Conor McGregor amongst many others. I heard Chael Sonnen saying he was going to cut like 20+lbs in just under a day, pure with water, baths, saunas.
      Why is is so extreme in MMA? I've heard competitive wrestling weight cuts are pretty savage. Is that where it comes from?

Comment

It isn't the fighters cutting 20 pounds that are suspicious, it is the ones adding 20 pounds by fight night who are clearly way too big for their weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          It isn't the fighters cutting 20 pounds that are suspicious, it is the ones adding 20 pounds by fight night who are clearly way too big for their weight class.
          eh? the ones cutting 20 lbs are the ones putting those 20 lbs back the next day

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
            I just watched a handful of their fighters have a discussion about weight cutting the other day.

Rockhold and Weidman both cut to 185, from over 225. On one occasion Weidman took a fight on 2 weeks notice and cut 34lbs to make it, on another occasion he cut 18lbs on 8 days. It was an interesting watch.
            Link? And yea Weidman is nuts with some of his cuts. Heard him talk about one or both of the cuts you mention with Ariel. His body is gonna say f#ck this eventually like Hendricks.

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            Why is is so extreme in MMA? I've heard competitive wrestling weight cuts are pretty savage. Is that where it comes from?
            Thats always been my assumption. I went to a HS with some serious wrestlers & these mfers were doing crazy **** to make weight in 9th grade & ****. Thats gotta carry over to college & beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              eh? the ones cutting 20 lbs are the ones putting those 20 lbs back the next day
              Not really. Tim Bradley cuts a lot of weight in training camp but doesn't put on much by fight night. He might walk into the gym at 170-180 but he's 150-155 or so on fight night.

Whereas a fighter like Chavez Jr. is not only cutting 40 pounds, he's putting 30 back on by fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                Well MMA has grappling where the extra weight plays a huge role. Weight cutting was around but when the wrestlers started to enter MMA (mid 90's Coleman era) they brought about weight cutting techniques. Obviously the HWs didn't need it.

From what I read, Wrestling doesn't have much time between the weigh-in to the fight which shouldn't allow for huge weight cuts as they don't have enough time to rehydrate. This means they should compete closer to their natural weight.

This would be great in MMA IF the fighters stayed at a lower weight in between fights but you'll always get people who push the limit and pay for it in the ring.

Comment

Anyone who fought at a higher weight as an amateur than fights at a lower weight as a pro i.e. Ward, Spence, Porter would be suspicious

Comment

Working...
                  X