No announcement yet.

Neck exercises for boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck exercises for boxers

What do you think is the best training method to develop a strong and thicker neck for a boxer, shrugs? neck bridge exercise? weighted neck harness? ect....? Any knowledgeable weight lifters or former/current wrestlers feel free to chime in.

There's a few clips of a young Tyson doing some insane neck bridge routine, which I've tried emulating because I naturally have a strong neck and I'm pretty flexible, but I'm wondering how safe it really is. My old trainer use to have me doing an easier version of this along with holding a towel around your neck/head and slowly bringing your head up while creating resistance by holding the towel down.

Aforementioned Tyson clip.

ive nvr rly thot of safety issues with body weight exercises as long as they're in done in a controlled fluid(?) motion...
    should be safe i think..
    ok nvm, im no health scientist, lets wait for a real response

Comment

Theres nothing "insane" about it all fighters do it! The towel brace is a good way to start because you can control the force.
      The neck is your jaws shock absorber so it must be ready along with the legs that keep you up or at least let you get up!
      Ray

Comment

A neck exercise we do at our gym is lay flat on your back and look straight ahead, but do not let your head touch the floor (or mat). Look to your right, then bring your head back, then look left, all the while never letting your head touch the floor. Do that 30 times. Then again face forward and bring your chin to your chest and return back, again not letting your head touch the floor. Do this 30 times as well.

Of course you can add reps if you want to.

Comment

Working...
        X