Pedro Diaz + Guillermo Rigondeaux= PERFECTION

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    I agree.

Ronnie Shields wanted to turn him into an aggressive fan friendly fighter. In the Cordoba fight he looked good early on. He was walking him down and came out agressive but you could tell that style wasn't for him. After the 6th round he went back to what he knew best, the amateur style of landing a shot or two and moving.

Under Pedro Diaz he looked much sharper, relaxed and confident than I've ever seen him. Hopefully he continues to get better and develop his pro style. Scary thought but I do think he still has significant room for improvement. With every fight, he seems like he's getting more accustomed to the pros.
    I agree. After the Cordoba fight, I saw improvement in every one of Rigo's bouts. With that in mind, I was highly disappointed when the Poonsawat fight fell through. I wanted Guillermo to get in work against a highly rated fighter before the Donaire fight. It was surprising to see how easily Rigo handled Nonito, but shocking to realize that "El Chacal" apparently had another gear left. Honestly, I believe that even if Donaire had fought better, Guille would've simply upped his performance. Rigondeaux is even more special than I ever thought he was.

Comment

Does the Rigo win solidify Pedro as a top trainer?

Subject line

As it relates to the pros, does the Rigo over Donaire win prove that Pedro has what it takes to be among the sports top trainers? His amateur record speaks for itself, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the pro game, just like sparkling amateurs don't transition all the time to the pros.

Its amazingly hard for a guy with so few pro fights, irregardless of skills to beat a seasoned and still good/still prime fighter, just ask Dulorme.

Pedro revitalized Cotto with the Margarito rematch and the Mayweather fight. He had a brain fart by changing up Cotto's training dramatically prior to the Trout fight, making him look more shop worn than he's ever looked. He took criticism from fellow trainers and fans and lost that luster.

Did he redeem himself by having Rigo prepped and ready to go and win such a huge fight?

Discuss

Comment

I've got a lot of respect for Pedro Diaz, he seems like a really smart guy. But I'd regard this particular victory as being all Rigo to be honest.

Comment

between rigo/donaire and cotto getting to floyd-diaz stock is really high right now. I'd love to see Broner go work with him.

Comment

I took notice in him when Cotto hired him, seems like a hell of a trainer with some innovative and unconventional training methods/philosophies. I'm sure he's also got tons of experience training amateur champions and Olympians correct? He seems legit as fuck, hope he doesn't thin himself out too much by working with too many fighters like most trainers tend to do when they get some buzz.

Comment

He's a great trainer for boxer types. I think he's steering Cotto in the wrong direction.

Comment

While guys such as the one in my avi were producing world class champs in the pros Pedro was doing it with the ams.

Unfortunately unlike Rigo which has convinced the nay sayers of his amateurs achievments translating to the pro world, Pedro will need more than the Margo and Donaire wins to convince doubters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                  I've got a lot of respect for Pedro Diaz, he seems like a really smart guy. But I'd regard this particular victory as being all Rigo to be honest.
                  I agree for the most part. I think Pedro is a terrific trainer, but it's easy to look great with an exceptional talent like Rigo. Cotto is no slouch, either. I will say this, though: Even if you're a top fighter, you need an great coach to guide you versus another top fighter. Robert Garcia seems like a good coach to me, but it seems like he dropped the ball, both in and out of the ring, with the Rigondeaux fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack
                    I disagree with this. The day after the fight my bro asked me if I thought Diaz had anything to do with the victory and I told him absolutely. I also thought Mayweather vs Cotto was pretty competitive but Cotto has crap stamina unfortunately. Who knows what would've happened if Cotto was a 12 round fighter, he gassesDiaz had a good plan.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by caredjo View Post
                      He's a great trainer for boxer types. I think he's steering Cotto in the wrong direction.
                      I don't think Cotto is with Pedro anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X