No announcement yet.

Weight Training Help...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MusclesMalone
    having a low bodyfat and functional muscle. use compound lifts( squats and deadlifts, bench press, standing military press, pull-ups) with any rep scheme outside of 6-12 really. believe me i defenitaly had a bulky look to me, and lots of that muscle was just useless wieght.
    the main thing is: you can exercise, but the cut look is 100% about having low body fat. eat minimal carbs(enough to fuel but not too many) and stay very active, being it with lifting, or any other exercise. eat properly( 6-8 small meals a day) lift a few times a week if you want, go for either high reps(around 20) or low reps(under 6, and do your boxing training(if you box) or bike or run. any amount of lifting will make you look very muscular with low bodyfat.
    appreciate it man good k coming your way...

Comment

Originally posted by oliverlt
      this is what I was trying to correct light weight and more reps will not add bulk. Proved it with the bodyweight post. I have nothing against Kayo, but I see alot of people come in the gym and get hurt cause they don't know about lifting and proper workouts. My biggest pet pive is guys who arch their back while benching. Your body is actually very smart, it finds out how to do something more efficiently. Like if your Max bench is 300 in 1-3 weeks you can prop do 305. This is how strength is built, forcing your body to find a why to lift heavier weight. So when you do alot of reps at 150 why would that make your body grow. It's muscular endurance at low weights. Bodyweight exercises are actually cardio. So why would they make your body grow.
      depends on what light weight high reps are. Normally low reps is described as less than 6, high reps is 6-12 or 8-15 depending on who you ask. less than 6 is for strength and, like musclesmalone says, you REALLY have to eat to gain mass doing low reps like that. If you, on top of that, do a lot of boxing oriented workouts, getting any kind of muscle gain is virtually impossible.
      Now, if you go over 15 reps, it's really not strength training anymore, it's muscle endurance, which is pointless for boxers to do with weights, because they already train that in everything else they do. Why waste time doing 20 rep benchpressing, when hitting the heavy bag is MUCH more effective for the same purpose?
      Yes the body finds a way to get stronger if you push it. However, if you push it with heavy weight/low reps, the adaption that makes you stronger is NEURAL. This means that your neural system enables more of your already existing muscle fibres that weren't accessible before. If you take a human muscle, only half the actual fibres can be activated, the rest are held in reserve. When you train heavy your neural system will recruit more of these fibres, enabling you to get stronger with no additional muscle mass. That is why the only way to get STRONGER without getting bigger, is heavy weight/low rep.

On the topic of bodyweight, have you ever seen top gymnasts? They do nothing but body weight exercises. Now compare a 140 lb boxer to a 140 lb gymnast, who has more muscle? The gymnast hands down. All bodyweight exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
        What is toning, if it ISN'T bigger muscles, and it ISN'T burning fat to make your body look toned??? What's the difference between LOOKING toned and BEING toned? You're speaking absolute nonsense.

I was saying that cardio alone won't tone your body, It will burn fat. So if you burn all of your fat off and you have no muscle underneath then are you toned? or just skinny? Thats why you have to do muscle toning exercises to develop the muscle for when you shed the fat. Heavy lifting is bad for boxers mainly for lighter weight boxers cause it makes your muscles shorter and more compact. Curls are considered to be the worst for a boxer cause it tightens your biceps. Why would you train your body for 2-4 sets of 5 reps of a high weight when you are going to be atleast a hundred to two hundred of punches in a fight.

Comment

depends on what light weight high reps are. Normally low reps is described as less than 6, high reps is 6-12 or 8-15 depending on who you ask. less than 6 is for strength and, like musclesmalone says, you REALLY have to eat to gain mass doing low reps like that. If you, on top of that, do a lot of boxing oriented workouts, getting any kind of muscle gain is virtually impossible.
          Now, if you go over 15 reps, it's really not strength training anymore, it's muscle endurance, which is pointless for boxers to do with weights, because they already train that in everything else they do. Why waste time doing 20 rep benchpressing, when hitting the heavy bag is MUCH more effective for the same purpose?
          Yes the body finds a way to get stronger if you push it. However, if you push it with heavy weight/low reps, the adaption that makes you stronger is NEURAL. This means that your neural system enables more of your already existing muscle fibres that weren't accessible before. If you take a human muscle, only half the actual fibres can be activated, the rest are held in reserve. When you train heavy your neural system will recruit more of these fibres, enabling you to get stronger with no additional muscle mass. That is why the only way to get STRONGER without getting bigger, is heavy weight/low rep.

On the topic of bodyweight, have you ever seen top gymnasts? They do nothing but body weight exercises. Now compare a 140 lb boxer to a 140 lb gymnast, who has more muscle? The gymnast hands down. All bodyweight exercise!

you forget alot of lighter weight boxers werent born with natural power. and alot of them have to decide in their workout if they want power or speed.

Comment

I was saying that cardio alone won't tone your body, It will burn fat. So if you burn all of your fat off and you have no muscle underneath then are you toned? or just skinny? Thats why you have to do muscle toning exercises to develop the muscle for when you shed the fat. Heavy lifting is bad for boxers mainly for lighter weight boxers cause it makes your muscles shorter and more compact. Curls are considered to be the worst for a boxer cause it tightens your biceps. Why would you train your body for 2-4 sets of 5 reps of a high weight when you are going to be atleast a hundred to two hundred of punches in a fight.
            You just said that cardio will make you "look toned," as if that was somehow different than BEING toned. What's the difference?
            Second, make up your mind, if you high reps won't develop muscle, how is it going to help the toning that cardio won't do? If it doesn't develop muscle, then it's pointless for toning.

Stop your bull****, hearsay, MYTHS, please! Here is why I used the Jane Fonda thing before; Heavy lifting won't make your muscles shorter if ít's done right, especially not in the context of a full boxing regimen, which should include stretching. MYTH plain and simple. Where do you propose the material that gave a muscle it's length before is gonna go? And how do you propose the muscle should grow bigger and lose length at the same time?

Also, I NEVER said a boxer should do curls. Curls are bull**** for boxing!

My point about low reps, compared to what you do in a fight, isn't to make it resemble what you do in a fight. That is what all the boxing related training is for. OBVIOUSLY weights are not a replacement for pads, sparring, shadowboxing etc.
            In fact, THAT is my point! Why do countless reps with weights, when the other stuff is more effective for that? Waste of time.

What I DO propose using weights for, is gaining STRENGTH.
            My next post will expand this issue..

Comment

you forget alot of lighter weight boxers werent born with natural power. and alot of them have to decide in their workout if they want power or speed.
              Here's another point you're missing, because you don't have the basics down.

What is power? Power is acceleration (which is speed) x weight. Since the weight is a given because of weightclasses, you want as much acceleration (speed) as possible, at your weight, to give you as much power as possible. Since speed is correlated to an athletes max strength at a given weight, the best way to increase your power, is to increase your max strength, which gives you a higher potential for speed. This has to be converted through technical training of course, but that's not the issue here.

Higher max strength makes more speed. If you can do this AND stay in your weight division, your power will increase.

Look at Olympic weightlifters. Al their training is high weight/low reps. You won't find many athletes as explosive as these guys, except maybe 100m runners. And guess what? These guys have weight divisions they need to stay in too.

Comment

And I'm not saying that a boxer should be a weight lifter. But he shouldn't be a long distance runner either. These two opposites are "easy" to train, because one is all explosiveness, and the other is all endurance.

A boxer needs both, and therefore needs to train both strength/explosiveness and endurance. For some reason most people seem to understand the endurance part, but miss the rest, or just don't know HOW it's achieved. I blame this on outdated training MYTHS like the ones you're helping to maintain with your posts. Go back, find one of my first posts, read the book I mentioned.

Comment

Quick Question

U guys box after or before you lift weights? (Assuming you lift weights n box the same day)

Comment

**** look at the arguement i started...

Comment

Here's another point you're missing, because you don't have the basics down.

What is power? Power is acceleration (which is speed) x weight. Since the weight is a given because of weightclasses, you want as much acceleration (speed) as possible, at your weight, to give you as much power as possible. Since speed is correlated to an athletes max strength at a given weight, the best way to increase your power, is to increase your max strength, which gives you a higher potential for speed. This has to be converted through technical training of course, but that's not the issue here.

Higher max strength makes more speed. If you can do this AND stay in your weight division, your power will increase.

Look at Olympic weightlifters. Al their training is high weight/low reps. You won't find many athletes as explosive as these guys, except maybe 100m runners. And guess what? These guys have weight divisions they need to stay in too.

strength does not give you speed. Do you think one of these huge bodybuilder/strongman contests could throw a baseball faster than a small Nolan Ryan. They have more strength than Nolan. Look at a heavyweight and a flyweight who is faster and has more speed. I never said boxers shouldn't lift weights. I just said if they want to stay in the lower weight classes they shouldn't lift heavy weights. True once in awhile isnt going to hurt much but they should lift like that all the time. If the more speed you have the more power would you rather get hit with a pillow going 60mph or a bowling ball going 10mph.

Comment

Working...
                      X