Jacobs was heavier than Ward vs Dawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs was heavier than Ward vs Dawson

Or at least as heavy as him.

Jacobs 8 am on saturday weighed 176 pounds according to his team. Maybe 178-180 on fight night?

Ward fighting at 168, weighed 176 against Dawson.

Golovkin fought against a super mw on saturday.

Will this sport ever do something about weight cheaters?

I think all organizations should adopt the next morning weigh in, like in the IBF.
    Once all of them are using it, it will be easier to move it into the afternoon or just before the fight. Cheaters will think twice before cutting 20 pounds to make weight. They would have to fight half drained, weakened, or fight on the division they belong.
    Last edited by _Maxi; 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM.

This is nothing special _Maxi. Great fighters have found ways to defeat bigger men throughout the history of boxing.

Comment

If you wanna be technical, golovkin didnt fight a 'super middle'

he fought a cruiser-weight.

obviously not a the cruiser-weight limit, but still.

Comment

Maybe they should adopt it, however, they don't have that implemented. How is it cheating if they make the contracted weight on the actual weigh-in that matters?

Comment

Jacobs made weight and that's all that matters, every fighter puts on weight after weigh ins. Golovkin was 170 in the ring, is he a light-heavyweight?

I seriously don't understand you guys, always tryna make it seem like it's Golovkin vs the world. Golovkin is a great fighter, being a few pounds lighter than Jacobs isn't that big of a deal, quit making it seem like he's some victim.

Comment

he made the weight stop crying.. never seen people so defensive over a win

golovkin isnt superman like you thought he was

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              Or at least as heavy as him.

Jacobs 8 am on saturday weighed 176 pounds according to his team. Maybe 178-180 on fight night?

Ward fighting at 168, weighed 176 against Dawson.

Golovkin fought against a super mw on saturday.

Will this sport ever do something about weight cheaters?

I think all organizations should adopt the next morning weigh in, like in the IBF.
              Once all of them are using it, it will be easier to move it into the afternoon or just before the fight. Cheaters will think twice before cutting 20 pounds to make weight. They would have to fight half drained, weakened, or fight on the division they belong.
              I agree and I've called for this for a long time. Either implement a rehydration clause or change the weigh in to the morning of the fight. Noway should a fighter have 24 or more hours to pile on more and more weight where you cant even label fights as middleweight or welterweight bouts because guys are weighin in 10-20lb above the limit.

Comment

At most Jacobs had probably 10 pounds on Golovkin, I think it was somewhere around 5-7 pounds difference between them.

Other fighters have overcome bigger fight night weight discrepancies to win. I'm sure when other fighters mentioned having rehydration clauses you would have been quick to claim they were trying to get an unfair advantage but now I bet you'd be all for it huh.

If you can make the weight at the weigh in then you compete in that weight class, who's to say how much weight a fighter should be allowed to cut or gain from rehydration?

Golovkin does not walk around at 160 and he certainly doesn't step into the ring on fight night at 160.

Comment

I don't think the weight disparity was all that much on fight night. GGG weighed in at 170 in the morning on fight night. That gave him a chance to rehydrate a little more. GGG looked about 175 and Jacobs looked to be about 180.

Comment

Seriously this is getting ridiculous, all the crying would make you think Golovkin lost on Saturday. We haven't had same day weigh ins for over 2 or 3 decades so why are people crying about 24+ hour rehydration times now??

Comment

Working...
                    X