Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua didn't pass the chin check

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is "the chin check"????? It's heavyweight boxing. Getting rocked is an occupational hazard.

Mike Tyson got rocked to his boots by Frank Bruno in their first fight, Ali got dropped like a sack of **** by Henry Cooper and was lucky not to be KOed.

I think that was the best thing to happen to Joshua in his career so far. He was far too overconfident after the first round with the smiling and sticking out his tongue.

Whyte taught him a very valuable lesson.

Comment

I re-watched it last night and i didn't find that Joshua was in as much danger as i thought while watching it live.

He ate a good shoot that buzzed him, and he also ate body shots that almost had him at a stand still. He recovered quickly though and went on to regain control and take over the fight as he had done in the first.

Credit to Whyte, he came to fight, wasn't scared of Joshua and showed a great chin.
      The fight turned out really good for Joshua i feel. He needed that to happen.
      It will help him in the long run.

Comment

He is certainly top heavy, i think they should stop the bodybuilding, geezer put on 25 pounds lean since his first pro fight. I'm a huge fan but come on now!

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
          People are overating the division a bit by saying a good fighter would have finished him off.

Sure a Tyson or Lewis would have put him away in that 2nd round for sure even a prime Haye maybe but I'm nit sure thweres that quality of finishers out there right now.

As far as the chin check goes, this is heavyweoght boxing you are going to get hurt when you get hit thats a given, you need to be able to survive and recover.

I mean did Holyfield fail the chin check against Bert Cooper or Ali against Henry Cooper ? (Dam those Coopers hit hard!)

Needs to learn alot more sure but silly to write him off when he showed alot of good traits in that fight.
          Good point, however, we now know he is human, and if you consider boxing, and the marketing of it, that hurts. If GGG had been wobbled by DL, ad punished to the body over the course of rounds, it would have affected his credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by RED REP View Post
            He is certainly top heavy, i think they should stop the bodybuilding, geezer put on 25 pounds lean since his first pro fight. I'm a huge fan but come on now!
            Normally I would say its impossible to gain that much muscle mass. Thats more weight than Barry Bonds gained.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
              I re-watched it last night and i didn't find that Joshua was in as much danger as i thought while watching it live.

He ate a good shoot that buzzed him, and he also ate body shots that almost had him at a stand still. He recovered quickly though and went on to regain control and take over the fight as he had done in the first.

Credit to Whyte, he came to fight, wasn't scared of Joshua and showed a great chin.
              The fight turned out really good for Joshua i feel. He needed that to happen.
              It will help him in the long run.
              Your right, and your wrong. He was in trouble, he was just wasn't in with an elite level finisher. I give the opponent his respect, but he is a C class fighter. Big Ortiz could have finished Joshua in that state, and i don't even consider him top 8

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                What exactly is "the chin check"????? It's heavyweight boxing. Getting rocked is an occupational hazard.

Mike Tyson got rocked to his boots by Frank Bruno in their first fight, Ali got dropped like a sack of **** by Henry Cooper and was lucky not to be KOed.

I think that was the best thing to happen to Joshua in his career so far. He was far too overconfident after the first round with the smiling and sticking out his tongue.

Whyte taught him a very valuable lesson.
                Lol Dirk, I have not been on this site in awhile, but you did cross my mind when I contributed this post. The chin check in theory is the way a fighter reacts the first time he is touched. Joshua failed, he does not have much athleticism in his legs to begin with, very stiff, and those legs went south when he was touched. I don't about know anyone else here, but I watch the legs when someone gets touched, and as one poster pointed out, Joshua froze, he stopped like he was being controlled by a remote.

Thats not good, to my eye test, he can be knocked out pretty easily.

Thats not how I felt going into Saturday night.
                Last edited by Ernie Mavers; 12-14-2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Mavers View Post
                  Lol Dirk, I have not been on this site in awhile, but you did cross my mind when I contributed this post. The chin check in theory is the way a fighter reacts the first time he is touched. Joshua failed, he does not have much athleticism in his legs to begin with, very stiff, and those legs went south when he was touched. I don't about know anyone else here, but I watch the legs when someone gets touched, and as one poster pointed out, Joshua froze, he stopped like he was being controlled by a remote.

Thats not good, to my eye test, he can be knocked out pretty easily.

Thats not how I felt going into Saturday night.
                  It's the Heavyweight division. Anyone can be knocked out.

If he'd "failed the chin check", then he would have been knocked out.

Comment

Working...
                  X