Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frank Warren: Lemieux is Saunder's mandatory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's going for the cash out, that fight never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Superbee View Post
      All he said was he couldn't wait to kick his sweet peach ass... No time line though ...

and WBO stated there was no mando as of right now... Just that they appreciated Lemieux's value and that he would be welcome for a title fight...
      Not true the WBO and even Warren have confirmed Lemieux has been named Mandatory

http://www.boxingscene.com/wbo-prez-...winner--117651

BoxingScene.com caught up with WBO President Paco Valcárcel to get an update on Saunders next mandatory opponent.

"We stripped the guy. We stripped (Khurtsidze) from the interim title," Valcárcel stated.

Valcárcel said that they will allow Saunders to take an interim fight and that after that fight the winner will have to fulfill their mandatory obligation.

According to Valcarcel, Olympic gold medal winner Ryota Murata (12-1, 9 KOs) is right now the likely next opponent for Saunders.

"Billy Joe Saunders is negotiating with Ryota Murata from Japan. Then next in line is (David) Lemieux as the the mandatory challenger but now that they have a show set up, they have requested a voluntary and we are considering that. The winner would have to fight Lemieux next," Valcárcel told BoxingScene.com.
      Last edited by bigdunny1; 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports-de-combat/201706/20/01-5109176-david-lemieux-ne-

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports...-titre-wbo.php

At a press conference in London yesterday, Saunders repeated to several journalists that his wish would be to face Lemieux. He wants to fight on September 16 in the semi-final of the mega fight between "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin. He would then like to face the winner of the final.

Saunders also reiterated that the Quebecker had become his compulsory aspirant since the one who held this title, the Georgian Avtandil Khurtsidze, was arrested in June with 32 other people suspected of being linked to the Russian mafia.

In an interview with La Presse, a vice-president of the WBO did not want to confirm that Lemieux was indeed a compulsory aspirant. "Right now, there's not really any. That said, David Lemieux is a very respected boxer by the WBO, "said John Duggan. "A fight between him [Lemieux] and Saunders for the title would be a pleasure for the organization and boxing fans. Lemieux certainly deserved to win this fight. "

This opportunity would be immense for Lemieux. He would first have the chance to get his hands on the title of world champion means held by Saunders. And he could then head for a duel against the winner of Golovkin-Alvarez.

But the Lemieux clan explains that we had to make a cross on this scenario. The injuries suffered by Lemieux in his victory against Marcos Reyes will take longer than expected to heal, says a member of the entourage.

"Yes, we had discussions with the developer of Saunders, Frank Warren, for a fight on September 16," said Lemieux promoter Camille Estephan. But it's too early. "

He admits that the wounds of his boxer are not yet cured, but assures "that it is nothing very serious".

"Plan A"

Lemieux, 28, is instead heading for a fight against Miguel Cotto (40-5) in November or December. "This is our plan A," says Estephan. Then, if he wins, Lemieux could fight for a belt, according to the promoter.

In a way, the injury suffered in May thus delays a championship fight for Lemieux, who briefly held the IBF title before losing it to Golovkin.

But this delay is not a catastrophe. At about the same time that Lemieux could fight Cotto, Saunders could face the winner of Golovkin-Alvarez. Lemieux would thus be a serious candidate for the winner of the most important fight in the means (160 pounds).

Comment

I have no clue what website that is or if the quotes are old but my link is from this website boxingscene which is very credible and their stories are updated constantly. But if you don't believe me or Warren who said lemieux has been named mandatory or WBO prez how about Sanders out his own mouth yesterday after the press conference. See video of him saying WBO named Lemieux his mandatory

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/saunders-has-a-new-mandatory-david-lemieux.589116/
          Last edited by bigdunny1; 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

BJS should beat Lemieux but he's such a ****ing on/off fighter. Sometimes he looks world class and other times he looks like he's even Euro level.

Weird fight and anything could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
              BJS should beat Lemieux but he's such a ****ing on/off fighter. Sometimes he looks world class and other times he looks like he's even Euro level.

Weird fight and anything could happen.
              Lemieux's biggest problem was making weight properly. It showed up in his fight with Rubio plus he went all out at the beginning and burned out. There was a problem between Lemieux and his first trainer Russ Amber. Russ indicated that Lemieux didn't buy into the training plan put out by him. He also said there were problems with Lemieux's dedication. So maybe he finally realized that sacrifices have to be made to be competitive with the top fighters.

Comment

Still waiting for Avtandil Khurtsidze. I hope he's innocent and meeting freedom. He deserves a title shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosta View Post
                  I actually think BJS wud beat GGG. not Canelo but I think GGG

GGG remembered that man at the press conference. He been up nights worrying about the man. I really think BJS can take the power and I think he's good enough to beat GGG.
                  I doubt it lol. Saunders in the past admitted GGG would beat him and Eubank Jr in the same night if i recall. Only reason he's calling them out is so he can cash out. Saunders has light feet BUT he doesn't have the attributes that Jacobs had which are the key to beating GGG. Saunders honestly has a better shot at Canelo. Canelo struggles with movers much more than GGG does.

Comment

Working...
                  X