No announcement yet.

weight training for strength NOT bulk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight training for strength NOT bulk

I've started added weightlifting to my training for strength, but have noticed that ive started to bulk up and tbh I dont like the feeling, I feeling a little stiffer and slower.

Any of you guys know how to build strength without the bulk, I've read a little but have no experience or know anyone that stays lean and weight trains, any ideas?

Cheers

well you can start by dropping the reps. do 5 reps at hight weight rather than say 10-15 at a lower weight. you can also eat less calories or do more cardio as you wont gain size on a diet. but tbh i never understood when people say this. before i started boxing i did a lot of weightlifting at the local gym and found it verry hard to put on muscle. wish i had your problem

Comment

Thats not gonna work all too well, you NEED size if you are to gain any substantial amount of strength. What you will also need are supportive exercises in addition to the big three of the strength.

Comment

Don't listen to the #2 poster.

Higher weights and less reps is what you do to build bulk muscle mass.

What you want to do is increase reps and lower the weight amount. This is done to define and develop lean muscle. And I'm talking about low weights around 5,10,15 pounds, with high reps 12-15 done rapidly.

Stretching is a key component to not becoming stiff, so I'd advise a proper stretching session before any workout, but especially any workout with weights.

Calisthenics is probably the route you want to go through for what you're trying to accomplish. You'll get strong and most of it will be lean muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
          Thats not gonna work all too well, you NEED size if you are to gain any substantial amount of strength.
          Bullcrap. There are 105 pound Chinese guys who can lift twice as much weight as big old bodybuilder types.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
            I've started added weightlifting to my training for strength, but have noticed that ive started to bulk up and tbh I dont like the feeling, I feeling a little stiffer and slower.

Any of you guys know how to build strength without the bulk, I've read a little but have no experience or know anyone that stays lean and weight trains, any ideas?

Cheers
            ask the plyometric experts. i guess explosiveness is equal to being strong in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post

What you want to do is increase reps and lower the weight amount. This is done to define and develop lean muscle. And I'm talking about low weights around 5,10,15 pounds, with high reps 12-15 done rapidly.

Stretching is a key component to not becoming stiff, so I'd advise a proper stretching session before any workout, but especially any workout with weights.

Calisthenics is probably the route you want to go through for what you're trying to accomplish. You'll get strong and most of it will be lean muscle.
              all this this right here is the right way to go ^^

Im not interested in bulking up either one thing I like to do is work with 8-10lb medicine balls high rep broad range of motion moves as well..really good total body strength and toning...

Be careful on here with people not knowing what the hell they talking about like poster #2
              Last edited by Crazylegs77; 09-30-2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post

That is crap. Flex your fingers, boys, we are starting another weighttraining holywar!

Comment

Try doing some yoga.

Comment

If you are not looking to bulk up, you just eat the caloric amount that is equal to what your body uses. The rep scheme does not matter much only that higher rep scheme are not nearly as good at stimulating central nervous system(and especially the testosterone production, which is the main growth factor in the body). Lower rep/higher weight schemes are almost always a better way to increase strength and mass, simply because they make our body adopt more. Thats about it to the whole of weight training.

Comment

Working...
                    X