No announcement yet.

Is the boxing historian dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the boxing historian dead?

Speaking broadly here. THe Bert Sugars, Larry Merchants, Gil Clancys and other old school boxing heads who had a level of intellect and gravitas that seems to be currently absent. I feel like we are now left with talentless slobs like Rafael who is just some WWE mark who has never done anything athletic in his life and the typical bro dude douchebag twitter user ala the MMA media crowd.

Is the boxing historian dead or does he live on?

Originally posted by Dr Shaw High View Post
    Speaking broadly here. THe Bert Sugars, Larry Merchants, Gil Clancys and other old school boxing heads who had a level of intellect and gravitas that seems to be currently absent. I feel like we are now left with talentless slobs like Rafael who is just some WWE mark who has never done anything athletic in his life and the typical bro dude douchebag twitter user ala the MMA media crowd.

Is the boxing historian dead or does he live on?
    Im pretty sure had the internet and various forms of fast info been around back in the day B.Sugar would NEVER had picked Spinks to beat Tyson . The boxing historian is not needed and no different from current guys that commentate who some have actually boxed like RJJ .

All you need is common sense and two eyes to form your own opinions ,MORE info is out there now than even they had .

I think Al Bernstein is still the best live commentator ,dont know why he doesn't get more t.v time one of the few logical and insightful ones .
    Last edited by juggernaut666; 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

We have our very own boxing historian juggernaut666 To wisely proclaim AJ as ' the GOAT'

Comment

I think Max Kellerman has taken over the role as boxing historian now. I would say Jim Lampley can be considered as a boxing historian too but i think Max took that mantle after Larry merchant retired.

Comment

bump;.........

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
            We have our very own boxing historian juggernaut666 To wisely proclaim AJ as ' the GOAT'

Comment

larry is the best we got. never biased. always sees things fairly and clearly. never gets emotional and starts to make death threats when someone criticizes a boxer.

Comment

Al Bernstein is one of the good jews. I like him.

Comment

I think the boxing historian dies or more importantly some of the stories of the boxing historian type pundit of the day dies a lil more when each guy who has those stories dies. Stories get their verbal history & the uniqueness of how a guy like Bert Sugar or whoever would tell the stories he told stolen a lil more with each death of these types of guys. Sure those stories are still in the ether but like a game of telephone with each generation a lil of those stories are lost. And sure many stories are written down in books or in some form of media nowadays, but its not the same. So yea I think with each generation these historian types are lost, but every "story" in every "genre" of thing has this happening since we all have limited life spans & there is so much uniqueness among us that you just don't have another Bert Sugar (or whoever) type guy again.

Comment

Originally posted by English Lion View Post
                    I think Max Kellerman has taken over the role as boxing historian now. I would say Jim Lampley can be considered as a boxing historian too but i think Max took that mantle after Larry merchant retired.
                    Oh yea he definitely is.

There were a couple podcasts that have come out within the last 6 months or so (believe one was with the Bill Simmons podcast) that left me more impressed with his knowledge. I kinda had an opinion Jim was the Ryan Seacrest of boxing commentary & barely had a soul lol. Aggressive opinion by me obviously & wrong, but just wasn't a fan of the guy. After hearing him on those podcasts in recent months I got a new appreciation & respect for the guy in general (his dad dying when he was young has had a profound impact on his life to this day it seems) & as a boxing guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X