No announcement yet.

The Boss Inducts Bob Dylan Into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame [1988]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
    Excellent film, not just because it covered Dylan's career, but the musical styles that shaped the message and sounds of his music, the atmosphere of the music scene before and during his time, whether it was jazz, folk etc

It was somewhat of a musical history documentary.

From the same film;

Do you believe this song is more than a century old!
    I knew that movie would get your imagination, man - Scorsese did an amazing job on that, doesn't intrude or project any of his own issues onto the subject.
    You dig that incendiary 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' from the performance footage?

Forgot to say above that 'Desire' catches an atmosphere that may be the most unique I've ever heard on record. Nothing else sounds quite like that album.

Comment

Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
      I knew that movie would get your imagination, man - Scorsese did an amazing job on that, doesn't intrude or project any of his own issues onto the subject.
      You dig that incendiary 'Ballad Of A Thin Man' from the performance footage?

Forgot to say above that 'Desire' catches an atmosphere that may be the most unique I've ever heard on record. Nothing else sounds quite like that album.
      I don't remember it, from the film, but the song is great. I do remember plenty of angry Poms hurling disparaging remarks at Dylan's supposed 'sell-out' of his 'art' concert performances - not sure I fully understood it though. Jeering songs such as 'Like a Rolling Stone"? Maybe they just dug his folk orientated work. Haven't heard Desire, I'm working in chronological order, listening to his studio albums. Won't get to it, for a while, as UNI is about to start again.

Comment

I don't remember it, from the film, but the song is great. I do remember plenty of angry Poms hurling disparaging remarks at Dylan's supposed 'sell-out' of his 'art' concert performances - not sure I fully understood it though. Jeering songs such as 'Like a Rolling Stone"? Maybe they just dug his folk orientated work.
        It's that whole folk purist angle so many mans were on back then. The Beatles, Stones, whoever, were all just dirty pop groups to them. Dylan never really intentionally did anything for those guys, they just claimed him - when he plugged in (because that's what he felt like doing), they freaked out and saw it as a commercial move,

The only UNI I have to tangle with now is some Neil Diamond sides,

Here's one with your name on it,

Comment

Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK
          It's that whole folk purist angle so many mans were on back then. The Beatles, Stones, whoever, were all just dirty pop groups to them. Dylan never really intentionally did anything for those guys, they just claimed him - when he plugged in (because that's what he felt like doing), they freaked out and saw it as a commercial move,

The only UNI I have to tangle with now is some Neil Diamond sides,

Here's one with your name on it,

[img][http://www.classic45s.com/images/neildiamond13.png[/img]
          It was fun watching them angry Poms trying to cut Dylan to pieces from those archive interviews.

Stones, great song man, don't know anything about Neil Diamond.

Comment

It was fun watching them angry Poms trying to cut Dylan to pieces from those archive interviews.

Stones, great song man, don't know anything about Neil Diamond.
            "Bob Dylan was a bastard in the second 'arf",

"Eey aye, it's joost not reet, am norravin' it...",

Comment

Dave Van Ronk's version of He Was A Friend of Mine was also mentioned in the film. Slightly more folk version than this, cannot be found on youtube;

EDIT;

Byrds version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYH...eature=related

Comment

Dave Van Ronk's version of He Was A Friend of Mine was also mentioned in the film. Slightly more folk version than this, cannot be found on youtube;

EDIT;

Byrds version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnYH...eature=related
                'Folksinger' album?

Comment

'Folksinger' album?
                  Sweet, I don't have any of his music in my collection.

Comment

Sweet, I don't have any of his music in my collection.
                    Speaking of the whole pure folk thing,

we'll get onto Gram's folky phase one of those days when there's some downtime kicking around.

It's not what he's celebrated for, but powerful stuff nonetheless.

So much Great music to talk about, never enough time,

Comment

Speaking of the whole pure folk thing,

we'll get onto Gram's folky phase one of those days when there's some downtime kicking around.

It's not what he's celebrated for, but powerful stuff nonetheless.

So much Great music to talk about, never enough time,
                      I know what you mean, man. We can get into Gram, too, I keep referring back to 'Brass Buttons' which has morphed into one of my favourite songs, period.

For anyone lurking;

Comment

Working...
                      X