No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn: "I wish I had Calzaghe's power"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    There are plenty of testimonials from fighters saying Calzaghe was heavy handed, far more than they imagined. The Calzaghe hand problems are not a myth either, look at Calzaghe's overal punching technique against Eubank and then immediately watch the Jones fight, you'll see a huge difference in how much a young Joe sat down on his punches, he still cuffed and threw combinations, but he sat down and threw with more power, towards the end of his career he was much more about touching his opponent and getting out.

Byron Mitchell and Charles Brewer have lots of experience, during those times they sparred or fought everyone, and Mitchell said he had never been hit so hard so often. In terms of this thread I think Benn was being sarcastic, it was a joke.

Calzaghe haters do need to get over it though, he was a great fighter.
    It's not Calzaghe haters that are the problem, it's Calzaghe fans that talk about him like he's a god because of the names he beat completely ignoring the fact that they were way past their best.

Comment

What does Benn say before power? "I wish i had that Joe Calzaghe ????? power."

Comment

Maybe he spar Joe and felt his power, a guy wouldnt just say that without having been in the ring with joe.

Comment

the only logical conclusion to that statement being made by Benn is it's an inside joke about how much of a slapper Calzaghe is.

Comment

Calzaghe was a beast, he would have eaten Ward for dinner, KO'd AA in 2 rounds, beaten Taylor from pillar to post, made Dirrell seizure out in the 4th round, and he already handed a prime undefeated Kessler his first loss.

The man was just unbeatable and he retired a such. To think, he whooped up on all these dudes while high on coke too....LMAO, he was just on another level.

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
              Chris Eubank disagrees with you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Nk_rf4aOM#t=31m17s

random people on a boxing forum think they know better
              Sums up this place perfectly!

I reckon Benn was just being a gent. I doubt he was envious of any fighters punching power, but Calzaghe certainly hit harder than he gets credit for. Granted, he never starched anyone but I can't remember too many guys rushing him. If he had no power, then surely somebody would have just walked through the slapstorm and took him out?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis40 View Post
                the only logical conclusion to that statement being made by Benn is it's an inside joke about how much of a slapper Calzaghe is.
                Just ask Lacy, Kessler, RJJ, and BHOP about Joe's power, they all cowered in fear from his strength.

Comment

Has it occurred to anyone that his comment might have been sarcastic? That he's saying all of Calzaghe's KO's were the result of some type of supernatural punching power, so great that we couldn't see it?

That's the impression that I get. I think he's saying it because so many of Calzaghe's KO stoppages were absurd.

Comment

if Benn hit as hard as Calzaghe, he probably would have lost to Iran Barkley. and a few others.

Comment

he must be punch drunk or being very very kind

Comment

Working...
                      X