No announcement yet.

Schaffers $50 mill Tournament

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    WBSS is working on a $50M budget. Well I should say they have a $50M prize pool.

But still f#cking with the smaller divisions is a lost cause with mainstream sports. There is lil money there & just as lil fan interest globally. Sure there are guys that catch fire I was a huge fan of Ricardo Lopez & Carbajal back in the day & some Asian countries & other places give these fighters more attention, but largely there is lil regard for the "lil guys" of boxing. That's why those divisions rarely even have a unification fight. No one cares who's the best lil champ.
    fair enough

Comment

HBO doesn't usually let there guys go off to have random fights. So assuming Usyk's contract with HBO didn't end with his last fight I don't expect we'll see Uysk even if Uysk wants in & the WBSS wants him in.

But overall I think just with the prize pool (seemingly $25M per division & the winner supposedly making $10M+ for 3 fights) it'd have to attract some elite caliber guys from both sides. I mean how many guys in any division has the chance to make $10M for winning their next 3 fights? Not many guys so most guys should be jumping at this opportunity. And the WBSS can't having a bunch of Isaac Ekpo caliber guys in the tournament & be paying them millions per fight.

I suspect the biggest problems with names won't be WBSS accepting low caliber guys or the best fighters not being involved it'll likely be TV networks & promoters cutting a guy lose to be able to fight 1 to 3 times in this tournament
      Another possible wrinkle will be what is WBSS going to demand from the participants? Will they want options going forward? Will they want full promotional rights like "The Contender" did? Or will fighters be able to participate and then go back to their promoters after the tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        Another possible wrinkle will be what is WBSS going to demand from the participants? Will they want options going forward? Will they want full promotional rights like "The Contender" did? Or will fighters be able to participate and then go back to their promoters after the tournament?
        At the initial presser they spoke on that & said they'll have the fighter compete in 1 to 3 fights to fulfill their role in the tournament & then go back to their promoter.

The problem is still how many promoters are going to sign off on a fighter they invested years into in some cases to potentially comeback to them with an L that you didn't get to see the upside you'd usually get to see from a big name L caliber fight.

It seemed a lil unclear to me if a promoter could co-promote with Ringstar/Sauerland or whoevers name is officially gonna be on this tournament with the promotional angle as that seems like it could help entice promoters into letting their fighters be involved although even then I'm not super confident with that angle cuz you are still slicing the pie into more pieces than the average promoter is likely to be cool with.

It'll be real interesting to see who does or doesn't jump into this. I suspect we'll see a solid number of Sauerland guys & Haymon guys, but outside of that I'm not super sure who's gonna want to or be allowed to compete in this series.

Comment

No decent prospect whos gunning for a world title is gonna join this ridiculous tournament, its too much risk and would ruin career plans

but if its mini boxers (guys under 120lbs) i see them defineitly joining since nobody cares anyway

Comment

Al Haymon disagrees with you.
            the millions who have watched the fights on network TV, including over 5 million in march, disagree with you.

Comment

they've publicly stated fighters will be able to participate and then go back to their promoters after the tournament.

Comment

HBO doesn't usually let there guys go off to have random fights. So assuming Usyk's contract with HBO didn't end with his last fight I don't expect we'll see Uysk even if Uysk wants in & the WBSS wants him in.

But overall I think just with the prize pool (seemingly $25M per division & the winner supposedly making $10M+ for 3 fights) it'd have to attract some elite caliber guys from both sides. I mean how many guys in any division has the chance to make $10M for winning their next 3 fights? Not many guys so most guys should be jumping at this opportunity. And the WBSS can't having a bunch of Isaac Ekpo caliber guys in the tournament & be paying them millions per fight.

I suspect the biggest problems with names won't be WBSS accepting low caliber guys or the best fighters not being involved it'll likely be TV networks & promoters cutting a guy lose to be able to fight 1 to 3 times in this tournament.
                I don't think it should be an issue as The tournament will be putting up all the money for purses, not sure how much it would really cost HBO to air a fight for USYK if he gets in. He hasn't looked all that impressive anyhow, maybe they won't even care if he goes off network for a fight or two.

168 would be dope if they can get Degale,Groves,Eubank,Ramirez, maybe Murray and Roasdo and filler, and a few other guys perhaps Kessler comes back and
                Gives it a shot. This may get Frochs juices flowing and make a comeback too who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                  I don't think it should be an issue as The tournament will be putting up all the money for purses, not sure how much it would really cost HBO to air a fight for USYK if he gets in. He hasn't looked all that impressive anyhow, maybe they won't even care if he goes off network for a fight or two.
                  Hopefully cuz a 200lb tournament without him in it is just a tournament to fight him anyway, but making the guy who's 2nd place in the division the richest guy in the division.

I don't recall HBO cutting a guy loose for a random fight very many times I just know that much so I'm not optimistic about Uysk being in this tournament unless his HBO contract is over.

With how subpar HBO has become it'd be smart for fighters to start getting a contract with a clause that allows them to jump ship easier or jump ship for a fight (or three for this tournament) if a better opportunity comes along.

168 would be dope if they can get Degale,Groves,Eubank,Ramirez, maybe Murray and Roasdo and filler, and a few other guys perhaps Kessler comes back and
                  Gives it a shot. This may get Frochs juices flowing and make a comeback too who knows.
                  I'd like to see Eubank in it, but I don't think he's really looking to compete at 168 + I think his team wants too much control of an event so it seems unlikely to me they'd submit to so many random things to enter an event like this. Or if he did enter he'd be asked for 1M more for his 2nd fight or he'd quit or something.

Comment

At the initial presser they spoke on that & said they'll have the fighter compete in 1 to 3 fights to fulfill their role in the tournament & then go back to their promoter.

The problem is still how many promoters are going to sign off on a fighter they invested years into in some cases to potentially comeback to them with an L that you didn't get to see the upside you'd usually get to see from a big name L caliber fight.

It seemed a lil unclear to me if a promoter could co-promote with Ringstar/Sauerland or whoevers name is officially gonna be on this tournament with the promotional angle as that seems like it could help entice promoters into letting their fighters be involved although even then I'm not super confident with that angle cuz you are still slicing the pie into more pieces than the average promoter is likely to be cool with.

It'll be real interesting to see who does or doesn't jump into this. I suspect we'll see a solid number of Sauerland guys & Haymon guys, but outside of that I'm not super sure who's gonna want to or be allowed to compete in this series.
                    Thanks. I hadnt seen that presser........

Comment

Working...
                    X