Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has taken on the riskier fights in their career; Manny or Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would very much have liked to vote for Floyd but he hasn't earned that

I voted for Manny and I don't think it's very close. Only partly because Floyd is a better fighter.

Marquez may have got a draw, arguably a win, arguably a loss (doesn't matter) and Morales may have beaten him like he stole something, but that was a very lofty goal.

He tried to clean **** up and beat 3 ATGs in two years. Anyone who thinks that is careful guiding right there needs a slap on the back of the head.

Mayweather was once like that too, but the picture won't be as emphatic simply because that type of competition was not available for him.

Both fighters timed their fights in the late stages of their career, very conveniently for their bank accounts and their image. But I guess that's what you could expect from two fighters who don't really belong at welterweight naturally. Hell, it's boxing. That's pretty much the natural thing. Very rarely do fighters take fights based solely on their legacy.
    Last edited by Capaedia; 01-26-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
      Manny Pacquiao

-Barrera
      -JMM (who a lot of people didn't want to fight)
      -Morales
      -Morales II (after losing in a war, he fought him again)
      -JMM II (after many people thought Marquez won, Pacuqiao took a risk and fought him again)
      -ODLH (considered a horrible cherry pick at the time since DLH had gotten titles at MW and Pacquiao only had 1 fight at LW)
      Miguel Cotto (even with the CW it was considered a big risk)
      Margarito(even after a lose Margarito had a huge size advantage)
      Bradley (Young prime undefeated boxer with good technical abilities)
      Marquez IV (the 3rd fight was a cherry pick but the 4th wasn't even with a size advantage facing a guy that had arguably beat him 2-3 times was a risk)

Pacquiao =10

Floyd Mayweather

-Hernandez (Floyd's age and first title fight)
      -Corrales
      -Castillo II (After arguably losing to Castillo he rematched him)
      -ODLH (moving up in weight, not that big of a risk)

Floyd = 4

that's pretty much it. Only Trout, Martinez or Canelo fights would be risks.
      Guerrero wouldn't. Maybe that speaks of Mayweather's skills and greatness or his great cherry picking skills + hype. Like trying to make a shot Cotto seem 2nd prime'd and undefeated, calling Ortiz the quitter a "Young hungry Lion"etc
      Like what you tried to do there; but you can't really count the same guy multiple times for 1 and not the other. but they are about equal, I would almost be tempted to lean Pac's way, but the catchweight thing bothers me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaestix1 View Post
        whats considered a risk for the hypejob from the philipines is considered a cherrypick or easy work for floyd. that should tell you everything you need to know.....floyd has to fight a middleweight for him to take a risk but sleepy-head can drag a 40 yr lw to ww, get raped by the 40 yr lw and it's still considered a risk. lmao
        this ^^^^^^^^^^ ahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
          Floyd has taken on the riskier fights
          Kev-, boxingfeind, Bravado, Burner ©, dan_cov, el***, iLovesoccermoms, jaestix1, k1llu, MrClutch85, mrcupide2, PeterinMI, Pudgemeister, rambov, The904star, TKO6, tlove104

:AOR: so funny that people actually think Floyd took more risk. Lmfao
          I actually never said anything about the risks Floyd took. I just said what I thought about some of pacman's fights. Every fight that was a considered a risk had some Type of advantage to offset the risk. Why cant u beat corto at 147? Whay cant u beat margarito at 154? Whay cant oscar rehydrate? It's hard for me to assess the risk of Floyd's fights because we have known he is a special talent for a long time now. The only fight in the past 10 years where Floyd has had a chance at not being the huge favorite was against pacman. And PAC was only a threat for maybe 2 years. By 2011 Floyd was the favorite and #1 p4p again.

Comment

• Originally posted by The904star View Post
            I actually never said anything about the risks Floyd took. I just said what I thought about some of pacman's fights. Every fight that was a considered a risk had some Type of advantage to offset the risk. Why cant u beat corto at 147? Whay cant u beat margarito at 154? Whay cant oscar rehydrate? It's hard for me to assess the risk of Floyd's fights because we have known he is a special talent for a long time now. The only fight in the past 10 years where Floyd has had a chance at not being the huge favorite was against pacman. And PAC was only a threat for maybe 2 years. By 2011 Floyd was the favorite and #1 p4p again.
            What do you mean? Oscar picked the weight and the opponent.

Comment

• Pacquiao by far. Just look at his last fight. He easily out pointed Bradley and could of reclaimed his victory that got stolen from him, but he instead chose Marquez who gave him hell before that Bradley fight. Even Marquez (who was saying he beat PAC 3 times) aknowledged that he was surprised that he was chosen over Bradley

Comment

• Originally posted by 2todabody View Post
                Like what you tried to do there; but you can't really count the same guy multiple times for 1 and not the other. but they are about equal, I would almost be tempted to lean Pac's way, but the catchweight thing bothers me.
                Pac catchweight fights when he honored the weight agreement bothered you but Floyd blatantly came in 2 lbs overweight over the weight agreement in a catchweight fight didn't even cross on your mind. LMAO
                Last edited by straightleft; 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by straightleft View Post
                  Pac catchweight fights when he honored the weight agreement bothered you but Floyd blatantly came in 2 lbs overweight over the weight agreement in a catchweight fight didn't even cross on your mind. LMAO
                  Yes Floyd F'd JMM, with the 2 pds, and yes PAC's 4 CW fights bother me more because BELTS changed hand on 2 of those fights! Its 1 thing to due catch weights, but belts should not be involved; thats why there are weight classes, and its not like the opponents have a choice when they are all Top Rank fighters, and JMM is not gonna turn down the pay day to let floyd screw him over the 2 pds.
                  and if you really wanna get into it how are you gonna ask for a catchweight when the 2 fighters are campaigning in the same weight class. (the cotto fight) and in the 3rd JMM fight a contracted weight of 144pds, and its for a welterweight title.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2todabody View Post
                    Yes Floyd F'd JMM, with the 2 pds, and yes PAC's 4 CW fights bother me more because BELTS changed hand on 2 of those fights! Its 1 thing to due catch weights, but belts should not be involved; thats why there are weight classes, and its not like the opponents have a choice when they are all Top Rank fighters, and JMM is not gonna turn down the pay day to let floyd screw him over the 2 pds.
                    and if you really wanna get into it how are you gonna ask for a catchweight when the 2 fighters are campaigning in the same weight class. (the cotto fight) and in the 3rd JMM fight a contracted weight of 144pds, and its for a welterweight title.
                    Very shaky on facts.

1. no belt changed hands with the Marg fight, it was vacant just like Mares Morel and Canelo Hatton
                    2. Pac wasn't campaigning in the same class as Cotto, so easy to check?!
                    3. JMM 3 at 144 is on JMM, he requested it. Just like Pac he contested for titles twice at CWs he requested.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      Very shaky on facts.

1. no belt changed hands with the Marg fight, it was vacant just like Mares Morel and Canelo Hatton
                      2. Pac wasn't campaigning in the same class as Cotto, so easy to check?!
                      3. JMM 3 at 144 is on JMM, he requested it. Just like Pac he contested for titles twice at CWs he requested.
                      no belts should change hands with catchweights involved period;
                      If it is a "WELTERWEIGHT" belt one the line, weight should be 147 period.
                      the Margarito fight, SUPERWELTERWEIGHT belt on the line , weight should be 154 period. as far as JMM requesting 144, if he did; do you think he did that because PAC had already fought the 2 previous fights in the 147 range?.
                      and if received the 147 belt for the Cotto fight, then he is a 147pd fighter, you can't have it both ways.
                      It would be the same thing for Mayweather, if he decided to take on 1 of the 154 big boys...no catchweight!! you accept the belt you fight at that weight!!
                      especially him, since he has said on more than 1 occasion "no catchweights"

Comment

Working...
                      X