Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran: Slightly overrated defensively?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberto Duran: Slightly overrated defensively?

Don't take this the wrong way. Duran is the greatest lightweight of all time bar none and is an excellent, legendary kind of fighter all around. But I've heard people describe him as "impossible" to hit. From what I've seen, this isn't really the case. Now he's coming forward and still doesn't get hit all that often, but you can drop a bomb on him if you set it up right. He's hard to hit in combination because he's not bothered by the punches so he sees the second and third ones coming. Still, I think that impossible to hit is a pretty big reach.

I would say he is more underrated defensively to be honest. Ask the average boxing fan that claims they are more than a casual fan they will tell you Roberto Duran had no defence at all, I've heard it time and time again.

Impossible to hit is definitely a stretch though.

Comment

Only ever seen one person say he was impossible to hit and yeah that's over rating him but I think his defense gets rated accordingly or more often then not it tends to actually get under rated by people that haven't seen much of his fights and think of him as just a brawler which he quite clearly wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I would say he is more underrated defensively to be honest. Ask the average boxing fan that claims they are more than a casual fan they will tell you Roberto Duran had no defence at all, I've heard it time and time again.

Impossible to hit is definitely a stretch though.
        Really? There are people who think he was easy to hit? He had points where he tried to show off his chin and be too macho, but I don't know how you could possibly get that impression.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          Really? There are people who think he was easy to hit? He had points where he tried to show off his chin and be too macho, but I don't know how you could possibly get that impression.
          Trust me, bro.

Put a poll up in NSB and I garantee you tons of people will say he was easy to hit lol

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            A lot of people will only take a shallow look at his style, see he's coming forward throwing punches and stereotype () him as the coming forward no nonsense LaMotta type, at times it could be difficult to see his slight head movement, he could be very economical with it when he wanted and casual fans might not notice.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Trust me, bro.

Put a poll up in NSB and I garantee you tons of people will say he was easy to hit lol
              I think I will do that, actually. My opinion of us fans is getting a little too high, time to go back to NSB hahaha.

Comment

Well if you specify lighweight nobody in NSB is going to know who he fought. Ken Buchanan was a good win but then watch him get his ass kicked by De Jesus. This is one of the reason why I think that he is over rated all around. Buchanan is a good win but at lightweight I think Duran was very beatable which is why I have my opinion in the last thread that very good offensive combination punchers will be able to put Duran out.

The majority of NSB will know Duran from his quitting vs Leonard and his destruction at the hands of Tommy Hearns.

Comment

to really appreciate his defensive skills watch his fight with Marvin Hagler as his in-fighting is brilliant.

Comment

Duran and Hagler are known to alot of guys as face first brawlers!

Duran was cute with his defence but to say he was unhittable is incorrect he got tagged plenty but his defence was first rate and his chin solid too

Comment

Working...
                    X