Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watched Quartey vs De La Hoya again last night.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds to me like street bully re-watches this fight dozens of time to reassure himself that Daddy Quartey won

it's been like 40 yrs, get over it man.

oscar > quartey

any way you slice it

Comment

Originally posted by rizkybizness View Post
      why do you say African American?

Quartey was straight up Ghanian or however you say it. He was from Ghana, end of.
      Minus Quartey, who may have also picked up citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by rizkybizness View Post
        sounds to me like street bully re-watches this fight dozens of time to reassure himself that Daddy Quartey won

it's been like 40 yrs, get over it man.

oscar > quartey

any way you slice it
        Quartey is a guy I feel for. he came back after four years out to dominate Forrest, and got robbed at gun point in that one.

Prime for prime Quartey was just as good as oscar ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
          Robbery, really Bully this is the word you choose to use? See, I like your posts but then you go and use these extreme's and you discredit yourself.

Could it have gone Quartey's way, yes no doubt but it was far from a robbery. Oscar rallied, had him out late in the fight and Quartey held on. It was a great fight and I believe Oscar's best performance in the ring of his career as far as competitive, exciting fights.
          You see if a fight looks like it has a clear winner to me, when you go by round by round, a win by more then two points then you can consider it a robbery.

Score the fight by rounds. There is no way Oscar won any round from 5-11, no way at all. the first five rounds were split and Oscar won the 12th 10-8. Scoring round by round Quartey won the fight.

Comment

If you're giving more than 1 of the first 4 rounds of the fight to Quartey, you're not scoring right.

There were few clean shots, but Hoya's ring generalship and defense successfully thwarted Quartey's offense. Had him throwing 40 punches per when he averaged 70+.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I had Quartey winning by two points. Yeah, it was a head scratcher but hard to complain after that 12th round from oscar.
              I agree. Aside from Oscar's big 12th he was losing too many rounds to get a decision.. even his main cheerleader Lampley said "Oscar Delahoya is in trouble" after about 10 rounds. And the scorecards revealed the only way Quartey could have won was by KO. So Oscar didn't even need the big close. But the 12th made it easy to forget everything that happened before. I wouldn't call it a robbery though.
              Last edited by Calilloyd; 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jayblack View Post
                This was a great fight. I haven't watched it in awhile. I taped it back when it came on, and I haven't transferred it from VHS to DVD yet. But anyway, like yourself I had watched this fight many times, and I had Ike winning by one point every time I scored it. I even watched this fight with the volume off, so I wouldn't be influenced by the commentators. Even though I thought Ike won, I wouldn't necessarily call this a robbery. This was a simple case of "to be the champ, you have to beat the champ". Meaning you have to thoroughly beat the champ to take his title. And Oscar was the man to beat at WW at the time. Not to mention he was marketable.
                This is the most obnoxious phrase I've heard in boxing. This phrase literally is only supposed to mean that you have to beat the champ to take his title, IE if there is a draw, the champion retains his title. Any other interpretation of this phrase literally means giving the champion rounds he has lost, which is ******ed and would hurt the sport if all judges subscribed to it.

Quartey certainly won enough rounds to win this fight. Oscar sat there eating jabs for far too many rounds to win this fight on points.

Some people ***** about other De La Hoya decisions, such as Whitaker, which really could have gone either way, but this one was actually pretty clear in my opinion.

Comment

I still think Quartey won and I watched that fight at least 3 times

but Oscar was the "Golden Boy" and the "Gold Medal Winner" so he had a few gift wrapped decisions that is why I was extremely happy when Tito got the win against him, nothing against Oscar personally but Bob Arum most have been Paying off the Judges very well back then

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                    You see if a fight looks like it has a clear winner to me, when you go by round by round, a win by more then two points then you can consider it a robbery.

Score the fight by rounds. There is no way Oscar won any round from 5-11, no way at all. the first five rounds were split and Oscar won the 12th 10-8. Scoring round by round Quartey won the fight.
                    So let me ask you this question, do you consider DLH vs Trinidad a robbery?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                      So let me ask you this question, do you consider DLH vs Trinidad a robbery?
                      Yes. Oscar was robbed clearly if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                      X