Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Wladimir Klitschko a top ten ATG heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If his career was to end now, I would say yes.
    Hard to argue against it.

Comment

• Originally posted by i love boxing View Post
      ali
      lennox lewis
      joe louis
      jack johnson
      george foreman
      evander holyfield
      Joe Frazier
      Larry Holmes
      Marciano
      Tyson???

He is close but it is just an opinion
      How could anyone argue that Tyson, Marciano or Johnson had greater careers than klitschko? Just doesn't make any sense at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        He beat Peter, Haye, Povetkin, Chagaev at their peak. Chris Byrd.
        What other HW fought that many undefeated opponents?
        He also has very good wins over Brewster, Pulev, Thompson, Ibragimov, Mercer.

41 and still putting in that performance last night vs the elite of this era, his third era! that's greatness.

Everything about him is underrated from his chin to his resume and his heart especially.
        Nothing but a class act all round.

Tysons resume, accomplishments and resume doesn't come close. Frazier just a stylistic nightmare for Ali, painfully limited in every sense with a paper thin resume but nobody seems quick to mention that? Overrated too high heaven because of the Ali fights.

Mormeck was a terrible opponent so was Pianeta among others but - they aren't a top 10 win for wlad they would be for a fair few others apparently ranked above Wlad. Look at their title reigns - littered with fighters much worse than a Mormeck.
        Frazier beat every top contender in his reign + took Ali's 0 and had some of the greatest fights ever.

He doesn't have a paper thin resume.

Also, not sure many title defenses were worse than Mormeck. A fat cruiserweight who hadn't been in the ring for years.

Comment

• 11-20 range

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            How could anyone argue that Tyson, Marciano or Johnson had greater careers than klitschko? Just doesn't make any sense at all.
            they all had hall of famers on their resume..Klitchko had 0!!!

Comment

Leon Spinks, John Ruiz, Trevor Berbick, Michael Moorer, Hasim Rahman, and Oliver Mc'Call just to name a few all had hall of famers on their resume too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim Jong-Un View Post
                It's a hard one to say, I think you could sneak him into the top 10, this wasn't a prime version that fought at the weekend, nor was it a prime version who fought Fury, you look at how the punch count has dwindled through the years you even somewhat see it in his fight with Bryant Jennings.

The inevitable has happened for Wladimir, just like it happened for B-hop, this is not to say he isn't still a great fighter just like B-hop maintained to be well into his late 40's Wladimir could do the same, but at heavyweight division it's a whole different ball game, it's much harder to remain in the game as long like B-hop has done where he has feasted on plenty of feather duster type of bum fighters.
                It's a weird one really, AJ was legit more hurt in that fight than Wladimir Klitschko was and it was honestly AJ that came closer to being legitly stopped whereas Wladimir got the ole 1-2-3 British stoppage for you, to do that in your 40's what other fighters could have done that?
                Vitali Klitschko? (Very possible with his awkward style so long as he had a good punch output)
                George Foreman? (I definitely think big George would massacre a fighter like AJ)
                The point is there is not many that I can think of!
                1. Rocky Marciano
                2. Muhammad Ali
                3. Vitali Klitschko
                4. Larry Holmes
                5. Sonny Liston
                6. Lennox Lewis
                7. Gene Tunney
                8. Jack Dempsey
                9. George Foreman
                10. Wladimir Klitschko

That's my ten, I'm happy enough with that, I also think It's time for Wladimir to call it quits no point hanging it out for as long as someone like B-hop did you only will damage your resume.

Your post is some good points scattered with insanity. First off, Wladimir was very badly hurt during the 11th. He took a uppercut and was realistically finished after that. He only stayed on his feet to stagger around and absorb more punishment. That stoppage was perfect. It's as if you want Hayden to spoon feed Wlad in 5 years or something......... Wladimir would have gotten brutally knocked out cold or died if the fight continued.

Second off, in what ****ing universe is Vitali Klitschko a top 3 Heavyweight..........

This is the first list I see that have Vitali as a top 3. His best win was against Corrie Sanders,,,,,,,,,,,,His two best opponents beat him. Amazingly he have excuses for each loss.......

Comment

• Wladimir Klitschko is top 10 but it's not unrealistic to argue him out of it.

I don't think anyone can argue the below fighters is ranked above him
                  Ali
                  Louis
                  Holyfield
                  Lewis
                  Foreman

That's five already, pushing him to six at best. But there's also another handful of fighters that could be considered his equals or better. Holmes,Tyson,Frazier, Marciano, etc etc

Really, heavyweights top 50 doesn't look that impressive compare to lower weights, but there's around 10 Heavyweights that stands out significantly. I don't know if Wlad can break that list. I still voted yes though.

My list
                  Ali
                  Louis

than the next group in whatever order
                  Holyfield/Lewis/Holmes/Frazier/Tyson/Foreman/Marciano

I'll have Wladimir finish out the top 10.

Comment

• people with mike tyson in their top 10 list but not wlad...

probably the same guys who rant about "the casual fans"

Comment

None of them have any prime HOFamers on their resume.
                      Closest is Marciano vs Walcott, but even he was getting on heavily. Or Tyson vs Spinks.

Neither of those two fights can overthrow what Wladimir did for 10 years, even if it was a very weak division.

Comment

Working...
                      X