Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Williams vs Sergio Martinez 1 Appreciation thread: Did Maravilla deserve to win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Williams was the name guy at that time and Sergio took the fight on two weeks' notice and STILL worked him over. I thought Sergio deserved to win, a draw worst, worst case but hype pays the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
      10-9 Martinez
      10-9
      10-9
      9-10
      9-10
      9-10
      10-9
      9-10
      9-10
      10-9
      10-9
      9-10

114-114 D...
      I could have handled a draw but they robbed Sergio imo. I never even considered that fight to be a loss just like I still don't consider the Bradley draw to Chaves legit....albeit it was on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        I could have handled a draw but they robbed Sergio imo. I never even considered that fight to be a loss just like I still don't consider the Bradley draw to Chaves legit....albeit it was on paper.
        In totality, Martinez landed the harder shots and bloodied him. Did way more damage. But on a round by round basis, Williams was just outworking him in many cases and Sergio wasn't doing anything significant. I think Williams pressure and volume started to wear him down in the mid to late rounds. Sergio is one of the best conditioned fighters in history and this is the only fight where you really saw him gassed in the later rounds.

Comment

Yes Martinez won that fight

Comment

Working...
          X