Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much has home advantage helped AJ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It kinda says something when they made a big deal and named the PPV, " out of the lions den" just because he was fighting in manchester instead of London.

If he fought Wilder in the states now, he'd come in for frosty/hostile reception because people want their hometown / nation fighter to prevail.

it isnt like he would have a series of hardcores cheering him on in any fight for his immense headwork, movement etc etc.

he hasnt received favourable judge decisions IMO, maybe other than the olympics but he'll have a bloody hard litmus test against Wlad.

Comment

Don't think he had needed it so far, he might need it in the Wlad fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottWeiland View Post
        Whilst we on the AJ subject found this pic of him in camp last year.

Before VADA testing of course.
        Skipped head day.

Comment

I've never been one to make much of homefield advantage in combat sports. In fact quite often, outside of judges if you end up needing them, it tends to create nervous energy & family & friends f#cking with you for tickets & bugging you & other bs the week of the fight.

Comment

What arenas has he fought in with the exception of the UK's to give him this wealth of experience that helps him. He's fought exclusively in London for the most part right ? Prettt hostile ground right. If he ever has to go to AUS, NZ or the States if his promoter loses a purse he's gonna find out fast he should have fought on the road for exposure and experience, take Bute in Nottingham as an example.
            Not even related to the thread! i guess this is too difficult and many ppl went on a rant on other things too ,(not how much its helped JOSHUA fighting at home) which is the thread! you keep talking about where he hasnt fought ? This site sometime...man...wow...lol
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 02-12-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
              Not even related to the thread! i guess this is too difficult and many ppl went ona rant on other things too ,not how much its helped JOSHUA fighting at home which is the thresad! This site sometime...man...wow...lol
              I'm directly quoting you asking how is it helping him gain this wealth of experience you talk of from fighting in different arenas, it's not like he's fighting in different countries like Fury's, Klitschko and Wilder have is it, that's experience.

Comment

I'm directly quoting you asking how is it helping him gain this wealth of experience you talk of from fighting in different arenas, it's not like he's fighting in different countries like Fury's, Klitschko and Wilder have is it, that's experience.
                You didnt quote anything i already posted saying its a big advantage fighting at home bc hes still young in his career...that is the common sense answer. you went on a rant on where he hasnt fought yet and fighting anywhere else would not be an advantage at this point in his career.Why would it?

Comment

In most cases - it definitely is an advantage.

I'm sure as his career progresses he will fight in the US, at which point we will find out how well he handles travelling.

I think the biggest things I have seen with UK fighters fighting overseas is first of all the competition in general is that bit higher (not in all cases) so the fights and styles become more diverse and generally harder.

The second thing is that the crowds tend to be a bit more flat, in terms of atmosphere and noise, and I think I have definitely seen this have an effect on performance.

Lastly the actual travelling, jet lag, lack of home comforts, unusual surroundings, change in altitude, can all effect performance and some fighters have better personalities to deal with these things than others.

As Joshua progresses in his career, we will find out if he can tick the boxes so to speak and mark his greatness. But I wouldn't criticise him if he didn't travel to be honest, for the first time since probably the Eubank, Benn era, you have a fighter in Joshua who is the cash cow, all roads seem to lead to him in the heavyweight division. He might create a situation like Mayweather had at the MGM, which is you might actually have to go to his house to beat him, which makes it doubly difficult.

They (Joshua + Matchroom) have a winning formula right now, in terms of brand, ppv, revenue, it will take a hell of a lot of money to get Joshua to give all that up and come to Vegas or New York in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
                    I never said anything about judge's decision other than his gold medal win. My point was fighting in your home country can be helpful in terms of crowd support, not having to deal with travel concerns in the lead up to the fight, having people chant your name can be a very empowering experience...obviously. You're just looking for something to complain about rather than take part in the conversation as it was.
                    You must be American. Or Northern.
                    Last edited by E10Rifle; 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

If he was getting decision wins he didn't deserve it would be helping him. That is not the case, He knocked out everybody he fought in 7 rounds or less. Clearly he has not needed any hometown advantage to date. He has easily won all his fights by KO by virtue of his two fast, accurate and powerful fists. He has needed no outside help from anyone in England.

Comment

Working...
                      X