No announcement yet.

Who remembers Tony the Tiger Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remembers Tony the Tiger Lopez

If I'm not mistaken this kid won a medal in the Olympics for the US in either Soeul or Barcelona (88 or 92).
    Am I the only guy that remembers him?
    I also really liked Miguel Angel Gonzalez... where are these guys now?

Here is a great interview with Lopez. Tony was one of the best boxing interviews ever.

http://ringsidereport.com/?p=16029
    Last edited by Scott9945; 12-19-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Good fighter nice wins over lockridge and gamache

Comment

A very exciting fighter out of Sacramento. His battles with John John Molina were classic. If you ever are looking for a good fight to watch, check out his war with Greg Haugan.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by oztheuzi View Post
            If I'm not mistaken this kid won a medal in the Olympics for the US in either Soeul or Barcelona (88 or 92).
            Am I the only guy that remembers him?
            I also really liked Miguel Angel Gonzalez... where are these guys now?
            Lopez won a professional title in '88, and was never a part of any American Olympic boxing team.

Comment

Got the fights he had beating Rocky Lockridge and getting crushed by J.C. Chavez.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                Lopez won a professional title in '88, and was never a part of any American Olympic boxing team.
                I appreciate the clarification. Not sure why I thought he was an olympian....

Comment

Yeah, was a very fun fighter. Got a few interesting decisions in his hometown as a local star. His first fights with Molina and also Thobela (who himself had one of the surprisingly great achievements of becoming a lightweight champion, then moving up to become a champion at 168 pounds!) should have gone the other way.

Whatever else though, his fights were usually very fun and he always came to fight, though he had that strange thing of always having hard fights when some of them should have been easy. Always fought down to his opponent.

Comment

Working...
                  X