No announcement yet.

Canelo effect: DAZN #1 free downloaded app on iOS and Android this past weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
    Very good! Hopefully DAZN gets rights to major sports so that boxing gets even more popular by association.
    I can't see that happening. The 2 known sport enti ties on America are ESPN and Fox Sports. CBS Sports and NBC Sports and Turner Sports round out the top 5. It's goin to be years for them to compete.

I mean DAZN lucked up and got Canelo with HBO goin away. The only way they get any other sport is if those networks I named disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      Let's put Joshua on primetime in the states though to truly see his name value. His replays on those said fights would still do in the mid 400ks which is more than some live SHO cards. I'd bet if Joshua fought on primetime on SHO, he would get close to the million mark, or at least in the 800k range.
      Yeah it will definitely increase once he starts fighting in the US and branding himself in the US. But even 800K viewer's would be less viewer's then the ones who paid PPV to see canelo. Over 1M ppv buys in each of his last 3 fights. And that's not even counting the amount showing up to movie theaters bars and clubs to see his fights or the fact that most buy a 75 bucks PPV and split the costs by having House parties where everyone chips in. The true amount of people watching his fights is way beyond 1M. Canelo is just far and beyond a bigger star and money generator. Joshua has a long way to go to reach that level.

Comment

Canelo is boxing #1 star.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
          I can't see that happening. The 2 known sport enti ties on America are ESPN and Fox Sports. CBS Sports and NBC Sports and Turner Sports round out the top 5. It's goin to be years for them to compete.

I mean DAZN lucked up and got Canelo with HBO goin away. The only way they get any other sport is if those networks I named disappear.
          If it happens in 2021 or whenever, I'm sure it'd be more OTT (as it is in Canada), whereby the major sports enti ties maintain their current broadcasts, and all DAZN would get is non-exclusive rights to air NFL Sunday Ticket, Red Zone and NFL Network.
          Last edited by rolshans; 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
            If it happens in 2021 or whenever, I'm sure it'd be more OTT (as it is in Canada), whereby the major sports enti ties maintain their current broadcasts, and all DAZN would get is non-exclusive rights to air NFL Sunday Ticket, Red Zone and NFL Network.
            Still DAZN is just app bound. They can't compete with other sports in network and basic cable. Plus all of those channels have apps them selves.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              2021 is when the rights open up for NFL and NBA. Until then they will rely heavily on boxing to increase their subscriber base and get their name out. I guess also the MLB rights they got, though that is probably just for the hardcore baseball fans.
              Yeah DAZN has deep pockets that's not the issue the problem is they can't even bid on a lot of these US Tv rights because the exisiting contracts don't expire for years. They just made a big play and landed MLB version of Red zone so starting in 2019 every day they have access to MLB games. There are talks that they will also scoop up the NFL sunday ticket package from DIRECT TV in 2019. Maybe they can land the NFL Redzone as well. They already have full rights to NBA, NFL and other US sports in Canada and other countries but in the US the channels that own the rights have contracts preventing DAZN from outbidding for these sports.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                Yeah it will definitely increase once he starts fighting in the US and branding himself in the US. But even 800K viewer's would be less viewer's then the ones who paid PPV to see canelo. Over 1M ppv buys in each of his last 3 fights. And that's not even counting the amount showing up to movie theaters bars and clubs to see his fights or the fact that most buy a 75 bucks PPV and split the costs by having House parties where everyone chips in. The true amount of people watching his fights is way beyond 1M. Canelo is just far and beyond a bigger star and money generator. Joshua has a long way to go to reach that level.
                But I'm not arguing Joshua is bigger in American than Canelo. That would be foolish for one to say. All I'm saying is we won't know his true value until he starts fighting in American on primetime. All we have right now to go off of is his UK fights that take place in the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                  Still DAZN is just app bound. They can't compete with other sports in network and basic cable. Plus all of those channels have apps them selves.
                  And the leagues have their own apps.

Comment

Man Canelos drawing power is no joke

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      Yeah DAZN has deep pockets that's not the issue the problem is they can't even bid on a lot of these US Tv rights because the exisiting contracts don't expire for years. They just made a big play and landed MLB version of Red zone so starting in 2019 every day they have access to MLB games. There are talks that they will also scoop up the NFL sunday ticket package from DIRECT TV in 2019. Maybe they can land the NFL Redzone as well. They already have full rights to NBA, NFL and other US sports in Canada and other countries but in the US the channels that own the rights have contracts preventing DAZN from outbidding for these sports.
                      Right but I started specifically the rights for most of the major sports league don’t open up until 2021.

As far as I know, the Sunday Ticket and DirecTV deal is still valid until 2021 or 2022. Not sure where you are getting 2019 from?

Well aware of the MLB deal. Though NFL Redzone is 1000x more popular. Not sure how many aside from the hardcores will be subscribing to DAZN for this. Because most baseball fans just watch their favorite team and are not interested in the entire league as fans are with the NFL. I guess a lot of that has to do with the power of fantasy football.

Comment

Working...
                      X