Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daniel Cormier MMA: I'd Beat Joshua, Fury & Wilder In A Full Fight But Not Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oscar9992 View Post
    Boxers are not made to fight in MMA... Boxing is more of an ART... But it also helps to defend against bunch of guys jumping on you. But wrestlers always dominate MMA with a few exceptions like Chuck Liddell.
    Not true because Cormier won his recent title by boxing. No wrestling or kicking was involved. It was just two guys going toe-to-toe throwing nothing but hay makers.

But when he fought Jon Jones, Jones picked him up and threw him to the ground. And Jones has little wrestling background, right?

I think Wilder and Josh could beat Cormier in a MMA match. The just need to stay away and throw punches. Just like Comier did to win his title. Think about it. Wasn't Moicic supposed to be the best "boxer" in the division, and Comier beat him by boxing.

Admittedly, if Cormier gets Wilder and Josh to the ground, he probably wins, but if Wilder and Josh catch him on the chin, they win. Like I said, Cormier won his title by boxing. Not kicking or wrestling. Just a right to the chin. I think Wilder would land first and end the fight.

What I don't get is how people readily dismiss Wilder's and Josh's chances of winning in MMA when they don't how much they know know. How do you know what they know.

They may have practiced martial arts along with boxing. But in any event, when it would come to a street fight, I'd take Josh over Comier after I saw the way Jones manhandled Comier -- the so-called wrestler. Like I said, he picked him up and threw him to the ground.

For instance, how much martial arts does Brock Lesner know? Didn't he start late. Again, in their prime, who would you take in a street fight, George Foreman or Brock? I'd take George cause you wouldn't want to try and grab him with his power.

Same with Conor Mcgregor. He started boxing when he was 14, but didn't take up MMA until, what, he was 20. And take away a few flashy kicks, Conor won his fights by landing punches, not kicks or wrestling. Look at the Nate Dias fight, Conor just punched right threw him. No wrestling.

Finally, the rise and fall of Rhoda shows you all you need to know. If she got you on the ground, put you in a arm bar, and would have to submit. But when she had to throw from the shoulders and couldn't get inside, she got KO'd. She took numerous punches to the face, so what good does a arm bar do?

The arts are the arts, not matter what discipline in falls under. They all train to "fight."

But I'll tell you something, if a Sumo wrestler gets his hands on you, it just about over.
    Last edited by marvin douglas; 11-03-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar9992 View Post
      Boxers are not made to fight in MMA... Boxing is more of an ART... But it also helps to defend against bunch of guys jumping on you. But wrestlers always dominate MMA with a few exceptions like Chuck Liddell.
      Chuck Liddell had very good wrestling...it's what allowed him to keep the fight where he wanted it. His take down defense and his ability to get back to his feet was where it showed.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin douglas View Post
        But when he fought Jon Jones, Jones picked him up and threw him to the ground. And Jones has little wrestling background, right?.
        terrible example, Jones has wrestled since highschool lol

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
          Chuck Liddell had very good wrestling...it's what allowed him to keep the fight where he wanted it. His take down defense and his ability to get back to his feet was where it showed.
          But how do people know how much arts boxers know. Is it impossible for a "boxer" to learn the arts? Remember when Brazilian jiu jitsu dominated MMA, but guys learned to punch from the shoulders and negated the wrestlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Zn1 View Post
            terrible example, Jones has wrestled since highschool lol

That's my point. Cormier was "the" wrestler, but Jones relied on his high school training to beat Cormier at his own game.

Jones was a wrestler in high school, but switched to judo and then went to Martial arts. He also played football. Jones was well-rounded and did it all.

Cormier stayed with wrestling and was known only as a wrestler before he switched to MMA.

What I'm saying is that how do you know if Wilder had a wrestling background or judo background. Jones beat Cormier at wrestling with just a high school experience and Wilder may have just as much practice and experience.

Comment

Who is this fat midget Cormier and why is he calling out boxing champions?

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
                Who is this fat midget Cormier and why is he calling out boxing champions?
                Who would you take in a street fight, Josh or fat boy?

And that's another thing. Why are heavy weight MMA fighters so heavy. At least boxing champs are in shape.

Comment

I always shake my head when people make statements like this because it's like saying, "I'll beat you at a sport you never trained in".
                  Of course he'd beat guys who don't grapple. That's something that takes years to learn. Stupid to even bring it up.

Comment

That's my point. Cormier was "the" wrestler, but Jones relied on his high school training to beat Cormier at his own game.

Jones was a wrestler in high school, but switched to judo and then went to Martial arts. He also played football. Jones was well-rounded and did it all.

Cormier stayed with wrestling and was known only as a wrestler before he switched to MMA.

What I'm saying is that how do you know if Wilder had a wrestling background or judo background. Jones beat Cormier at wrestling with just a high school experience and Wilder may have just as much practice and experience.
                    It's not "just a little high school experience", it's something he continued to develop in his MMA career. You think he stopped grappling when he went to judo and mma?

Another problem Cormeir faced in those fights was his wrestling was mitigated due to Jones' striking ability. He couldn't just shoot like he might in an average guy, he had to constantly be weary of knees, elbows, getting pulled into a clinch. It wasn't just being out wrestled.

Comment

Not true because Cormier won his recent title by boxing. No wrestling or kicking was involved. It was just two guys going toe-to-toe throwing nothing but hay makers.

But when he fought Jon Jones, Jones picked him up and threw him to the ground. And Jones has little wrestling background, right?

I think Wilder and Josh could beat Cormier in a MMA match. The just need to stay away and throw punches. Just like Comier did to win his title. Think about it. Wasn't Moicic supposed to be the best "boxer" in the division, and Comier beat him by boxing.

Admittedly, if Cormier gets Wilder and Josh to the ground, he probably wins, but if Wilder and Josh catch him on the chin, they win. Like I said, Cormier won his title by boxing. Not kicking or wrestling. Just a right to the chin. I think Wilder would land first and end the fight.

What I don't get is how people readily dismiss Wilder's and Josh's chances of winning in MMA when they don't how much they know know. How do you know what they know.

They may have practiced martial arts along with boxing. But in any event, when it would come to a street fight, I'd take Josh over Comier after I saw the way Jones manhandled Comier -- the so-called wrestler. Like I said, he picked him up and threw him to the ground.

For instance, how much martial arts does Brock Lesner know? Didn't he start late. Again, in their prime, who would you take in a street fight, George Foreman or Brock? I'd take George cause you wouldn't want to try and grab him with his power.

Same with Conor Mcgregor. He started boxing when he was 14, but didn't take up MMA until, what, he was 20. And take away a few flashy kicks, Conor won his fights by landing punches, not kicks or wrestling. Look at the Nate Dias fight, Conor just punched right threw him. No wrestling.

Finally, the rise and fall of Rhoda shows you all you need to know. If she got you on the ground, put you in a arm bar, and would have to submit. But when she had to throw from the shoulders and couldn't get inside, she got KO'd. She took numerous punches to the face, so what good does a arm bar do?

The arts are the arts, not matter what discipline in falls under. They all train to "fight."

But I'll tell you something, if a Sumo wrestler gets his hands on you, it just about over.
                      I friggin' love Sumo.

In boxing a KO a minute into the fight is a pretty fast KO. In Sumo that's a fairly long match.

This is a great post!

Most of what people question and argue over in regards to MMA or even kickboxing vs boxing is a bunch of conjecture and assumption and honestly yours isn't all that different I'm just impressed with how accurate your questions are without, I assume, much if any historical background.

There used to be a form of boxing called Rough and Tumble it competed with LPRR for a short time but was absorbed into London Prize Ring Rules. R&T mostly competed with Broughton's Rules which were informal and could be changed but were the basis of most articles of agreement. R&T had no basis and without most fights were held without any rules. This form of boxing was even more brutal than the Roman Pyx. The Romans had their weaponized spiked gloves which are pretty brutal but to castrate an opponent even in Roman times would have been quite a display. It was common place for R&T.

Most of your "misconceptions about bare knuckle fighters" are not at all misconceptions about bare knuckle fighters so much as misconceptions about LPRR and Broughton's Rules. R&T is responsible for the seedy underground scene found in Hollywood and what not. Almost Fight Club except everyone knew about it.

So what happened to Rough and Tumble and why does MMA even exist or rather take until the 90s to kick off again? The best of Rough and Tumble were more boxer than anything else and able to take their skill sets into LPRR. What I just said is literally the men who punch and move rather than kick, tackle, throw, etc beat up the men who kick, tackle, throw, etc to the point where they only had other men who punched and moved at their level of competition. Once the top of R&T spent a few decades being boxers they went into the bigger and more accepted league boxing had to offer.

On top of that both boxing and wrestling are from ancient Greece. There are two Downing Champions, champions of Boxing, Pankration, and Wrestling. Theagenese of Thasos is one. He is one of the most famous boxers of the Ancients and in no way a wrestler or pankrationist who went into boxing. Klieto is right there with Theo. He was a boxer who won the pankration and wrestling. A wrestler has never won the boxing tournament at any pan hellenic game. And beyond that when Demokrates was champion in 25 AD he was more famous than the emperor of Rome. Boxing had already traveled down the silk road and smack up traditional martial arts. Fun fact Klieto is the guy we get the abstinence superstition from. Both went unbeaten, Klieto went un pointed against, but Klieto did not become a Downing Olympian, he won his crown at Isthmia. Theagenes is the one and only downing olympian.

So, in a world where there are tight rules and almost no corruption outside the favor always being towards gods. A world where sport is religion without hyperbole. Boxing and her boxers reign. In a world without any rules boxers reign.

Maybe MMA has found the perfect rule set to keep boxing from becoming the most important tool in the mixed martial artists' arsenal, but I am skeptical and watching the flow of things it does look like by 2090 MMA will either not exist or just be what R&T and the Pankration was before it. A neat sport that has talent but is not on the same level as boxing.

I believe this is because boxing was invented by Sparta for war. War does not give a damn about rules. Sometimes there are none, sometimes your hands are a bit tied, either way you're expected to win. Only boxing has a system able to coop with such a range.

In TMA they are open minded. What works is what's right. In boxing it is very rigid, you must do this to be successful. That's because TMA, all of them, have yet to make a system that does work regardless of who is utilizing it. Jack Dempsey said even a baby can knock a man out and Jack weren't lying. If you do what boxing tells you to do you will be successful period and end of. Most people who ever existed ever better do what boxing says to be successful or they're gonna get a whoopin'. Those who do not have to are special folk with special gifts. Ali did a ton of things wrong no one ever gives him **** for...because when Ali did it it may have been wrong to theory but it was not wrong for Ali. He had more than average speed and reflexes which allowed more variance in his fight game. TMA requires you to be Ali. There is no guarantee that if you follow X theory you will be successful and you must constantly look for something that suits you as an individual fighter.

Most tested, most proven, most complete form of fighting this world has ever seen and I didn't even get into how LPRR allowed some wrestling or what happened to that.

That said, DC would get his fat ass handed to him just like every other time in history.

Comment

Working...
                      X