No announcement yet.

Grant v Winning?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant v Winning?

For training/sparring purposes, what brand do you prefer? Need to get hold of some good gloves.

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
    For training/sparring purposes, what brand do you prefer? Need to get hold of some good gloves.
    Unless you get orthopedic Grants, they are pretty hard and unforgiving. Where Grant excels is in defense. The padding is heavier around the wrists/forearms and the leather is taught so they are great for blocking. They put the fingers in the right position and really pop on the bag but are a little stiff against sparring partners. Grant QC and customer service are pretty bad buyer beware. I've got poorly stitched gloves from them before and they couldn't be bothered to help.

Winning is a bazillion times better for hand health. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Unless you get orthopedic Grants, they are pretty hard and unforgiving. Where Grant excels is in defense. The padding is heavier around the wrists/forearms and the leather is taught so they are great for blocking. They put the fingers in the right position and really pop on the bag but are a little stiff against sparring partners. Grant QC and customer service are pretty bad buyer beware. I've got poorly stitched gloves from them before and they couldn't be bothered to help.

Winning is a bazillion times better for hand health. Period.
      Thanks man!

Comment

If you're not a pro or not seriously planning on going pro. As in you're an amateur with fights and ready to go pro.

There is no reason to get Winnings.

Great for your hands. You would have no reason for them however.

Grant will serve you well.
        Last edited by F l i c k e r; 11-20-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          If you're not a pro or not seriously planning on going pro. As in you're an amateur with fights and ready to go pro.

There is no reason to get Winnings.

Great for your hands. You would have no reason for them however.

Grant will serve you well.
          Not necessarily true. Hand health can be relevant to anyone. Not all hands are built the same. Some people have iron fists and do fine with any glove. Others generate far too much power for their own bone structure to handle. I've used a LOT of gloves and Winning are in another class entirely when it comes to protection. My career requires a steady hand and I was faced with the choice of going lighter on the bag or finding gloves that would save my hands. It had nothing to do with being a pro boxer or not.

If someone isn't faced with a problem like that I absolutely recommend a different brand that is cheaper and more rugged (Winning lining does fall apart).

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Not necessarily true. Hand health can be relevant to anyone. Not all hands are built the same. Some people have iron fists and do fine with any glove. Others generate far too much power for their own bone structure to handle. I've used a LOT of gloves and Winning are in another class entirely when it comes to protection. My career requires a steady hand and I was faced with the choice of going lighter on the bag or finding gloves that would save my hands. It had nothing to do with being a pro boxer or not.

If someone isn't faced with a problem like that I absolutely recommend a different brand that is cheaper and more rugged (Winning lining does fall apart).
            What are the orthopedic Grants like?

Comment

Any of the Grant's I have worn were pillows. There's a reason Floyd trained with them. He has bad hands. You guys need to stop asking what gloves to get though. What I like or anyone else likes won't tell you what YOU like. If you are serious about boxing, you need to go through them all until you find what works best for you. If you try 2 brands and fall in love with one of them, don't forget there's a bunch more to try that might eclipse the original pair you fell in love with.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
                Any of the Grant's I have worn were pillows. There's a reason Floyd trained with them. He has bad hands. You guys need to stop asking what gloves to get though. What I like or anyone else likes won't tell you what YOU like. If you are serious about boxing, you need to go through them all until you find what works best for you. If you try 2 brands and fall in love with one of them, don't forget there's a bunch more to try that might eclipse the original pair you fell in love with.
                Thanks for the advice. But I was just asking what gloves other people prefer. I wasn't going to base my decision on their answer, just wanted some outside opinions before I make my own.

Comment

Working...
                X