No announcement yet.

Did Arturo Gatti Deserve IBHOF Spot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rudy View Post
    All of those fighters can be addd to IBHOF no problem with that, Johnny Nelson, Tony Tubbs , Vinny Paziena they should not be in it
    Just when I forgot how Tubbs looks like, the visions are back in my head.

Comment

All I know is I will never forget him because he produced greatness in his failure.

Some never produce greatness in success.

I believe he belongs there.

Comment

Think about it like this. If you had to recommend one fight to a friend who thought boxing was boring or lacked an emotional connection. Which would it be? I have about 5 or 6 fights from him would be in the running. You can't say that, that guy only had a small impact on the sport.

Arturo Gatti is one of the most important men in boxing history.

Gatti is what grows the sport among people who don't like boxing, but do like sports.

In 50 years his name will appear on the lips of greatgrand or grandchildren when talking about the greatest fight that ever happened.

This alone earned him a place in the HOF. He wasn't the best or the greatest but if Arturo Gatti was on the card you knew the fight was worth paying to see.
        Last edited by escudo; 12-04-2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by escudo View Post
          Think about it like this. If you had to recommend one fight to a friend who thought boxing was boring or lacked an emotional connection. Which would it be? I have about 5 or 6 fights from him would be in the running. You can't say that, that guy only had a small impact on the sport.

Gatti is what grows the sport among people who don't like boxing, but do like sports.

In 50 years his name will appear on the lips of greatgrand or grandchildren when talking about the greatest fight that ever happened.

This alone earned him a place in the HOF. He wasn't the best or the greatest but if Arturo Gatti was on the card you knew the fight was worth paying to see.
          it is called the hall of ''fame'' after all.....

but we all know what it really means (or should)

''only THE GREAT shall be worthy''......and gatti was a far from great as it gets. thats why the letters are ATG, not ATF and GOAT, not FOAT.

we know there has to be a standard of ACHIEVED GREATNESS

he went to war with some random guys (ward ?!?!?!? robinson ?!?!?!?. got beaten by every respected guy and only dominated guys who were there to be dominated.

his best wins -

post prime patterson (still, decent)
          post prime grove (more hype than substance)
          post prime ruelas (one of my favorite fighters)

if losing to every credible guy you fought is enough to get in, might as well take the doors off.

Comment

further, is there any prime hofer HIS SIZE he could beat ?!?!?!

(none of that joey gamache weight advantage bullshlt)

Comment

Very well said...

Comment

There's going to be better fighters who don't get in, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                  That's my exact thinking on the matter.

Comment

Escudo

You will no doubt find in your book research, times and places where there was not even a such thing as a "winner, or loser," Where it was all in the glory to step up and fight hard, and to draw the crowd into the action. Boxing wears many hats: There is greatness, there is glory, there is entertainment value, and there is showmanship along with that aspect. Gatti represents a great entertainer, a fighter who stood for bravery and never ducking a contest... To create that image is not easy...

It is said by some who knew that the greatest, Sugar Ray Robinson, that he did not even like to fight, he wanted to be a dancer! And those who saw him dance were not impressed..

Gatti was a great entertainer, a fighter who drew people into the sport, and as an entertainer he never let us down. His fights with Ward were legendary... So there you have it, a great talent who was not a great athletic talent, a great fighter who was more an entertainer than a talent in the ring to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                      Better how? Better skilled? You bet, plenty! More entertaining? more of a folk hero? Not many!

So lets say a space ship abducts you and the aliens are kind and munificent, they ask you "we just want to ask about a few things and we will return you." The conversation turns to boxing and you are looking for an example of what an exciting fight looks like:

You would be hard pressed to find a better trilogy than Gatti Ward... That was Gatti's contribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X