Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward, who some say is #2 p4p, and others claim is better than Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Ward, who some say is #2 p4p, and others claim is better than Mayweather

Been hearing and reading this lately from a few different sources, felt the need to state my opinion:

Floyd Mayweather has fought and moved up from 130lbs, 135lbs, 140lbs, 147lbs and the
    highest weight he has fought at is 154lbs. If Ward is so much “better” than Mayweather then why is he so reluctant to move up just ONE weight class to take on either Adonis Stevenson (Light Heavyweight Champ) or Sergey Kovalev? Why cant this #2 pound for pound beast jump up 7 lbs as (Floyd has done many times)and fight and beat these top level fighters? These are the most exciting fights which can be made for him right now. Stevenson has called him out specifically and Kovalev would fight him with no hesitation. Mayweather haters are simply using Ward as a proxy to attack Floyd. This is ridiculous, and Ward would tell you this himself.

I agree Ward should move up. So let's get that out of the way. And he's not better than Floyd so there is no argument for him being #1 at the moment.

But in all fairness, Floyd didn't CLEAN those divisions out which is what Ward has done at 168. His run at 140 was basically nothing.

Comment

Ward has challenge himself more, his resume is probably the best in boxing, n he barely reached to his prime

Looking forward at Ward cleaning out 175

Comment

I like Ward and I think he's elite, but he needs to get more active pretty soon and taking on some of these bigger names around the weight neighborhood, or else I'd be for him losing that #2 spot.

Comment

It's easier to move up weight classes when you start at 130 pounds and still growing versus higher weights like 168.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            It's easier to move up weight classes when you start at 130 pounds and still growing versus higher weights like 168.
            ^^^^^this.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
              Plus has has already moved up, he started as a "MW"

Comment

Ward and Mayeather have some things in common. Both are ranked as the top tier of fighters in the world, one acts "classy" and the other one acts like "the villain" yet both have huge amounts of fans that just want to see them take bigger and bigger risks until they lose. I wonder what else they have in common that would offset the differences in personality and cause so many people to react the exact same way with the exact same set of unfair standards.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGloveLove View Post
                  Ward and Mayeather have some things in common. Both are ranked as the top tier of fighters in the world, one acts "classy" and the other one acts like "the villain" yet both have huge amounts of fans that just want to see them take bigger and bigger risks until they lose. I wonder what else they have in common that would offset the differences in personality and cause so many people to react the exact same way with the exact same set of unfair standards.
                  being on top demands higher standards, that's part of the being considered the best. to a certain extent, they have to challenge themselves and at least take all comers in their weight class. you can't claim to be the best ever and then fight amir khan when better, more legacy defining fights are available in 147 and 154.

Comment

Originally posted by pnksntdead View Post
                    being on top demands higher standards, that's part of the being considered the best. to a certain extent, they have to challenge themselves and at least take all comers in their weight class. you can't claim to be the best ever and then fight amir khan when better, more legacy defining fights are available in 147 and 154.

Ward has been taking on all comers in his weight class though. And all it's invited is people frothing at the mouth for him to move up because all of a sudden on this guy dominating your division is not good enough. Why isn't it good enough? Because there's not enough chance of him losing when all things are equal. Mayweather took the best on for years. If people have a problem with him taking an easy fight with a money name on the back of his unification bout with an undefeated guy that a lot of people practically demanded until it was signed (when it became not good enough by way of magic) then that's their problem. He already slayed the dragon numerous times. I'm sorry they haven't lost. I know it hurts. But you have to fight through the pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X