No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's relationship with Jim Jacobs turned bitter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
    Was it the fact that Jimmy used to kiss young Mike on the lips? Kevin Rooney and probably others would be guilty of that too.

I do know what you mean with Jacobs though. The way he talks about Tyson and their relationship was weird. See this interview:

Yes I think you have to question D'Amato's motives for bringing all these vulnerable young boys to live in his home. I mean D'Amato shared a bed with Patterson during training camps, i'm just suspicious about whether D'Amato had got into that habit when Patterson was much younger, I think he was 14 when he first met D'Amato.

Yeah the way that Jacobs talks about Tyson in that interview is incredibly creepy, always referring to him as a boy and the way his face lights up when talking about how Tyson touches him.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Like what? Can you give some examples?
    The whole cultish way everyone associated with him talks about him for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
      Yes I think you have to question D'Amato's motives for bringing all these vulnerable young boys to live in his home. I mean D'Amato shared a bed with Patterson during training camps, i'm just suspicious about whether D'Amato had got into that habit when Patterson was much younger, I think he was 14 when he first met D'Amato.

Yeah the way that Jacobs talks about Tyson in that interview is incredibly creepy, always referring to him as a boy and the way his face lights up when talking about how Tyson touches him.
      Hah man that took a dark turn, maybe I shouldn't have asked I didn't know about Cus sharing the bed with Patterson. I'm not willing to concede on the young kids living with him and his wife though. It was like a foster home for troubled youth. They would improve their lives while becoming boxers, the D'Amato's would be helping the next generation by keeping them off the streets while potentially training up and coming pro's who could become a source of income. It worked, as he struck the lottery eventually by finding a genetic freak like Tyson.

I do stick by my original premise of this thread though. That while Don King was the worst option, it wasn't like the catskills teams were ultimate angels like history has made it seem.

Tyson himself was a terrible human being for the vast majority of his life too, so it's not like I care about this the same way I used to. In this story, pretty much everybody was a user in some way.

Comment

yeah .. James Leslie "Jim" Jacobs was a handball player, boxing manager, comic book and boxing film collector..

Comment

Hah man that took a dark turn, maybe I shouldn't have asked I didn't know about Cus sharing the bed with Patterson. I'm not willing to concede on the young kids living with him and his wife though. It was like a foster home for troubled youth. They would improve their lives while becoming boxers, the D'Amato's would be helping the next generation by keeping them off the streets while potentially training up and coming pro's who could become a source of income. It worked, as he struck the lottery eventually by finding a genetic freak like Tyson.

I do stick by my original premise of this thread though. That while Don King was the worst option, it wasn't like the catskills teams were ultimate angels like history has made it seem.

Tyson himself was a terrible human being for the vast majority of his life too, so it's not like I care about this the same way I used to. In this story, pretty much everybody was a user in some way.
          Hopefully my (and others) suspicions about D'Amato aren't true. Even if D'Amato wasn't as bad as I think he was he certainly wasn't a good guy. Ingemar Johansson wrote an article in LIFE magazine detailing Cus D'Amato's dodgy business ways, I think it was this episode that got D'Amato's manager licence suspended. Johansson labelled D'Amato a 'little Napoleon'.

As for Jacobs he did also manage Edwin Rosario, not sure if i've ever read about how his management of him went. Jacobs and Clayton did manage Benitez for a while too but Benitez bought them out, i'm not sure about the details of that either but perhaps both of those cases might shed some light upon whether Jacobs was a shady manager or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post

It took a lot of cuddling to get Floyd back on track after the Liston fight.
            Last edited by The Old LefHook; 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Cus was a tremendous repository of boxing knowledge. By sleeping with his fighters they could pump him any time of night.

Comment

Until mike says anything himself I won't believe it.

Comment

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/bill...or-mike-tyson/

“Had Jim lived I don’t know what would have happened, but before King managed to get his hooks into Tyson and poison his mind, something even worse happened: Mike became obsessed with a woman named Robin Givens, whom he married. I should say that he married her and her mother, because they actually came as a team, and these people were not good people. Mike was thoroughly obsessed by her.

“I’ve known other men, brilliant executives in their 40s, who have fallen in love with beautiful young women – sometimes not even beautiful – and became so obsessed by them that they leave their wives, their families.
                  I’ve seen it happen to mature men, so I can understand it happening to a boy like Mike. To him, Robin was a fairy princess; educated, classy, an actress.

“Jim and I had heard rumours about Robin and her mother, but Mike was rushed into marrying her by a phony pregnancy so we tried to make the best of it. Yet Robin was claiming that we were trying to break up her marriage, when all the time we were trying to ensure that he stayed married.

“I knew she was a phony from the very beginning, but Mike was so brainwashed by her that he didn’t even realise she’d made a monkey of him."
                  -Bill Cayton (1991).

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                    Until mike says anything himself I won't believe it.
                    Why do you think Mike is a source of truth though? He admitted to cheating out of drug tests using a fake penis but he will deny it if you ask him if he ever used steroids or HGH. He admitted to beating up and sexually assaulting women but he'll vehemently deny the rape charges. He's not such an honest individual like his fans proclaim.

Comment

Why do you think Mike is a source of truth though? He admitted to cheating out of drug tests using a fake penis but he will deny it if you ask him if he ever used steroids or HGH. He admitted to beating up and sexually assaulting women but he'll vehemently deny the rape charges. He's not such an honest individual like his fans proclaim.
                      When did he admit sexually asaulting someone?.

Comment

Working...
                      X