No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux a Hall of Famer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigondeaux a Hall of Famer?

If Rigo retired today, would he be a hall of famer?

A related question: Does your amateur record have an influence on if you get into the hall of fame?

If his amateur background is included, no questions he's a hall of famer.
    Yes
    23.53%
    No
    76.47%

The answer to your first is absolutely not.

And to answer your second question Bernard Hopkins didn't have much of an amateur background and he's still H.O.F bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Frog View Post
      If Rigo retired today, would he be a hall of famer?

A related question: Does your amateur record have an influence on if you get into the hall of fame?

If his amateur background is included, no questions he's a hall of famer.
      He never built on the Donaire win. Really he is a HOF calibre fighter but without the resume to justify it.

I think the amateur background does have an influence but your professional achievements have to stand up on their own merit. For example if a guy has a borderline HOF worthy professional career, but also has an Olympic gold medal and impressive amateur career, that can maybe push him over the top.

I think Rigo needs one more big win. Maybe a title at featherweight, a win over Leo, Frampton, Russell, probably gets him in.

It's all subjective of course. Some people might already feel he's in, some people may feel he is way off.

I think the Lomachenko debacle has left a sour taste in people's mouth. He needs to rebound with something big.

Comment

He probably will. Laszlo Papp was inducted into IBHOF based largely upon his amateur record. 3 gold medals in two weight classes in three separate Olympic Games. Record of 288-12 as amateur and 27-0-2 as pro. Communism prevented him from continuing pro career.
        Last edited by GhostofDempsey; 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
          The answer to your first is absolutely not.

And to answer your second question Bernard Hopkins didn't have much of an amateur background and he's still H.O.F bound.
          Thanks.

Regarding my "amateur" question, I definitely didn't intend to say a good/great amateur background is required for HOF entry.

Comment

hell naww.

one upset win, inactivity and a quit job. thats his legacy.

Comment

no........

Comment

Nowhere near. Beating Donaire alone is not good enough to get you HOF. He had HOF potential but hasn't boxed enough to be considered. He quit in his biggest fight for God's sake.

Comment

Anybody with two gold medals gets in, I'm sure.

So, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    He probably will. Laszlo Papp was inducted into IBHOF based largely upon his amateur record. 3 gold medals in two weight classes in three separate weight classes. Record of 288-12 as amateur and 27-0-2 as pro. Communism prevented him from continuing pro career.
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                    X