Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The things people forget about Douglas-Tyson.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson was also knocked down by McCall in their sparring session in that week of the fight.

During the fight, Tyson's corner did not have the enswell needed to prevent swelling and NO ICE. WTF guys....really?

But you can't blame all external forces on his loss to Douglas. Tyson stopped using his iconic bob and weave style that made him so hard to hit by taller fighters with longer reach. His corner was expecting Tyson's power would prevail.

Sounds like something Wilder has been relying on lately. Without the basic fundamentals, you can't expect to win the fight by KO all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
      Tyson’s pre fight problems are well documented but Douglas’ tend to go under the radar.

In the build up to the Tyson fight Douglas had:

-Lost his Mother, who passed away suddenly due to a stroke, less than a month before the fight.

-Had been divorced by his wife.

-His new partner was battling cancer.

-He’d had a falling out with his father and longtime trainer. (rumoured to be over his performance in the Tucker fight)

-He contracted the flu a day before the fight.

-Had been crucified by the media as a “quitter” due to his efforts in his previous world title fight against Tucker.

32 years later it still amazes me how James Douglas won that fight.
      Douglass was also knocked out in that fight and should've been counted out

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
        Tyson was also knocked down by McCall in their sparring session in that week of the fight.

During the fight, Tyson's corner did not have the enswell needed to prevent swelling and NO ICE. WTF guys....really?

But you can't blame all external forces on his loss to Douglas. Tyson stopped using his iconic bob and weave style that made him so hard to hit by taller fighters with longer reach. His corner was expecting Tyson's power would prevail.

Sounds like something Wilder has been relying on lately. Without the basic fundamentals, you can't expect to win the fight by KO all the time.
        His corner ended up using a condom with ice instead of an endswell IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Beterbiev#1 View Post
          Douglass was also knocked out in that fight and should've been counted out
          Let it go dude.😂😂

Douglas won fair and square.

Comment

Let it go dude.😂😂

You saw the fight lol You tell me if he didn't have at least 12 seconds to get up

In fact when the ref was on 9, instead of saying 10 in the next second, he held it until Douglass got up...

Lol you saw it... You tell me

Comment

Let it go dude.😂😂

He's right though...

Comment

Tyson’s pre fight problems are well documented but Douglas’ tend to go under the radar.

In the build up to the Tyson fight Douglas had:

-Lost his Mother, who passed away suddenly due to a stroke, less than a month before the fight.

-Had been divorced by his wife.

-His new partner was battling cancer.

-He’d had a falling out with his father and longtime trainer. (rumoured to be over his performance in the Tucker fight)

-He contracted the flu a day before the fight.

-Had been crucified by the media as a “quitter” due to his efforts in his previous world title fight against Tucker.

32 years later it still amazes me how James Douglas won that fight.
                I am amazed by that too.
                That would have put most people into the hospital or mental hospital just from the stress of it all.

Still, not to be the naysayer, having watched the fight not too long ago, I think he got a little extra time to get up from that shot from Tyson. Still, it says something that he got up at all and finished Tyson off.

Great fight, will always be remembered by boxing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Beterbiev#1 View Post
                  You saw the fight lol You tell me if he didn't have at least 12 seconds to get up

In fact when the ref was on 9, instead of saying 10 in the next second, he held it until Douglass got up...

Lol you saw it... You tell me
                  You do realise the count is to the digression of referee, right?

I believe the rules state “the referee determines when to start and stop a count”. A count is not timed it is counted by the referee.

Was there a mix up between referee and timekeeper? Yes, but the timekeepers count is largely irrelevant, it’s the referee’s count which is final.

Octavio Meyran obviously felt Douglas was good to continue on 9, whilst Tyson was evidently done and . Didn’t Tyson’s count actually last around 14 seconds as well? So there was obviously consistency.

Douglas got up in that 8th round an went on to win that fight. I don’t think the count should take anything away from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
                    I am amazed by that too.
                    That would have put most people into the hospital or mental hospital just from the stress of it all.

Still, not to be the naysayer, having watched the fight not too long ago, I think he got a little extra time to get up from that shot from Tyson. Still, it says something that he got up at all and finished Tyson off.

Great fight, will always be remembered by boxing fans.
                    Yeah he showed incredible mental fortitude in and out of the ring.

As I just said to another guy, I think the whole count situation shouldn’t take anything away from what Douglas achieved that day.

Comment

Yeah people make out like Buster was some journeyman no hoper.

He was a solid contender at world level.

If you’re not fully prepared and an opponent that’s still operating somewhere around world level has their best night, then you will be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X