Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Promotions, ESPN Announce Multi-Year TV Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haymon copy cat, but i'm all for free boxing.

Comment

• Congratulations

For all of the folks, on this site and other sites, belly-aching about missing "Friday Night Fights", ESPN went out and found that type of program again for ESPN2.

Oscar De La Hoya's young prospect versus aging vet with underwater record, fighting 1-3 weight classes beyond when he was still physically competitive and likely about that many years past their prime. lol

ESPN will run their 8-show summer series on ESPN (though the biggest fights likely won't end up their, name guys on return against solid guys and top prospect vs top prospect fights will carry the summer series), and then fans will see the types of shows being put on ESPN2 by Golden Boy, and the reaction will be what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Not at all. Just watching you move the conversation toward me. Don't wanna talk about drastic cuts anymore?
        I was going to let you talk more about that crappy theory Haymon had to put PBC fights on monthly fight cards on ESPN.

But yeah, look at the number of fight cards per year the PBC planned on at the outset, and how many they've actually had per year...they were drastically reduced from what was planned and announced.

How many of the originally-announced 24 episodes have they actually had?

But keep celebrating the summer dump that ESPN did with the PBC last year...and could well do again this year.
        Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 01-19-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
          I was going to let you talk more about that crappy theory Haymon had to put PBC fights on monthly fight cards on ESPN.

But yeah, look at the number of fight cards per year the PBC planned on at the outset, and how many they've actually had per year...they were drastically reduced from what was planned and announced.

How many of the 24 episodes have they actually had?

But keep celebrating the summer dump that ESPN did with the PBC last year...and could well do again this year.
          Ok guess we'll see

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
            Pbc paid for dates espn can't just say we'll pbc paid us already so let's give the date to someone else that's my point. Not sure if the contract pbc has allows that and even if they did espn is not wasting dates on prospects that won't draw large audiences. Even when they produced fights in house they didn't and those fights aired on espn2 instead. Whike they used espn for higher profile events and programming.

And if these fights they aired on espn already were raising these fighters profiles the ratings would not suck for pbc or guys who drew higher ratings before pbc on showtime wouldn't be going back to showtime drawing half what they used to. Instead the opposite has actually happened.

And espn clearly has the right to do deals with the rival of pbc my point is they wouldn't if they were satisfied by pbc which clearly they are not so they went else where to get the monthly boxing content that pbc isn't giving them. Pbc keeps changing the dates, pushing back and canceling shows which left espn with only 3 months of boxing content last year. Nobody knows for sure if or when pbc will actually appear on espn dont give me dates woth no fights because thats all they did in 2016 where fights never happened and they punted all their dates to 2017 leaving espn with little to no boxing content on their networks. That's where golden boy comes in as they can consistently provide boxing content every month something after year 1 when money became an issue pbc can't say.
            actually they can, pbc paid for air time but havent been prominent in the scheduling dates so espn does reserve to right to give that air time to someone else which they did in 2016.

they go back to showtime bc showtime can actually pay them more for the time and pbc does not have to pay showtime like the network deals. plus showtime has sacrificed tons of their viewership to compete directly with streaming. you can watch undercards and media events on facebook now and youtube bc of showtime flexibility leaving just the main even or main card to air on the channel. plus showtime allows you to stream their prime schedule on their app. take a notice why the nfl is using twitter to stream thursday night football since the tv rating for it isnt bringing what they thought of. more sports will eventually switch to this format as ratings for sports alone drop unless its like major events like the superbowl and national title game or the world series where ad companies spend and make millions grabbing air time. which boxing the best fights get put on PPV but with more en****** of boxing on free networks maybe we'll see a shift in the landscape.

i already answered the last point btw, espn has the right to allow anyone on their network unless there is a deal in place where they cant. and lastly GBP gets a 2nd crack at their ESPN deal and lets hope they dont mess it up like they did back in the late 2000s when they put fights worse than FNF on the network

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Ok guess we'll see
              Just keep repeating to yourself "This year's the year they get to 12!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                For all of the folks, on this site and other sites, belly-aching about missing "Friday Night Fights", ESPN went out and found that type of program again for ESPN2.

Oscar De La Hoya's young prospect versus aging vet with underwater record, fighting 1-3 weight classes beyond when he was still physically competitive and likely about that many years past their prime. lol

ESPN will run their 8-show summer series on ESPN (though the biggest fights likely won't end up their, name guys on return against solid guys and top prospect vs top prospect fights will carry the summer series), and then fans will see the types of shows being put on ESPN2 by Golden Boy, and the reaction will be what it is.
                they tried this before and it failed horrible till espn got rid of their series, lets hope this time for the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
                  Just keep repeating to yourself "This year's the year they get to 12!"

Ok

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Good move by GBP. I'm looking forward to the show that covers the boxers' training.

Haymon dropped the ball with ESPN. Got rid of Friday Night Fights and didn't replace it with any regular telecasts of equal or greater value.
                    ESPN doesn't have the space on their bandwidth to regularly air fights, and PBC helped confirm that in their two years; with football (NFL/NCAAF) dominating the Fall/Winter and ESPN's stake in airing basketball, the coming PBC summer series on ESPN (during the lull in the sport's season that comes with the end of football, and only starts to pick up as basketball starts to head into the playoffs) is about what ESPN could've logically targeted to pay for anyway.

ESPN was never going to pick boxing over college football, and ABC wasn't ever going to pick boxing over playoff basketball.

I doubt that the honeymoon lasts long; folks will remember, in short order, why the audience for Friday Night Fights ended up being what it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnyc420 View Post
                      More boxing on tv, doesnt matter if it is PBC or GBP is good news to me. I just ask for less mismatches is all.
                      Golden Boy Live has been around for a while, and Oscar De La Hoya has been in charge of running things at Golden Boy for two years now.

How many competitive fights have you seen Oscar De La Hoya choose to put on?

Comment

Working...
                      X