No announcement yet.

The main thing that annoys me about the boxing fanbase: revisionist history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The main thing that annoys me about the boxing fanbase: revisionist history

I saw a good post in the "is ward the next broner" thread.

While I don't agree with the thread itself it bought up a good point about how people will never admit they got taken in by hype.

Example being currently we have two hype jobs in my opinion

Golovkin and Luis Ortiz

I've pointed out that both have terrible resumes and all either has really done is beat up a bunch of C level fighters.

They remind me of guys like Lucian Bute, Broner himself, Arthur Abraham and others

Thing is I was around when these guys were popular

In golovkin case I'm sure most of his fans were Bute and Abraham fans as well.

I mean both of those guys had pretty large fanbases on here when they were murdering B level fighters, but you'd honestly belive nobody thought they were any good.

Is it going to be the same when luis Ortiz loses?

Like all of the "odlanier Solis is the most skilled heavyweight, Vitali is ducking him" crew

Because yes, I remember that crew. They are the same guys who now ride Ortiz and all claim they knew Solis was a bum.

It's sad mayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums! View Post
      I saw a good post in the "is ward the next broner" thread.

While I don't agree with the thread itself it bought up a good point about how people will never admit they got taken in by hype.

Example being currently we have two hype jobs in my opinion

Golovkin and Luis Ortiz

I've pointed out that both have terrible resumes and all either has really done is beat up a bunch of C level fighters.

They remind me of guys like Lucian Bute, Broner himself, Arthur Abraham and others

Thing is I was around when these guys were popular

In golovkin case I'm sure most of his fans were Bute and Abraham fans as well.

I mean both of those guys had pretty large fanbases on here when they were murdering B level fighters, but you'd honestly belive nobody thought they were any good.

Is it going to be the same when luis Ortiz loses?

Like all of the "odlanier Solis is the most skilled heavyweight, Vitali is ducking him" crew

Because yes, I remember that crew. They are the same guys who now ride Ortiz and all claim they knew Solis was a bum.
      Hype jobs are part of every sport,sooner or later they loose and people chose another ,like you said from one train to other,just ignore it and let them have theyr imaginary champions who beat cans.

Comment

GGG has a damn good resume. All those fighters that ducked him took an L on their record.

So that means GGG has wins over:
        Canelo
        Ward
        Froch
        Strum
        Martinez
        Saunders
        Eubanks
        Cotto

Comment

I necessarily don't consider Golovkin a hype job, and Ortiz is unproven against A+ compition. Golovkin Unfortunately is in a weak divison holding onto a goal that will be achievable but while losing his prime time of making legitimately interesting fights. If you want to blame someone blame the blueprint of "least risk for high reward". Golovkin is talkfest the least amount of risk as possible to lose the 0, something not so uncommon. To call Golovkin a hype job though is ridiculous, hating, trolling type stuff. Golovkin obviously has an amazing amateur history, along with a pleasing style and serious power... he may not be as chiseled as believed but to call him a hype job is ridiculous.

Ortiz on the other hand shouldn't even be talked about, for one it's the Heavyweight divison and it is unlike any divison in boxing history. For two, Ortiz is a legit boxer, with amateur pedigree but obviously soon to be over the hill and that being sooner than later. Saying that, Ortiz is a stylistic nightmare for both Joshua and Wilder. I won't include Fury because of unknown to his future but a fight with Klitchko I feel would be a bore fest.

Just trying to state, that their futures are unknown but that does not mean they are a hype job. Both have been in against the best that was offered. I feel Govlovkin has a much better chance to explore different paths and more toward a greater part in boxing history but if not, what is so horrible matching or making history? Serious question?

Comment

Originally posted by (...Y...) View Post
            GGG has a damn good resume. All those fighters that ducked him took an L on their record.

So that means GGG has wins over:
            Canelo
            Ward
            Froch
            Strum
            Martinez
            Saunders
            Eubanks
            Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
              I necessarily don't consider Golovkin a hype job, and Ortiz is unproven against A+ compition. Golovkin Unfortunately is in a weak divison holding onto a goal that will be achievable but while losing his prime time of making legitimately interesting fights. If you want to blame someone blame the blueprint of "least risk for high reward". Golovkin is talkfest the least amount of risk as possible to lose the 0, something not so uncommon. To call Golovkin a hype job though is ridiculous, hating, trolling type stuff. Golovkin obviously has an amazing amateur history, along with a pleasing style and serious power... he may not be as chiseled as believed but to call him a hype job is ridiculous.

Ortiz on the other hand shouldn't even be talked about, for one it's the Heavyweight divison and it is unlike any divison in boxing history. For two, Ortiz is a legit boxer, with amateur pedigree but obviously soon to be over the hill and that being sooner than later. Saying that, Ortiz is a stylistic nightmare for both Joshua and Wilder. I won't include Fury because of unknown to his future but a fight with Klitchko I feel would be a bore fest.

Just trying to state, that their futures are unknown but that does not mean they are a hype job. Both have been in against the best that was offered. I feel Govlovkin has a much better chance to explore different paths and more toward a greater part in boxing history but if not, what is so horrible matching or making history? Serious question?
              Maybe GGG is ducked by some ,but his team take a blame too,they are not takeing risks cuse they want to cash out and that make me think that they dont belive in his god level boxing(on NSB his god),but i agree that he is good boxer with perfect basics.I can say he is a Hype job cuse of his hype(its so big that he wont live up to the expectations)

Comment

I agree, though a lot of the fans following a certain action fighter don't seem to have been around long enough to have been fans of the guys you mention. Their boxing knowledge seems pretty shallow, often box-rec'd. We saw a similar fanbase come and go in the Pacquiao era. I think action fighters just draw a lot of new, passionate fans.
                I'm very welcoming of new fans, just not big mouthed ones that like to fabricate history and facts.

Comment

Funny thing, being a Canadian, I always thought Bute was a second rate champion. Don't remind him beating anyone decent.

I just recently found out that he was the object of a cult among white hypists. I also recently found out that some people actually believe Andre Ward ducked him. You won't believe my shock.

I think a large portion of people here don't like the way the past of boxing has been looking and are trying to go back in time to replace old fighters with fighters they can "identify" with or feel comfortable rooting for because they are just too racist or insecure to root for black fighters.

But Golovkin's resume will never be able to match up with the greats of old if his biggest wins are Canelo Alvarez and Danny Jacobs. His biggest two wins are against guys who haven't accomplished a thing in the sport of boxing. Murray is most well known for his losses and Lemieux's best win is against Hassan Ndam.

Even Kell Brook had a thin resume before facing Golovkin and was a joke around this board for facing Jo Jo Dan and Kevin Bizier, then he suddenly became SRL to make the win look better for GGG.

Only way GGG can become a ATG is if he beats Andre Ward. Then he starts entering discussions. But until then, hes just profiting from the vacuum in the middleweight division.

Comment

I hate it too ty, these eurocrakkkas be hating on pbc and the big homie al tryna say they broke but they still on top
                    Last edited by Weebler I; 10-06-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X