Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev vs Ward Slowmo punch count round by round.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    Kovalev outlanded Ward 2-1, and was the agressor. So doesn't that factor ring generalship and defense?
    I never knew you get credit for defense in punching your opponent. Interesting indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      I never knew you get credit for defense in punching your opponent. Interesting indeed.
      Ward landed 50% less than Kovalev. That would mean, Kovalev's defense is better. Kovalev landed twice more than Andre Ward, that would mean Andre Ward's defense is not better than Kovalev's.

Logic 101

Comment

Ward landed 50% less than Kovalev. That would mean, Kovalev's defense is better. Kovalev landed twice more than Andre Ward, that would mean Andre Ward's defense is not better than Kovalev's.

Logic 101
        Great logic we should hand judges punch stats before rendering the verdict...better yet compubox should score fights.

Comment

I'm saying there is context to be applied in making judgement : defense, ring-generalship are not factored in these videos and only serve in suggesting Kovalev 'won' this fight and that Ward got a gift. Not so.
          You're right, but scoring punches are 90% of the issue. I wouldn't use final tallies to judge entire fights, as a guy could win 4 rounds really big and still lose.

But within single rounds, if one guy lands 20 punches (10 power shots, 10 jabs) and the other guy lands 8 punches (4 & 4) then odds are the first guy won the round. It's not a hard & fast guarantee, but it's as close as you're going to get.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyROnVf1n4E

In the criteria of clean punches landed: Knuckles contacting the skin.

Slaps are not allowed.

Lowblows are called.

Consensus of the Video:
            Kovalev: 155 punches landed
            Ward: 79
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwuEorwEo-k

Kovalev - 126
            Ward - 116

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBdsE0rDzg
            Kovalev - 222
            Ward - 167

These kind of videos are bull****. Edited, punches counted that miss/block/can't be seen. Made by the losers fans usually.

Comment

I watched the fight live. I don't need slow motion to revisit a close fight

Edit: Also, What Isaac Clarke said^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                You're right, but scoring punches are 90% of the issue. I wouldn't use final tallies to judge entire fights, as a guy could win 4 rounds really big and still lose.

But within single rounds, if one guy lands 20 punches (10 power shots, 10 jabs) and the other guy lands 8 punches (4 & 4) then odds are the first guy won the round. It's not a hard & fast guarantee, but it's as close as you're going to get.
                Well I never read in the scoring manual that there is a percentage assigned to punches by this criteria technique and defense is grossly overlooked and really one can appreciate skill and defense over aggression. Consider the tale of the great Willie Pep, how he won a single round without throwing a punch vs. Jackie Graves and even called the round...depending on who you ask if they fought today I think many on this board would of given the round to Graves on sheer aggression alone...so its all subjective. -- BTW I understand that the general consensus favors punches over defense I was only kidding.

Comment

this guys videos are a joke.

besides this is pro boxing, judges are not sitting there counting punches.

Compubox was created to give the viewers something cute to look at. it's rarely accurate and it's never factored into the scorecard.

just watch his punch count video for Mayweather/Maidana 1. he gave Maidana credit for landing more than 20 punches in round one even though half were rabbit punches.

judges have to score on the spot using four criteria. of course judges have biases like we all do but you can't do much about that.

Comment

Consider the tale of the great Willie Pep, how he won a single round without throwing a punch vs. Jackie Graves
                    That is a myth. It never happened.

Landed punches are the core of the sport, and yes they by far outweigh all other factors.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X